Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Filbert Fireworks

Wout Faes

4 minutes ago, SafewayFox said:

But Faes has also never got close to reaching those high levels for a sustained period of matches.

One very good game this side of the WC against Spurs doesn’t change that.

I’m not saying to sell/get rid but definitely can improve our CB options in the summer with him being the first CB to get dropped IMO.

I think it would be a bit ridiculous from anyone to expect that "Prime Soyuncu" level of performances consistantly from Faes or most other centre backs at the club or even in the league to be honest.

There was a reason he was in TOTY and being talked about moves to Barcelona, Chelsea etc. because he was just on another level.

If you are putting that level of expectation on any centre back then they have already lost.

People coming out and saying that he won't get to that level is just lazy because most centre backs in their whole career wont play to that level.

Edited by moore_94
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, moore_94 said:

I think it would be a bit ridiculous from anyone to expect that "Prime Soyuncu" level of performances consistantly from Faes or most other centre backs at the club or even in the league to be honest.

There was a reason he was in TOTY and being talked about moves to Barcelona, Chelsea etc. because he was just on another level.

If you are putting that level of expectation on any centre back then they have already lost.

People coming out and saying that he won't get to that level is just lazy because most centre backs in their whole career wont play to that level.

Agree with this but many were saying that Faes was better than Fofana when he first signed and Fofana is streets ahead of Soyuncu. 

I think Faes has found his level for us, he’ll have some good games and he’ll have some bad games but he’s got too many mistake in him to be anything more than an average Premier League CB. I’d argue that he’s the current weak link in the defence at the moment too.

Guest Col city fan
1 minute ago, Dames said:

Agree with this but many were saying that Faes was better than Fofana when he first signed and Fofana is streets ahead of Soyuncu. 

I think Faes has found his level for us, he’ll have some good games and he’ll have some bad games but he’s got too many mistake in him to be anything more than an average Premier League CB. I’d argue that he’s the current weak link in the defence at the moment too.

The comments about Faes being better than Fofana are prime FT. Absolute, fookin, nonsense.

Faes is exactly what you know you’ll get. All action, pashun, challenging for everything but brain of a blacmange

3 minutes ago, Dames said:

He's decent but if we aspire to be a top 10 team again, he'd need to be 3rd choice, lacks composure.

Edited by Beachyboy
  • Like 4

1 minute ago, egg_fried_rice said:

I’ve not said anything about him this week.

He had a very poor game today but we’re still a much better team with him than without him.

I highlighted the posts to show the stark contrast on what was being said a week later.

That “he is shit” “and a championship player” and “crap since the World Cup etc”. 

I’d prefer him in the team than Soyuncu that has been frozen out, on his way out the club and doesn’t give two shits 

13 minutes ago, SouthStandUpperTier said:

He's either rushing out and leaving huge space in behind, or too deep and playing the opposition onside. Makes some good last-ditch tackles and blocks but that's because he's never where he should be.

Were you criticising his rushing out for the tackle on Kane last week? 

11 minutes ago, SouthStandUpperTier said:

He's either rushing out and leaving huge space in behind, or too deep and playing the opposition onside. Makes some good last-ditch tackles and blocks but that's because he's never where he should be.

This 100%

Antony was called a YouTube player on TalkSport and because of those last ditch tackles and passion, you could argue that Faes is too.

If Big Dan was as careless with the ball for their first goal, he’d get so much abuse on here 🤷🏻‍♂️

1 minute ago, Tommy Fresh said:

Were you criticising his rushing out for the tackle on Kane last week? 

As I have said earlier on this, obviously when it comes off it’s great.

But for every one that goes well, he does two things more damning as a CB.

When you’re a CB, it’s important to get one of those early tackles in to make the striker know they’re “in a game” so to speak but communication particularly with his back line, and not giving the ball away are fundamentals that Faes in numerous moments since signing lacks.

I’ve previously praised his leadership skills but when it all goes wrong, he’s one of the first in our back line to make continued unforced errors.

4 minutes ago, SafewayFox said:

As I have said earlier on this, obviously when it comes off it’s great.

But for every one that goes well, he does two things more damning as a CB.

When you’re a CB, it’s important to get one of those early tackles in to make the striker know they’re “in a game” so to speak but communication particularly with his back line, and not giving the ball away are fundamentals that Faes in numerous moments since signing lacks.

I’ve previously praised his leadership skills but when it all goes wrong, he’s one of the first in our back line to make continued unforced errors.

I'm particularly refering to the rushing in to tackles, you've just got to accept with an aggressive defender like that he's also going to cock up. If people have an issue with him doing it (not you btw) then I'd be more inclined to listen if they were on here last week going "good tackle, rushed in a bit though and could have cost us"

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Tommy Fresh said:

I'm particularly refering to the rushing in to tackles, you've just got to accept with an aggressive defender like that he's also going to cock up. If people have an issue with him doing it (not you btw) then I'd be more inclined to listen if they were on here last week going "good tackle, rushed in a bit though and could have cost us"

Ohhh, my bad.

I probably should do a self imposed ban on here as I want to not be reactionary about Faes but the flaws in his game infuriate me more than his strengths.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, SecretPro said:

I've not said anything contrary to what you've posted above. He had a mare today, but who doesn't. Whole defence went to shit in the second 45. 

I pointed out for those saying he has been shit since the World Cup, etc.

it was only a week ago. A little perspective is needed. 
You can have a bad game and not be written off. 

3 hours ago, Dames said:

Fofana is worldclass. Soyuncu, if we get the real him back, can be one of the best in the PL. Faes may get to top Soyuncu level but he seems too inexperienced at the minute. Evans should still be ahead of him when Evans is back.

'kin hell people. He's new to the country and the league, he's partnered up with someone new to the club and the division, and to his left there's another player who's new to the country and the league. He's had a bit longer to bed in than Sout and Kris but bloody hell, there's going to be teething issues. They're not going to be a brick wall from the off. They've got until the Summer to show if they're both good enough to be first choice or if we'll have to dip into the market to sit them on the bench. But it's early days. He's got good and bad attributes, hopefully we can quell the bad and emphasize the good. Time will tell.