Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Filbert Fireworks

Wout Faes

Some on here will not tolerate any defeat even though we will inevitably be beaten by better teams on the day. Scapegoating will not change that . It was Soumaré against Newcastle and Faes last night. Players at our level, which is one the highest in world football , know when they have had a bad game and personal pride will drive them to try to avoid repeating it.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, An Sionnach said:

Some on here will not tolerate any defeat even though we will inevitably be beaten by better teams on the day. Scapegoating will not change that . It was Soumaré against Newcastle and Faes last night. Players at our level, which is one the highest in world football , know when they have had a bad game and personal pride will drive them to try to avoid repeating it.

Scapegoating? The guy scored 2 comedy own goals, of course he is largely to blame for our defeat last night. That’s not saying he’s an awful player, but come on? How is it scapegoating to blame him for defeat last night.

Honestly, some people on here would defend anyone if they wore a Leicester shirt

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Sampson said:

Scapegoating? The guy scored 2 comedy own goals, of course he is largely to blame for our defeat last night. That’s not saying he’s an awful player, but come on? How is it scapegoating to blame him for defeat last night.

Honestly, some people on here would defend anyone if they wore a Leicester shirt

Well I don't think we employ bad players , if you are truly shit you don't play in the PL. On the other hand all players cock up under the pressure of the moment and as far as I know Wout Faes does that rarely. 

Be fair, with the 1st one the ball could have gone anywhere. Call or no, whether he heard it or no, he did what a defender should do and try to cut out the cross... which he did... sadly, it just, um, kinda didn't go where it usually goes and out for a corner! 2nd one, he really had no time to react; the ball comes back off the post, sod all he could have done. Just bad luck, on 2 counts, rub of the green etc. He probably feels bloody awful about it (considering the result) but no way do I hold him responsible. 

Edited by taupe
spelling

Guest Col city fan
4 minutes ago, Nicolo Barella said:

Right he had a terrible game. Doesn't make any of the other games he played so far any less good. Hope he puts it behind him and gets back to the great form he was showing previously.

Jury’s out for me.

He’s had some absolute stinkers too. Remember Bournemouth?

He looks like that type of player.. either he’s really on it, or he’s pretty awful

We’ll see 

Just now, Sampson said:

It isn't used that way though is it? Scapegoating suggests it's being done in an unfair way and it's clearly not unfair to blame Faes for our defeat last night

Unless you have your own vocabulary (and we all do to an extent) then, yes, it IS used that way. It's not about fair or unfair, it's about "blame" - and you used that very word twice now. You've 'blamed' Faes for the defeat, ergo you've scapegoated him. Perhaps you mean another word? 

19 minutes ago, An Sionnach said:

Well I don't think we employ bad players , if you are truly shit you don't play in the PL. On the other hand all players cock up under the pressure of the moment and as far as I know Wout Faes does that rarely. 

Not true though really is it. There's been plenty of very bad players who have played in the PL.

Look at the player ratings thread.

Of all defenders we have.

Soyuncu - 6.7

Faes - 6.5

Castagne - 5.9

Justin - 5.5

Thomas - 5.5

Vestergaard - 5.6

Fofana - 5.4

Evans - 5.3

Amartey - 5.3

Faes has had more good games, than he has been horsepoop. 

18 minutes ago, taupe said:

Unless you have your own vocabulary (and we all do to an extent) then, yes, it IS used that way. It's not about fair or unfair, it's about "blame" - and you used that very word twice now. You've 'blamed' Faes for the defeat, ergo you've scapegoated him. Perhaps you mean another word? 

I don’t have my own vocabulary, that’s how it’s universally used and almost every dictionary including the one you posted defines it that way. “Blamed for something someone else has done” and read the example on the link you posted, it’s pretty clear it refers to someone being unfairly blamed.

And I think you very much know that and are being deliberately obstinate.

Scapegoating suggests someone being blamed undeservedly or for something someone else has done 

To suggest people are scapegoating Faes for last  night is absurd because we patently lost solely due to 2 of his errors.

That doesn’t mean he’s a shit player or will be crap in general, but people genuinely trying to defend his performance last night because “he was good apart from the 2 own goals and the dodgy back pass” or accusing others of scapegoating him for last night are living in cloud cuckoo land.

Of course his performance last night cost us 3 points and of course he should take the blame for it. Anyone saying anything else is defending a player for the sake of it.

Edited by Sampson
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, MS0204 said:

People may think I’m mad but I’d rather have big wout than Wes fofana any day.. the World Cup came at the wrong time fact. The first own goal was misfortunate, second was a tangled flap and damn right bloody mess.

If the second own goal was the only goal in the game it wouldn’t seem half as bad. Wout got chucked in at the deep end against a strong spurs side, however even from that game he showed glimpses of something different and he sure did up to the World Cup break. He has my backing 100% as one average game against Newcastle and a poorer one last night ain’t going to do anything but hopefully change and make him stronger. 2 games doesn’t deserve a drop, end of the season then we should discuss.. 

Drop him, we don't have anyone to replace him with, which is the problem, an makes it hard for any player to keep standards high for any length of time, same with Barnes, Ndidi, KDH and Tielemans.

28 minutes ago, Sampson said:

To suggest people are scapegoating Faes for last  night is absurd because we patently lost solely due to 2 of his errors.

We patently and solely didn't. Or did we equally lose because (pick a player) didn't score an equaliser?

Faes put the ball into his own net twice, yes. You can justifiably say that. You can't extend that to say that we lost the game solery because of that. Not solely. Other players were involved and other stuff did (or didn't) happen. 

• Haha 1

He genuinely will be a cult hero at Anfield for the rest of his career.

He’ll hear “shoot” every time he touches the ball there.

Obviously he needs to put this behind him, and I think he will.  But the Scousers will not let him forget.

1 hour ago, taupe said:

We patently and solely didn't. Or did we equally lose because (pick a player) didn't score an equaliser?

Faes put the ball into his own net twice, yes. You can justifiably say that. You can't extend that to say that we lost the game solery because of that. Not solely. Other players were involved and other stuff did (or didn't) happen. 

You’re right, it’s not Faes’ fault! we should have to rely on scoring 3 goals against one of the best defences in the world! It’s not Faes’ fault we weren’t able to score 3 against Liverpool. Either that or you’re being ludicrously pedantic on semantics to the point of absurdity and trying to argue against semantics when it’s obvious to everyone what I meant to try and bizarrely defend Faes performance by deflection.

It's possible to be both happy with Faes's affect on the team since joining and disappointed with what happened last night. He's largely been a positive since joining, but there is no doubt he cost us last night. Liverpool didn't score, and people can speculate about missed chances etc, but they didn't, and we did, so his rash decisions and poor composure cost us 3 points. People can also speculate on the trust in Ward, but that wasn't an issue when we kept 5 or 6 clean sheets in 7 games. So yes, he been excellent for us since joining, but last night he cost us 3 points.

Re the scapegoating chat. Well isn't scapegoating when you blame one person for the failings of a whole group, like happens with Amartey (who never scored 2 OGs in a game btw, not sure he's even scored 1) or Thomas, or Ward? Last night was solely on him, so it isn't scapegoating its just true. I thought as a group we played OK, a lot better than Monday for sure, we worried Liverpool, and despite them getting in good areas limited them to few real clear cut chances. Salah missed a good chance, but so did KDH. So I can't blame the whole team for that loss, as they did enough to prevent it.