Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Wymsey

The Queen has passed away

2 minutes ago, Parafox said:

Jeez. The Queen was about 5ft 3" tall and can't have been much more than 9 stone. I know lead is heavy but, 31 stone?

Those guys have some serious muscle.

I read that the coffin is lined with lead to delay decomposition. Add to that, the coffin itself would have been the finest oak there ever was. Apparently the wood was rescued from Sandringham. 

6 minutes ago, Scotch said:

I read that the coffin is lined with lead to delay decomposition. Add to that, the coffin itself would have been the finest oak there ever was. Apparently the wood was rescued from Sandringham. 

I believe it's lead lined to avoid the natural process of post-burial in the ground, where insects and so on, get into a normal coffin and assist with decomposition by eating at the decomposing flesh. 

• Like 1

One of the most moving things for me in today's ceremony, was at the end when the lone piper walked away, the pipes getting fainter and more distant.

Lump in throat moment for me.

And the final procession along a normal country lane to Windsor. Never seen before. History witnessed right there and then. So much of previously unseen historical events. We've seen it, experienced it and, for me, an experience I'll likely never see again.

• Like 1

Was working so didnt see much. Browsed through some videos. Definitely a British sending off (no doubt). Wouldn't expect anything less. Nice to see the Royal Canadian Mounted Police making an appearance. 

R.I.P.

Edited by Jattdogg
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, kenny said:

I think you look for the very worst in society and find it under every corner. I think you are very wrong in your assessment.

I think that by virtue of finding those "very worst", I'm not wrong in my assessment. I don't deny that I look for that either, however, I also look for (and find) the abundant grace that exists in society too, such as a fair bit of what was seen at the funeral ceremony today.

Humanity is capable of both light and dark and I find it best to consider both.

In any case, today was a triumph of pomp and ceremony of a standard few nations can reach, and it all went very smoothly too (as others mentioned, even the weather was good), so there should be some pride in that.

58 minutes ago, Trav Le Bleu said:

News this morning:

The period of national mourning has ended.

Continues to talk about it for the majority of the programme. 

That is why Holly Willoughby and Phillip Schofield were supposedly "queue jumping" at the lying in state of the Queen.

So they could film some sort of feature on it for today's This Morning.

Probably need some sort of big political news for everyone to move on. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, leicsmac said:

I think that by virtue of finding those "very worst", I'm not wrong in my assessment. I don't deny that I look for that either, however, I also look for (and find) the abundant grace that exists in society too, such as a fair bit of what was seen at the funeral ceremony today.

Humanity is capable of both light and dark and I find it best to consider both.

In any case, today was a triumph of pomp and ceremony of a standard few nations can reach, and it all went very smoothly too (as others mentioned, even the weather was good), so there should be some pride in that.

Looks like you’re softening to a theistic worldview, or at least borrowing from one to make your points. Nice to see. 

2 hours ago, Corky said:

The amount of people taking pictures and videoing the hearse was ridiculous. Totally disrespectful too.

I thought similar. All those arms raised in an almost Nazi style with phones in their hands. There was one shot of a young woman watching the procession through her phone as she was filming it. 

9 minutes ago, Parafox said:

I thought similar. All those arms raised in an almost Nazi style with phones in their hands. There was one shot of a young woman watching the procession through her phone as she was filming it. 

I went to the proclamation in the Town Hall Sq and just as it was about to begin, some young woman moved in front of me holding her phone on high. 

I politely asked her to move.

As an aside; why do most folk hold their camera in portrait when filming. Look at your TV for a clue on which way you should be holding it