Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Filbert Fireworks

Wout Faes

1 hour ago, CosbehFox said:

There’s a player in Faes but it needs properly coaching

All the evidence suggests that he won't get that under Rodgers , who has failed at Liverpool, Celtic and now us. Personally I don't think Wout will change much but with sensible defensive tactics he would be fine. Sometimes Rodgers's boneheaded stubborn ideas make you despair.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, An Sionnach said:

The PL is still a different order of things however Rodgers's hopeless defensive tactics will undermine most CBs. Only Jonny seems to overcome his inexplicable ideas. Wout like Dan and even Jannik are hamstrung by them. Caglar I think has personal problems with him. I thought our new defensive coach would take reponsibility but then Rodgers is a control freak so it hasn't happened.

We quite rightly rated Huth and Morgan as centre halves but Rodgers tactics would leave them hamstrung also.

Huth, Morgan, Soyuncu, Faes, Evans, Vestergaard, Armarty, that would be a lot of decent players to sacrifice in order to adopt a particular style of play wouldn't it? Surely the most cost effective way would be to employ a coach who could adapt his style and tactics to suit the strengths of the players he actually had who are usually quite expensive commodities!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, FoxinNotts said:

I just want to see a settled defence of;

Iversen

Ricardo Souttar Faes Kristiansen 

Castagne to come on for either of the full backs, should they start flagging

Wouldn't be surprised if we see Castagne at RW. 

It's how BR set up in the friendly before the start of the season, and allow Ricardo to come inside to midfield with Castagne providing width. 

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, lcfc_forever said:

Wouldn't be surprised if we see Castagne at RW. 

It's how BR set up in the friendly before the start of the season, and allow Ricardo to come inside to midfield with Castagne providing width. 

I know you’re not necessarily advocating for that but it’s a horrible idea. I’d rather the off form Tete in there than Castagne anywhere near the 11 at the moment 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, An Sionnach said:

All the evidence suggests that he won't get that under Rodgers , who has failed at Liverpool, Celtic and now us. Personally I don't think Wout will change much but with sensible defensive tactics he would be fine. Sometimes Rodgers's boneheaded stubborn ideas make you despair.

I don’t think you can say he failed at Celtic. It’s obviously a poor league and he should have done better in Europe, but he won literally every domestic trophy he competed for. Of course you could say he could have don’t better, but it was very far from a failure. 

2 minutes ago, Dusty said:

I don’t think you can say he failed at Celtic. It’s obviously a poor league and he should have done better in Europe, but he won literally every domestic trophy he competed for. Of course you could say he could have don’t better, but it was very far from a failure. 

Its his defensive ineptitude I was really emphasizing. Teams get progressively worse under him.

3 hours ago, An Sionnach said:

The PL is still a different order of things however Rodgers's hopeless defensive tactics will undermine most CBs. Only Jonny seems to overcome his inexplicable ideas. Wout like Dan and even Jannik are hamstrung by them. Caglar I think has personal problems with him. I thought our new defensive coach would take reponsibility but then Rodgers is a control freak so it hasn't happened.

he's a set piece coach.  not nearly the same thing

• Like 1

1 hour ago, An Sionnach said:

So which  Leicester manager always got everything right and never made a mistake that didnt make you despair

• Like 4

1 hour ago, willie-bell-in-rothley said:

So which  Leicester manager always got everything right and never made a mistake that didnt make you despair

I am no fan of managers personally , they are too often overrated and rarely underrated. Rodgers however rarely admits to mistakes and would prefer the ship hits the iceberg than admit he's wrong.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, KFS said:

I know you’re not necessarily advocating for that but it’s a horrible idea. I’d rather the off form Tete in there than Castagne anywhere near the 11 at the moment 

My take is that with Tete, you have to treat him like you do a poaching striker like fryatt for example. Even if he’s not playing well, you leave him on because eventually he will have one of his moments that results in a goal.

It might be frustrating but just be patient. He seems to just turn on in random

moments. What was annoying in the last game is that it seemed he just activated and then brendan subbed him when we were looking like something good was about to happen. 

• Like 2

I watched all of the Belgium - Germany match and can assure you, Faes was exactly the same player he is for us.

Cleared a ball 2/3 of the way across the goal line.  Made one lunging block or tackle after another in extra time.  The type of effort-driven stuff that seems spectacular until you consider how much of it would be necessary given better positioning and coordination with his mates.

This is one case where I do not believe coaching is the problem.  He’s a decent player (certainly brave - too brave) and should gradually improve.  But he’s just not wired to read the game and get ahead of it.  He’s a very reactive player and that’s no good thing, especially in a CB.

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, KingsX said:

I watched all of the Belgium - Germany match and can assure you, Faes was exactly the same player he is for us.

Cleared a ball 2/3 of the way across the goal line.  Made one lunging block or tackle after another in extra time.  The type of effort-driven stuff that seems spectacular until you consider how much of it would be necessary given better positioning and coordination with his mates.

This is one case where I do not believe coaching is the problem.  He’s a decent player (certainly brave - too brave) and should gradually improve.  But he’s just not wired to read the game and get ahead of it.  He’s a very reactive player and that’s no good thing, especially in a CB.

Still on 24, can still learn and develop.

Wes Morgan didn't plan in the PL until he was 30.

Reading the game improves with experience.  

5 hours ago, An Sionnach said:

who has failed at Liverpool, Celtic and now us.>.Really!! <<

I only wish I could fail like Rodgers..If I chose his sport...

How far are you up your own ladder??

Many broken rungs I suspect..

Edited by fuchsntf

Guest Col city fan

That’s quite simply the issue. Would Faes (add ANY names of our players here), play better under a different manager?

We need to see whether that’s the case or not?!

God knows what hold Rodgers has over the board at LCFC? Any other club, he’d have been booted months and months ago,

43 minutes ago, KingsX said:

The goal line clearance was against Sweden.

The ball getting to that point in the first place was absolutely nothing to do with Faes and was due to poor defending from the other Belgium defenders and Courtois not getting in front of the shot properly.

There is nothing else to consider with that, it was just a piece of very good defending from Faes.

Faes had a good few weeks when he arrived here 

however, anyone watching how he plays can see that he is very aggressive in his defending and will have the occasional brain fart by coming for a ball that he simply cannot get. 
so it’s not a surprise that opposition coaches have played on this and we see him drawn more and more out of position further up the pitch.   Players need to have several strings to their bow - they cannot be overly one dimensional. Faes must learn to manage his aggression. whether rodgers is capable of doing this seems unlikely judging by what we’ve seen since the World Cup. Perhaps he will have had some better coaching at the Belgian camp. they clearly have decided that he’s one of their men for the future in that position. 

• Like 1

He’s so similar to soyuncu. he’s got plenty of positive attributes but there’s always the chance of a c*ck up. 

I think we just have to get used to that. It’s not something that can be coached unfortunately, I think his concentration/ decision making is just a little bit questionable. 

Overall he will be decent, but you better believe there will be more horror show moments along the way. As long as the good outweighs the bad, im

okay with it. 

One thing is certain though, the brendan set up definitely increases the likely-hood of seeing a mistake. Because he wants his defenders playing on the edge, whether that’s from his high lines, instructions to dive in aggressively or the tippy-tappy football at the back… all of it is a defenders nightmare in truth. 

Edited by Lambert09

20 minutes ago, Lambert09 said:

He’s so similar to soyuncu. he’s got plenty of positive attributes but there’s always the chance of a c*ck up. 

I think we just have to get used to that. It’s not something that can be coached unfortunately, I think his concentration/ decision making is just a little bit questionable. 

Overall he will be decent, but you better believe there will be more horror show moments along the way. As long as the good outweighs the bad, im

okay with it. 

One thing is certain though, the brendan set up definitely increases the likely-hood of seeing a mistake. Because he wants his defenders playing on the edge, whether that’s from his high lines, instructions to dive in aggressively or the tippy-tappy football at the back… all of it is a defenders nightmare in truth. 

...it is more than coachable!!!

It is decision making and his ability to read a game!!!

Taking that decision to try and get involved whilst leaving Rashford unattended was just suicidal, he had no chance to get near the ball, far too over zealous in that instance.

Saying that is not coachable, must be like how the Rodgers team operate.

Unpredictability is great for wingers and No 10s but not for a CB. That is why Faes doesn't really cut it as a starting CB in the PL, despite his promising start in the autumn. He's just too rash and that creates nervousness amongst his fellow defenders (and the crowd!). The best CBs don't need to be diving in and rushing around all over the place like Faes does because they read the game and anticipate. To make it worse, Faes doesn't have the pace to get himself out of trouble when he's inevitably out of position yet again. If we stay up we'll need a new starting CB to partner Harry, I think. 

Edited by Sunbury Fox
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, sacreblueits442 said:

...it is more than coachable!!!

It is decision making and his ability to read a game!!!

Taking that decision to try and get involved whilst leaving Rashford unattended was just suicidal, he had no chance to get near the ball, far too over zealous in that instance.

Saying that is not coachable, must be like how the Rodgers team operate.

i’m not so sure. Some players just have that instinct others don’t. 

You can’t coach players out of mis-kicks either.. it’s just brain farts that happen to some players more than others. 

Can’t think of too many players that made these type of errors that suddenly cut them out of their game after good coaching? 

1 hour ago, Lambert09 said:

i’m not so sure. Some players just have that instinct others don’t. 

You can’t coach players out of mis-kicks either.. it’s just brain farts that happen to some players more than others. 

Can’t think of too many players that made these type of errors that suddenly cut them out of their game after good coaching? 

...do you remember the argument Ndidi was having with Danny Ward!!!

That was to do with the ball coming to him (Ward) on his wrong foot and at pace.  You sort that out before you go out on the pitch. It is drilled into the outfield players to have the ball going to your keepers best foot. You mitigate the weakness by ensuring that players do not continue to replicate the same errors.

Rushing out to make a challenge he has no hope of winning (Faes) is nonsense, you teach him how to read the play and to hold his position, or he ensure someone is going to cover him, if he tries to anticipate and get beaten.

When he first turned up, him and Amartey were dovetailing,  covering each other, they seemed a lot more solid then. Something changed, that camaraderie went, no more fist bumping,  You cannot watch the same things happening over and over and see spending more money as the answer to the problem. Work with what you have, just help them to work together better.

You have to be a poor coach if you cannot be excited to make these players better than the sum of their parts.