Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Wymsey

The Queen has passed away

7 minutes ago, Free Falling Foxes said:

I went to the proclamation in the Town Hall Sq and just as it was about to begin, some young woman moved in front of me holding her phone on high. 

I politely asked her to move.

As an aside; why do most folk hold their camera in portrait when filming. Look at your TV for a clue on which way you should be holding it

I know but, from what I saw on TV yesterday, most seemed to be using widescreen/landscape.

As another aside, my sis in law had a pre-planned visit to London this weekend. She contacted the hotel during the week to ask for an extra night on Sunday so she could stay for the funeral. She got it at £200. When she later tried to book for her friend the cost had gone up to £700!

53 minutes ago, Raj said:

Thought it would  be more than that to be honest, considering the populations over 60 million.

Seemed the whole country was inside at tte time.

I doubt the figure too. Maybe 20 odd million was the figure at any one time..Surely nigh on 75% - if not more-  of the nation may had had it on for 15 mins plus at some point

11 hours ago, Super_horns said:

That is why Holly Willoughby and Phillip Schofield were supposedly "queue jumping" at the lying in state of the Queen.

So they could film some sort of feature on it for today's This Morning.

Probably need some sort of big political news for everyone to move on. 

This Mourning 

• Haha 2

29 minutes ago, Trav Le Bleu said:

28 million people watched the Queen's funeral.

67 million people in the UK.

Surely the story here is 39 million people found something else to do.

Those figures make no sense, presumably the 28 million is the TVs tuned in? There could be up to 10 people watching one TV!

Edited by Tuna

3 hours ago, Raj said:

Thought it would  be more than that to be honest, considering the populations over 60 million.

Yes was thinking it seem low but maybe people just wanted to watch brief moments ?

58 minutes ago, Tuna said:

Those figures make no sense, presumably the 28 million is the TVs tuned in? There could be up to 10 people watching one TV!

Good point .

Bit like the Euro final was higher but bet millions watched it at the pub or together at a mates .

7 hours ago, Benguin said:

Looks like you’re softening to a theistic worldview, or at least borrowing from one to make your points. Nice to see. 

Hello. It's good to see you back again after your ban. :)

I'll keep this brief and will not reply here as it is ostensibly off-topic, but...

- I've always maintained an agnostic worldview. I wouldn't dismiss the idea of some kind of higher being out of hand but empiricism is the way one would convince me of anything, so if you think a great deity of some kind exists then fair enough but if you're going to convince me you're good to need solid empirical evidence.

- The words of a book of allegory and some things that happened in history written by fallible humans over a thousand years ago doesn't have a monopoly on generating worldviews and simply because said worldviews align with what might be deemed a "theistic" perspective in places, doesn't mean they are in any way to do with them. People can in fact arrive at similar conclusions from differing directions.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Raj said:

I always take the dogs to an isolated abandoned WWII airfield and we never normally see a soul. It was busier than a busy thing on the day - dog owners, families, throngs of people out in the air instead of watching Mournfest. 

10 hours ago, Raj said:

I was wondering this on the day. I think a lot of folk will have stayed at home because there was nothing else to do - it's not like you could go to B&Q or do the food shopping

• Haha 1

36 minutes ago, Daggers said:

I always take the dogs to an isolated abandoned WWII airfield and we never normally see a soul. It was busier than a busy thing on the day - dog owners, families, throngs of people out in the air instead of watching Mournfest. 

But it was our Queeny, she was a right larf and was so down to earth..

23 hours ago, Parafox said:

I thought similar. All those arms raised in an almost Nazi style with phones in their hands. There was one shot of a young woman watching the procession through her phone as she was filming it. 

I did that yesterday when getting a tin of pineapple chunks out of the top cupboard....

I`ll hand myself in to the nearest re-education centre first thing tomorrow afternoon.

No sympathy for the BBC.

2012 Olympics coverage, paid for by taxpayers and broadcast using taxpayer money, if you want to watch back anything from it you have to buy their official DVD from the Beeb yourself; no library of footage to be found on their site either.

It was a funeral. If the family don't want all of it on show and open, fair enough. The whole thing has been rather morbid.

5 minutes ago, Jaspa said:

No sympathy for the BBC.

2012 Olympics coverage, paid for by taxpayers and broadcast using taxpayer money, if you want to watch back anything from it you have to buy their official DVD from the Beeb yourself; no library of footage to be found on their site either.

It was a funeral. If the family don't want all of it on show and open, fair enough. The whole thing has been rather morbid.

Good points. :appl:Although previous posts are not a bone of contention, and I don't think @superhorns was being contentious, just pointing out a fact.

Edited by Parafox
  • Like 1