Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
moore_94

Football Manager 2023

Well, I've only gone a bloody bought it then :D

I've created a roughly Europe-wide game, (I've added a lot of East-European teams as view only), but have no idea what I want my management style to be.  How much does it matter?  (I went for a general set-up and am starting unemployed, (which I've also never done before...!))

Edited by PhillippaT

3 hours ago, moore_94 said:

Decided to do a save with Charlton Athletic following the new update

Somehow managed to sell Albie Morgan for £500k to FC Nordsjælland, and a couple of others for £100k total

With spread out payments I was able to bring in some good players for this level, installments and bonuses really helped me to make that £600k go far

Got rid of everyone we had on loan as well which freed up a lot of wages

Decent start to the season so far, predicted to be 7th, hoping we can do well enough to get automatics though

image.png.6b927bfd8d9fa7ad75ebf8819cdd1225.png

Have you cashed in on all the transfer clauses they have on Joe Gomez and a few others. Before the update you could rake in like 5 million at the start by doing so 

2 minutes ago, Tommy Fresh said:

Have you cashed in on all the transfer clauses they have on Joe Gomez and a few others. Before the update you could rake in like 5 million at the start by doing so 

Haven't had one pop up for Gomez yet

But did get about £600k from one for some striker they sold to Chelsea

2 minutes ago, moore_94 said:

Haven't had one pop up for Gomez yet

But did get about £600k from one for some striker they sold to Chelsea

Ah that's annoying, before the update you could get around 3-4 million for Gomez and up to about a million for the kid you're on about.

Just now, Tommy Fresh said:

Ah that's annoying, before the update you could get around 3-4 million for Gomez and up to about a million for the kid you're on about.

Probably fine without the Gomez money this season thankfully, hopefully it pops up next summer if we get promoted as that would really help

Okay - so what's the point in starting unemployed if absolutely no-one anywhere wants to hire you, ever? :P 

EDIT: Maybe I didn't cast the starting leagues/vacancies wide enough - DR Congo need an under 20's coach :P 

Edited by PhillippaT
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, moore_94 said:

Probably fine without the Gomez money this season thankfully, hopefully it pops up next summer if we get promoted as that would really help

I only briefly did it, and just had a look to see how many South Americans I could sign at that level.

5 minutes ago, Tommy Fresh said:

I only briefly did it, and just had a look to see how many South Americans I could sign at that level.

Might have to recall this guy in January, smashing it with Leyton Orient in League 2 with 8 goals and 2 assists in 10 league games

Probably shouldn't have even loaned him out haha

image.thumb.png.115e63944044e1338ec475b188593c20.png

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, PhillippaT said:

Okay - so what's the point in starting unemployed if absolutely no-one anywhere wants to hire you, ever? :P 

EDIT: Maybe I didn't cast the starting leagues/vacancies wide enough - DR Congo need an under 20's coach :P 

How good did you make your manager at the end and what sort of clubs are turning you down?

3 minutes ago, Stinky said:

How good did you make your manager at the end and what sort of clubs are turning you down?

I started out with the default setting (+balanced) - but that didn't work.  I tried it again upping my rep one, (I think to regional?) but that hasn't worked either.  I get the feeling I either up it further or add the more 'smaller' nation leagues from Eastern Europe that I haven't made playable, even if performance dives off the cliff :P 

8 minutes ago, moore_94 said:

Might have to recall this guy in January, smashing it with Leyton Orient in League 2 with 8 goals and 2 assists in 10 league games

Probably shouldn't have even loaned him out haha

image.thumb.png.115e63944044e1338ec475b188593c20.png

I remember his dad Carl at Charlton.

6 minutes ago, PhillippaT said:

I started out with the default setting (+balanced) - but that didn't work.  I tried it again upping my rep one, (I think to regional?) but that hasn't worked either.  I get the feeling I either up it further or add the more 'smaller' nation leagues from Eastern Europe that I haven't made playable, even if performance dives off the cliff :P 

Id deffo recommend smaller nations leagues from Eastern Europe (don't laugh Finners). More experienced people here could give better advice though because I usually start at such clubs, I base my managerial level off of that club so I would assume you might just need to up it. Or maybe pick a club at a level you'd like to manage, tick the box which recommends what mangerial level matches that club and then start unemployed at that level and see where you end up

• Haha 1

58 minutes ago, Stinky said:

Id deffo recommend smaller nations leagues from Eastern Europe (don't laugh Finners). More experienced people here could give better advice though because I usually start at such clubs, I base my managerial level off of that club so I would assume you might just need to up it. Or maybe pick a club at a level you'd like to manage, tick the box which recommends what mangerial level matches that club and then start unemployed at that level and see where you end up

Definitely feels like a National-level rep is needed atm...  Had a couple of interviews but unsuccessful at both.  Grrr...

EDIT: As expected, after trying again after doing that, I'm getting a load of offers - but Chania (PGS Kissamikos Chanion) got there first (was hoping for York, again, dammit) so it's off to Greece we go :D 

Edited by PhillippaT
  • Like 1

Won the league again in 2032. We're spending quite a lot of money now and are operating on a level probably a little above anyone else in the league bar Lillestrom and Rosenborg now (and we're probably rich enough now to buy players off either of these).

Europe is where it's interesting though. 2032/33 - we drew Rangers in the Europa League play-off and went out 7-5 on aggregate, absolutely criminal really and largely down to shocking goalkeeping, and supposedly poor officiating. So we fall into the conference league.

We finish 9th on the final day - dropping out of the top 8 courtesy of a 0-2 loss to AZ which we totally dominated. We won 4 of our 6 games, losing to AZ & Lyon, but beating Elfsborg, Lugano, TNS & Kairat Almaty.

In the play-off round we faced Neftci Baku. We lost 2-0 in Azerbaijan, absolutely awful and I was really worried we'd crash out, but I do wonder if the journey etc... is factored in on this because it's not the first time we've looked hopeless in that kind of situation, and they were even worse away here as we beat them 6-0.

We beat Austria Vienna in the last 16. They were horribly negative in both games and we just battered them, 7-1 on aggregate.

We've had a real lucky draw in the quarters - getting CSKA Sofia and we've won the away leg 0-2. Providing we go through (we will), we'll likely face Valencia providing they get past Aris.

Edited by Dan LCFC

My initial thoughts about this version is that it feels a lot more like 'work' than the older versions ;) :P (I deliberately started in May rather than June to give me more time to 'settle in' before the next season - I'm annoyed it's limiting how far into the future I can arrange friendlies atm...)  (I used to need 6 full matches to get the entire squad (two teams+) to full fitness - is it the same in this version?)

Alta are going to Kharkiv!!! We beat Valencia 1-0 and 2-3 to set up a conference league final with Manchester United.

That's likely to be the end of the road but never say never, they're only 10th in the Premier League and we've just beaten Valencia twice.

We weren't even lucky. Valencia did have more of the ball / momentum etc... but we were excellent on the counter. This team can play all ways, front foot or back foot and adapt to the surroundings. Learnt from the error I made by parking the bus at Lyon with a pretty bad goalkeeper (which we lost 5-0).

What a run it's been.

Half way point into the season and looks like it is a 3 way fight with Plymouth and Ipswich for the title

Glad we are so close to January as I think I need to find a striker, or recall our 19 year old striker on loan at Leyton Orient in League 2 who has 13 goals and 2 assists in 17 league games

Top scorer in the league is our left winger with 7, then my striker with 6

image.png.46c8acb96aa0d48bcb854f3eed13b511.png

16 minutes ago, Stinky said:

Croatian, Latvian, Polish and Dutch leagues loaded. Players from Moldova, Lithuania, Estonia and Bosnia included. Starting with 2nd division side Croatia Zmijavci (they play in the Croatia Second Divison you know). This is their badge. LETS GO

NK Croatia Zmijavci - Wikipedia

I always liked the idea of downloading the round the world pack and working my way up through the former Yugoslavian countries, with the goal of eventually ending up at Zagreb, Hadjuk, Rijeka or Red Star and Partizan.

23 minutes ago, Tommy Fresh said:

I always liked the idea of downloading the round the world pack and working my way up through the former Yugoslavian countries, with the goal of eventually ending up at Zagreb, Hadjuk, Rijeka or Red Star and Partizan.

I usually like to do a similar thing managing clubs in countries of close proximity to each other, admittedly what I've done here is a bit of a mixed bag lol

• Haha 1

Rather enjoying my post update save, implementing project full reset with Leicester lol I usually hate being us but see it as a great opportunity post update to actually go in and do what clearly needs doing!

Probably the first time i've gone in and sacked basically every member of staff and started from scratch lol 

On the outgoings front I managed to move on Amartey, Soumare, Ward, Soyuncu, Youri, Jannick (loan) and Mendy for a combined £95m which is outrageous really

I think there's been a fair few panic incomings, where i've taken a punt and drifted from only wanting to sign U23's, but i'll fully implement that next season.

Incomings £60m

- Livakovic

- Ronnie Edwards (back out on loan)

- Ceballos (panic number one but cheap)

- Marmoush (a cheap left wing back up)

- Thomas Lemar (panic number 2 but playing brilliantly on the left)

- Tuta (new CB who has been superb)

- Mauro Arambarri (to replace Mendy as midfield back up)

- Szoboszlai (on loan, feels like cheating lol)

- Thierry Rendall Correia (young RB, looks class)

Main issue so far has been rotating to keep everyone happy, i've overloaded on the left wing with selling Barnes in the summer in mind (he's playing terribly in comparison to Lemar) and also RB and LB is becoming an issue because they've made Luke Thomas class lol. So i've currently got Thomas starting and tearing shit up, with JJ and Kristiansen on the bench. On the other side Castagne is also playing superbly and Correia when he plays is doing well (gets injured a lot though).

Kel is up top and the only one really doing anything of note. Tete started slowly but is now absolutely immense. 

Had a pretty flat start with lots of draws, but kicking on now, defence is rock solid, sitting 6th mid October and a lovely run of games heading into the world cup.

Edited by AjcW
  • Like 1

On 08/03/2023 at 17:44, Dan LCFC said:

Alta are going to Kharkiv!!! We beat Valencia 1-0 and 2-3 to set up a conference league final with Manchester United.

That's likely to be the end of the road but never say never, they're only 10th in the Premier League and we've just beaten Valencia twice.

We weren't even lucky. Valencia did have more of the ball / momentum etc... but we were excellent on the counter. This team can play all ways, front foot or back foot and adapt to the surroundings. Learnt from the error I made by parking the bus at Lyon with a pretty bad goalkeeper (which we lost 5-0).

What a run it's been.

image.thumb.png.bb2314f1f462e464eeeb512b934cf526.png

No shame in it but it's the end of the road. We were always likely to lose this.

In a very weird twist, we've somehow gone into the World Club Championship as champions of the host country.

Well, all I can say is that I'm now seeing the downside of having B-teams in competitive leagues - I'd love to try and get a young/2nd team striker in on loan - but since they're all playing the same league as us, anyway... :P

It's taking me a while just to get through pre-season...  Haven't played a match yet! :P 

I'm sure I had more flexibility over certain things in the older games, though...  (I could have different strategies and training setups for different teams in the main squad (saved as presets before?))  My A-team is set up for 4-3-3, but the B-team only really has the players for 4-4-2.  Yes, I know the game has always wanted you to focus on just an A-team+others, but it never really works for me - I want, no, need 2 teams, dammit :P

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Stinky said:

Croatian, Latvian, Polish and Dutch leagues loaded. Players from Moldova, Lithuania, Estonia and Bosnia included. Starting with 2nd division side Croatia Zmijavci (they play in the Croatia Second Divison you know). This is their badge. LETS GO

NK Croatia Zmijavci - Wikipedia

God this is shit

• Haha 4