Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Filbert Fireworks

Wout Faes

6 minutes ago, shailen said:

Martinez must be due the sack. For that generation not to win anything or get to a final is a crime and to not get out of the group this time round is shocking. 

I guess you missed it...

World Cup 2022: Belgium coach Roberto Martinez leaves role after group stage exit -

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/63827136

• Like 1

On 30/11/2022 at 11:33, Ric Flair said:

Witzel is as much to blame as Tielemans, like we've seen recently at Leicester if you can build a team that doesn't expose Tielemans lack of pace by the entire team having much more movement then he is so much better. In recent weeks at Leicester he seemed to be everywhere from being the defensive outlet to running with the ball up pitch and a lot of it is down to the intensity of the team.

Belgium look absolutely shot to pieces and he's sticking out like a sore thumb because he is not dynamic enough to overcome the deficiencies of the team. No different to the limitations other very good players may suffer, the team needs to be firing.

You're proving my exact point though. KDB and Hazard are both better than Tielemans....You can't carry them and Youri. Youri looks good when the team is built to accommodate him, but when it isn't, he's nowhere near the level our fans believe he is. Just look at his performances for Belgium, or us in Europe. He's values by fans here because of his Worldies....He's not a consistent top class midfielder. He proved that for us in Europe, where he didn't control any games whatsoever. 

If he's such a top player why has there been no interest when he has been available for a knockdown price for a couple of windows now? His agent has even been forced to leak false rumours, like the Liverpool ones every summer.

On 01/12/2022 at 22:46, shailen said:

Martinez must be due the sack. For that generation not to win anything or get to a final is a crime and to not get out of the group this time round is shocking. 

Always found this language around Belgium really bizarre. I'm not disputing they've had a good squad but... so have other sides? Belgium's "Golden Generation" was the best they'd had for many years but it doesn't make it better than their opponents. Beaten by the eventual winners at the past two tournaments.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Miquel The Work Geordie said:

Always found this language around Belgium really bizarre. I'm not disputing they've had a good squad but... so have other sides? Belgium's "Golden Generation" was the best they'd had for many years but it doesn't make it better than their opponents. Beaten by the eventual winners at the past two tournaments.

Do agree with this. Been obvious that Martinez time was up but they've not been as disastrous as made out. Underwhelming absolutely but were probably the 2nd best side in Russia and simply edged out by a better team.

Abject toss this time though and an absolute joke that Faes didn't get a minute.

On 05/12/2022 at 23:18, Miquel The Work Geordie said:

No I do agree, but their squad was exceptionally talented and they all came through together so you'd think they'd have done better than they did.

Hazard, Lukaku, Carrasco, Mertens, De Bruyne, Vertoghen, Alderwierald, Kompany, Witsel, Courtouis. All in their prime at the same time!! 

Obviously France are equally talented but I do feel they should have got to a final over the last few tournaments at least. 

14 minutes ago, shailen said:

No I do agree, but their squad was exceptionally talented and they all came through together so you'd think they'd have done better than they did.

Hazard, Lukaku, Carrasco, Mertens, De Bruyne, Vertoghen, Alderwierald, Kompany, Witsel, Courtouis. All in their prime at the same time!! 

Obviously France are equally talented but I do feel they should have got to a final over the last few tournaments at least. 

Tbf Martinez only managed them at World Cup 2018 and 2022. Last World Cup they finished 3rd because they lost to France. Again, a France team that is better than the Belgium team was.

Their first team is decent but no better than other teams. Similar to when people always bang on about our "golden generation" not winning anything, at that time we were competing against stronger sides (France and Brazil especially, then Spain later).

In 2002 when we were beaten by Brazil, although you obviously can’t prove anything as such, the winner of that match was much expected to go on and win the tournament. Brazil did that.

Belgium did no worse than that in 18.

Off the top of my head, around our decent 96 effort, unlucky 98 effort and good shot in 02, we had shockers at Euro 2000, 04 not much better and was it 06 or 08 that we didn’t even qualify for. It’s just cycles of talent. And the one where it arguably should have come together they were a game short.

To be honest, I wish the Prem was more like that!

Still gotta say though. Faes should have played! Even Shearer was baffled at his exclusion!

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Criggers said:

In 2002 when we were beaten by Brazil, although you obviously can’t prove anything as such, the winner of that match was much expected to go on and win the tournament. Brazil did that.

Belgium did no worse than that in 18.

Off the top of my head, around our decent 96 effort, unlucky 98 effort and good shot in 02, we had shockers at Euro 2000, 04 not much better and was it 06 or 08 that we didn’t even qualify for. It’s just cycles of talent. And the one where it arguably should have come together they were a game short.

To be honest, I wish the Prem was more like that!

Still gotta say though. Faes should have played! Even Shearer was baffled at his exclusion!

How was 04 not much better than 00? We smashed the group stage with Rooney on fire and then he got injured and we lost on penalties after being really unlucky in extra time. 00 we went out in the group by losing to Romania. Very different. 

• 3 weeks later...