Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Filbert Fireworks

Wout Faes

14 hours ago, Mickyblueeyes said:

The thing about Faes is he is an ok player. Would be a superstar in the championship but perfectly capable in the lower end of the PL. I mean, take Tyrone Mings, he’s had a PL career - I wouldn’t want him anywhere near our club. But he is a PL defender. Jamal Lascelles, similar. Faes is of that breed. The problem we have is in defence we’ve been blessed with some real quality since we came up. Morgan & Huth, Maguire & Evans, Fofana, pre- collapse Cags. We forgot what a decent enough defender looks like. He isn’t a bad signing and pretty much on point with the type of player a side in our position would attract. However, he’s not going to fetch 70/80m or lead us to league or a cup win. I think he’ll have a decent career here But at times he will annoy us.

The bigger problem for me is his flaws make it very difficult to justify playing only two Cbs. Perhaps a third in there could compensate for his erratic nature.

Again too early..His first half season in PL, for CB still young, and from BLine3/4

new teammates..

Typical FT..Ricardo,Soyu,Maddison,Kante, & Vardy,etc, all first were showered from

FT negative punters & their negative Vibrs…

That tells me ,we are crap at picking a player & accepting a player more often than not, I feel like  being at school and having to listen to 3rd & 4th class,pupils and

their whining, sometimes pulling out the big bully routines..

Like then, I can only laugh…

Edited by fuchsntf
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, fuchsntf said:

Again too early..His first half season in PL, for CB still young, and from BLine3/4

new teammates..

Typical FT..Ricardo,Soyu,Maddison,Kante, & Vardy,etc, all first were showered from

FT negative punters & their negative Vibrs…

That tells me ,we are crap at picking a player & accepting a player more often than not, I feel like Eingeben at school and having to listen to 3rd & 4th class,pupils and

their whining, sometimes pulling out the big bully routines..

Like then, I can only laugh…

I think I know what this says but then I've said I think he is a decent player and that he should have a good career with us - gets me questioning why you're acting like this and written like a 5 year old at the same time. 

This is getting boring... any bit of criticism and you get toys out the pram. Trust me, the way Faes played yesterday fans of other clubs would've had him booed off the pitch. 

I mean you're going to get negative reviews on a football forum - it happens every day. All fans of all clubs either big a player up (which no other club can understand) or completely give up on one. Sometimes they can do it within a short 90 minute period. I am shocked that where a player is referred to as decent you've had such a tantrum. 

12 minutes ago, SafewayFox said:

WTF.

Why has your comment gone personal?

I normally find your comments quite amusing but back off with the personal comments.

Faes is an international footballer who would accept someone questioning some of his on field decisions, so please don’t come at me again with that type of message.

Monday morning,brushing out the cobwebs, your on a Football forum,open the gates, tramps Gypsies & thiefs all types will come darting through, don’t take anything personal…like mates corner pub table sarcasm,or front end pub customers, it’s UK we are with our charm, collapsing wit, sarcasm,double genre

full of cheap shots..

Doors opened to wildly shoot & lash out,the critic festival is wide open,but expect people to shoot back..when it’s always the same routine.

First encourage,patience, time, before chasing mistakes…

I make them every day, but can also save the day..-grandads do that,individuals do that.

How many times has Faes put in high class saves, been in the right place,

counter that with the mishaps…

like I said far too early,to even hint,that it’s way too much error count..

25 minutes ago, Mickyblueeyes said:

I think I know what this says but then I've said I think he is a decent player and that he should have a good career with us - gets me questioning why you're acting like this and written like a 5 year old at the same time. 

This is getting boring... any bit of criticism and you get toys out the pram. Trust me, the way Faes played yesterday fans of other clubs would've had him booed off the pitch. 

I mean you're going to get negative reviews on a football forum - it happens every day. All fans of all clubs either big a player up (which no other club can understand) or completely give up on one. Sometimes they can do it within a short 90 minute period. I am shocked that where a player is referred to as decent you've had such a tantrum. 

No more a consistent tantrum,than the ones who shower the forum by first digging out the negatives, again one opens the door and chucks out posts ( I do the same)

then expect others to counter…

And I am a grandad,and allowed being closer to a 5 yr old, prefer their logic.

Believe me waddling,waffling,twaddling through FT, Whatever is said on FT,the kindergarten,nursery is growing rapidly…Though blueeyes,you don’t tend to grind a consistent bone has some..:bounce:

Edited by fuchsntf

9 minutes ago, fuchsntf said:

No more a consistent tantrum,than the ones who shower the forum by first digging out the negatives, again one opens the door and chucks out posts ( I do the same)

then expect others to counter…

And I am a grandad,and allowed being closer to a 5 yr old, prefer their logic.

Believe me waddling,waffling,twaddling through FT, Whatever is said on FT,the kindergarten,nursery is growing rapidly…Though blueeyes,you don’t tend to grind a consistent bone has some..:bounce:

lol 

I dont know what this means but never let anyone change you. 

Faes is a decent player but I was paying respect to some of the talent/legend we have had in recent years playing in his position. I didnt expect this to lead to a Monday morning poetry lesson. 

Don't think you can hide from the fact he was poor yesterday, the first goal is a calamitous 10 seconds, sloppily giving the ball away and then charging into no mans land leaving Souttar totally exposed and Rashford in acres of space.

The booking for the tackle on Fernandes is also horrific play, good tackle initially but the second is in a dangerous area with absolutely no chance of winning the ball, also totally unnecessary as Kristiansen has got back and into a good position.

Off the top of my head, the goals his fairly basic mistakes have cost us so far this season have probably led to 5 maybe 6 dropped points, if you added them to what we have it would put us around Chelsea and in a fairly comfortable spot.

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, SouthStandUpperTier said:

He's a David Luiz tribute act, right down to the hairstyle. One week you'll get a 9/10 performance. Next week you'll get 3/10. What we really need is a couple of CBs that will consistently give you 7/10:performances. Until then we'll carry on conceding at a rate of 2 per game.

Part of that is the way he's been instructed to play. He's the one that is told to actively hunt down and engage in the tackle. This leads to moments like the Maddison goal last week where he stepped in on Kane and played to Iheanacho. When it works, we dominate games, agains Man United there was a spell where every time we lost the ball, we won it back in 5 seconds and we were winning the individual duels across the pitch. Playing that way by its nature is a risk / reward situation.

What he definitely needs to work on is his positional side though. Stepped up too early for the first goal, and didn't step up enough for the second. Plus his poor pass led to the first Rashford goal in the first place. Let's see what he's like after a preseason with us, as that can all be worked on. I hope it can!

Souttar by contrast was way more solid, and had a very good game. But he's the one of the two that is asked to sit a bit more. So he will be the solid one, but won't be the one that can make an incredible tackle that turns defence into attack as often.

There are some similar CBs in the division, Romero of Spurs comes to mind. When they win, he usually plays and is the one stepping in and aggressively winning the ball back. 

But make no bones about it, he cost us the game yesterday. Ward was also poor, but the initial mistakes were all on Wout. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, StriderHiryu said:

Part of that is the way he's been instructed to play. He's the one that is told to actively hunt down and engage in the tackle. This leads to moments like the Maddison goal last week where he stepped in on Kane and played to Iheanacho. When it works, we dominate games, agains Man United there was a spell where every time we lost the ball, we won it back in 5 seconds and we were winning the individual duels across the pitch. Playing that way by its nature is a risk / reward situation.

What he definitely needs to work on is his positional side though. Stepped up too early for the first goal, and didn't step up enough for the second. Plus his poor pass led to the first Rashford goal in the first place. Let's see what he's like after a preseason with us, as that can all be worked on. I hope it can!

Souttar by contrast was way more solid, and had a very good game. But he's the one of the two that is asked to sit a bit more. So he will be the solid one, but won't be the one that can make an incredible tackle that turns defence into attack as often.

There are some similar CBs in the division, Romero of Spurs comes to mind. When they win, he usually plays and is the one stepping in and aggressively winning the ball back. 

But make no bones about it, he cost us the game yesterday. Ward was also poor, but the initial mistakes were all on Wout. 

With all due respect (as you are a poster who's opinion I do respect) we don't really know how he's been instructed to play. I just think being cavalier and a risk taker is his natural game. If nothing else, it will lead to some high-scoring entertaining games.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, SouthStandUpperTier said:

He's a David Luiz tribute act, right down to the hairstyle. One week you'll get a 9/10 performance. Next week you'll get 3/10. What we really need is a couple of CBs that will consistently give you 7/10:performances. Until then we'll carry on conceding at a rate of 2 per game.

Exactly this. David Luiz has had a great career, playing for top teams and winning lots of trophies, but you can't predict what he's going to do game from game. Faes is the same, all be it at a lesser quality.

Faes is new to the PL. He will make mistakes. I think there's a decent player there. Maybe he is trying too hard. It's that balance between a cool head and fighting for every ball. Not easy.  Hopefully the penny will drop. Experience is vital for CBs. Huth and Morgan knew the game and opposition inside out but it took time. Same with Evans. Let's back all of the lads and get to safety asap.

• Like 1

Let's look at Man U's first goal yesterday. He's misplaced a pass into midfield. He's annoyed. Frustrated. Pissed-off at himself. He wants so desperately to atone. So he rushes out like his hair is on fire in a futile attempt to win the ball back. Rashford now has the freedom of Old Trafford to run into and Fernandez has a relatively simple pass to put him through on goal. Faes just needs to forget about the bad pass, drop back in line and keep Rashford in view. It's an easily rectifiable mistake so I still have hope he can adapt.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Mickyblueeyes said:

lol 

I dont know what this means but never let anyone change you. 

Faes is a decent player but I was paying respect to some of the talent/legend we have had in recent years playing in his position. I didnt expect this to lead to a Monday morning poetry lesson. 

If I must…here you go..

Good monday to you this day
A grand Monday I must say.
May this Monday bring to you
Happiness in all you do
Achieve a lot, don't be undersold
Believe in Faes as you would

glad tidings & greet Monday

as a pot of gold.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, SouthStandUpperTier said:

With all due respect (as you are a poster who's opinion I do respect) we don't really know how he's been instructed to play. I just think being cavalier and a risk taker is his natural game. If nothing else, it will lead to some high-scoring entertaining games.

You could well be right! The reason I say this, is Soyuncu played the same way, Fofana to some degree too. Fofana was the best at it though, he rarely made mistakes compared to the other two. Evans has always been the "steady-eddie" type in the back line. Amartey was also more cautious compared to Faes when those two lined up together. 

Reims fans said something similar though, his first season with them he was a bit of a liability, but he was one of their best players in the second season. Let's see what happens. Personally even though we lost 3-0 yesterday, I was not that upset with the game. We had a real go and on another day could have got the shock result. Much better than sideways passing for 90 minutes, that's for sure. 

• Like 3

I'm a big fan of Faes, love front foot defenders though. The way he plays will result in errors, but it also resulted in us scoring v Spurs. So you take the rough with the smooth. He looked absolutely fine to me.

I did predict this would happen when people were bigging him up, classic black and white thinking from the majority of fans. Mistake == bomb scare. Ignoring the other risky situations that were dealt with well.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, filbertway said:

I'm a big fan of Faes, love front foot defenders though. The way he plays will result in errors, but it also resulted in us scoring v Spurs. So you take the rough with the smooth. He looked absolutely fine to me.

I did predict this would happen when people were bigging him up, classic black and white thinking from the majority of fans. Mistake == bomb scare. Ignoring the other risky situations that were dealt with well.

On the whole I'd agree. However, there are parts I find very annoying. That tackle he did just before half time was brainless, dirty and irresponsible. 

2 hours ago, fuchsntf said:

Monday morning,brushing out the cobwebs, your on a Football forum,open the gates, tramps Gypsies & thiefs all types will come darting through, don’t take anything personal…like mates corner pub table sarcasm,or front end pub customers, it’s UK we are with our charm, collapsing wit, sarcasm,double genre

full of cheap shots..

Doors opened to wildly shoot & lash out,the critic festival is wide open,but expect people to shoot back..when it’s always the same routine.

First encourage,patience, time, before chasing mistakes…

I make them every day, but can also save the day..-grandads do that,individuals do that.

How many times has Faes put in high class saves, been in the right place,

counter that with the mishaps…

like I said far too early,to even hint,that it’s way too much error count..

Exactly, I’m on a football forum but you mention love making with my wife - trust me banter is cool but your comment was just personal and random as f**k.

Most importantly, as I’ve moved on but had to call out your BS above, as you say this is a football forum so why discard someone’s opinions that don’t mirror yours?

Faes in the game alone yesterday made TWO mistakes in the build up to the first goal - which changed the whole atmosphere on and off the pitch.

Then in the dying moments of the first half, made that pointless and rash challenge on Rashford to give away a dangerous free kick.

I could go through those moments in most of his games with us and state that these are regular and out weigh his YouTube highlight reel of crunching tackles - which he typically wouldn’t have to make in the first place.

On a sensible note, Faes is clearly a decent CB but stick with the opinion that we should look to upgrade in the summer if want to improve on this seasons below par results/performances.

He is however, NOT an issue like Soumare etc who SHOULD be bombed out of the squad for his sheer lack of improvement/laziness.

17 hours ago, Mickyblueeyes said:

The bigger problem for me is his flaws make it very difficult to justify playing only two Cbs. Perhaps a third in there could compensate for his erratic nature.

...or better coaching to negate what we are seeing!!!

I was very shocked to see how much he has changed in his demeanour and whilst with Amartey, he had effectively handed over the leadership to Amartey in the backline, he is a changed player since he came, not sure why, but not the same ebullient player that turned up here.

13 minutes ago, sacreblueits442 said:

...or better coaching to negate what we are seeing!!!

I was very shocked to see how much he has changed in his demeanour and whilst with Amartey, he had effectively handed over the leadership to Amartey in the backline, he is a changed player since he came, not sure why, but not the same ebullient player that turned up here.

No, I don’t think that’s fair. Look, im all for criticising Rodgers and his coaches - there’s plenty in terms of style that I don’t agree with but it all can’t be his fault. 

Faes is 24 years old. International footballer.

How can  coaching lead to him smashing the ball into the middle of the park which gives it away AND then him choosing to rush out (to no one by the way) and leaving us exposed. He is an erratic player - he makes a mistake and immediately wants to make amends - which is not always a good thing as we saw yesterday. Faes has a lot of qualities but his flaws can lead to clangers. 

It be great if we can coach it out of him but you can’t point fingers at Rodgers and his coaches here. 

1 hour ago, CosbehFox said:

On the whole I'd agree. However, there are parts I find very annoying. That tackle he did just before half time was brainless, dirty and irresponsible. 

I may have missed that one to be fair :D

Stuff like that I just expect as part of the package. He's not going to be the full package and great in every area like Wes.

So you can have the less courageous style that will be safer but you'll rarely if ever get a turnover or positive play from them. Or you have the exciting front foot aggressive type, you appreciate the pros and cons of both. For me i'm all about entertainment, so give me the action man vibes and I'll accept the mad sh*t that comes with it.

51 minutes ago, SafewayFox said:

On a sensible note, Faes is clearly a decent CB but stick with the opinion that we should look to upgrade in the summer if want to improve on this seasons below par results/performances.

He is however, NOT an issue like Soumare etc who SHOULD be bombed out of the squad for his sheer lack of improvement/laziness.

CBS are not grown on trees,and he & We are in his first season,which only just over half as been played…He is playing including himself with 3/4, new Backline teammates, and an inconsistent midfield groupings…Seriously I ask all to give him time,patience and space/leeway,even with your/all of too a detailed analysing..

I don’t indulge in looking for the blamegoat…but yesterday he did have a bad day at the office,though also had some top & oppo defying moments..

But nobody can even think he should be on his way out/notgood enough/upgrade..The guy hasn’t yet got into his new club and career…Tete,Nacho

can play more care free, CBs don’t have that luxury, plus are peaking nearer their 30s ,early 30s,,

Soumare is a quandary..he looks like he could,sometimes good forcefull movement( not often enough) then dawdles..His position he has to dominate, box to box, he is not making this important position his own,and we can’t  have both he & Tielemans ( whoever) taking time off for a cup of tea & a pit stop…while falling back to cover..

Sorry at present,I am all over the place, can’t sit up on bedside, & keep slipping into fog dimensions, & twighlight zones….but FT ,even the negative vibe batton carriers, “kill” approach, & lovelies like me who want to give encouragement & time to players to stamp their own game within team… Its hard when all seems,leaning towards a canter,and readjusting is a bit wobbly wobbly…like me…:frantics: