Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Filbert Fireworks

Wout Faes

24 minutes ago, Miquel The Work Geordie said:

As has been touched on he's playing in a patchwork backline alongside what should be our fourth choice centre back, a sandbag of a goalkeeper and a left back who many have acknowledged probably needs some time away on loan at this stage. 

Very difficult to make anything approaching a definitive opinion on him; but he unquestionably improved us before the World Cup. I think he's the least of our worries personally. Ricardo's return can't come soon enough.

Was going to reply to @Col city fan but you’ve summed it up perfectly. Col, this is what I wanted to reply with mate lol

• Like 1

Guest Col city fan
5 minutes ago, TJB-fox said:

Was going to reply to @Col city fan but you’ve summed it up perfectly. Col, this is what I wanted to reply with mate lol

I can’t argue with any of that mate, BUT I think a really good, confident player will compensate for the shortcomings of those playing around him.

What I mean by this is that he’ll bring them up. They’ll bring their game up because they’ll feel reassured by him.

And I think this WAS happening. We didn’t concede for what? 5 games?

The worry is that Faes himself seems to have lost his confidence. We know that Amartey is crap, that Thomas isn’t really ready and that Ward isn’t really a Prem keeper. But now Faes himself is looking as nervy as the others.

Worrying.

Guest Col city fan
41 minutes ago, Miquel The Work Geordie said:

As has been touched on he's playing in a patchwork backline alongside what should be our fourth choice centre back, a sandbag of a goalkeeper and a left back who many have acknowledged probably needs some time away on loan at this stage. 

Very difficult to make anything approaching a definitive opinion on him; but he unquestionably improved us before the World Cup. I think he's the least of our worries personally. Ricardo's return can't come soon enough.

Ricardo is made of scrambled eggs. 
He’ll come into the side, we’ll improve, he’ll then pull a muscle and be out for 6 months.

This team can’t rely on Ricardo.

Shame, he’s a cut above any defender we have 

5 minutes ago, Col city fan said:

Ricardo is made of scrambled eggs. 
He’ll come into the side, we’ll improve, he’ll then pull a muscle and be out for 6 months.

This team can’t rely on Ricardo.

Shame, he’s a cut above any defender we have 

I don't disagree, but he looks like the only injured full-back that's anywhere near a come back at the moment – which is why I mentioned him. A backline with him and Castagne as full backs feels infinitely stronger than the ones we've been putting out recently.

Guest Col city fan
46 minutes ago, Miquel The Work Geordie said:

I don't disagree, but he looks like the only injured full-back that's anywhere near a come back at the moment – which is why I mentioned him. A backline with him and Castagne as full backs feels infinitely stronger than the ones we've been putting out recently.

There’s no doubt the club has been really unlucky with long term injuries to the full backs. When fit, I’d pick Justin left and Ricardo right.

Missing them is and has been a huge blow to this team 

This guy is a real turnip, I've been rewatching our games since the wc, and unfortunately I don't even think it's a form issue, he's just really poor. His positioning is awful often finding himself in no-man's-land and panicking last minute dot com, running back like a headless chicken. I lost track of the amount of times he attempted to cut out a pass and fail causing the opponent to have a free run on the ball. Absolutely awful player 

• Like 1

I would love to see him in a back four with Kristiansen, Souttar  and Castagne or Ricardo - I think we’d see a different player when he has quality players around him. 
Fingers crossed we can get Souttar over the line this week and we straight away look a better side at the back.

5 hours ago, somebum said:

This guy is a real turnip, I've been rewatching our games since the wc, and unfortunately I don't even think it's a form issue, he's just really poor. His positioning is awful often finding himself in no-man's-land and panicking last minute dot com, running back like a headless chicken. I lost track of the amount of times he attempted to cut out a pass and fail causing the opponent to have a free run on the ball. Absolutely awful player 

He was quality pre world cup and looked like a good organiser of the back 4 so wouldnt say that. Get him playing with a proper CB and not that bum Amartey then we will see

• Like 2

1 hour ago, South Shire Fox said:

He was quality pre world cup and looked like a good organiser of the back 4 so wouldnt say that. Get him playing with a proper CB and not that bum Amartey then we will see

If he had a midfield shielding the defence at all and any one showing for the ball when we need to play out as well he'd look a damn sight better.  It's nigh on impossible for any player to look good in this team at the moment.

• Like 1

I have said this before but I think we all hyped Faes up a bit too much pre-WC. 

However, there is clearly a talented player in Faes but someone really needs to get him to cut out some continuous errors in his game, his rashness is being very heavily exposed and lack of pace when/if he gets this wrong.

What training do the players genuinely do in the week? As there seems to be so many simple errors (individual and collective) right now.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, South Shire Fox said:

He was fine pre WC playing with Amartey. The only thing that's changed since then is Thomas playing at LB. I dont know whether that has impacted his performances as a LCB, but to criticize Dan because Faes's form has plummeted, is wrong.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, alanf0x said:

I think a prime Terry or Ferdinand would look poor pared with Amartey. Faes doing 2 people’s jobs rather than concentrating on his own! 

Amartey has been dog shit but it is not his fault that Faes had a massive brain fart against Liverpool and has not recovered since.  He is far too slow and does not have the reading of the game to make up for it.  I am sure he would look considerably better with another CB that is not Amartey, but I think Amartey would probably look better with another CB that is not Faes too. Neither are good enough for Prem football imo.

He is very limited and teams have already found his weaknesses and are exploiting it.  Not his fault that he is not up to standard, it is ours for spunking £15m on him in the first place.

8 hours ago, South Shire Fox said:

....he cannot just drop off and become so poor in what he does after what we have seen previously!!!

He has handed the running of the backline to Amartey, he has become pretty much hands off, hard to have seen this coming.

• 2 weeks later...
11 hours ago, Tanya said:

Thought he was fantastic today after a few dodgy performances. We need him to be our general in the second half of the season

I think with everyone having tete fever then wout might have slipped under the radar a bit, but totally agree, he had a superb match today and solid. I think the presence of victor and Harry made it more of a partnership. I think I counted possibly twice where his slides were off or he missed the ball, however he is crucial for the upcoming seasons.. 

• Like 2

Guest Col city fan

Much much better today. Hopefully he can build up a strong partnership with Soutter and finally sort out our defensive frailty.

I hope they both stay fit.

Edited by Col city fan