Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Filbert Fireworks

Wout Faes

8 hours ago, Paninistickers said:

If we keep him, it'll be astonishing. The man is different level. 

I've banged his drum all summer whilst most of FT dive into reactionary garbage. 

He's ridiculously good for this level

Same boat. Faes was obviously above this level, he joined a poisoned chalice last season where everyone around him had lost their head, easy to make mistakes but his raw ability is lower prem level. He's a mile better than this league, but he's not superman, just needs the team around him to have a bit of consistency and he will be one of the best in the league this season. 

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, Dames said:

It wasnt reactionary garbage. We all saw him for a WHOLE season in the Premier League and he wasn’t good enough.

He seems to have found his level and at hopefully for the next year it is to our benefit. 

I disagree. He was our best defender last season imo. The problem was he wasn't backed up by anyone else at the back and offered little protection by our midfield. 

He's always been class and composed on the ball. Usually starts many attacks too. 

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, shailen said:

I disagree. He was our best defender last season imo. The problem was he wasn't backed up by anyone else at the back and offered little protection by our midfield. 

He's always been class and composed on the ball. Usually starts many attacks too. 

Thats not much of an accolade to be fair. He still made plenty of mistakes on and off the ball.

But he's does have all the attributes to be a decent PL defender.

Soumare and Tielemans in midfield will

expose any CB. Given Faes’ aggression and a generally weak structure it was perfectly set up to make him look poor.

The run when he first arrived is probably more like his level than after the World Cup, when we were hopelessly overran week after week.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Paninistickers said:

Strange comment. I saw him last season too for a WHOLE season yet looked beyond the results and felt it was a first class piece of scouting. 

Btw, he's not found his level. He's playing beneath his level. Which is why he looks so good. 

Its not strange I think a few people on here are revising history after a good couple of performances against lesser opposition. 

You don’t need to look beyond results, he was at fault for plenty during the back half of last season. He wasn’t good enough to elevate the quality of the defence in the Premier League and before we get into it, all it takes is one player to change the whole makeup of a defence, Robert Huth for example. Faes is not that guy. 

• Like 3

There's definitely a really good CB in there somewhere. Certainly too good for the Championship. Not trying to tout any of our players out or anything, but I could see Villa being interested if Mings is out long-term. He'd probably welcome the move back to the PL and would do an ok job for them. We'd get a decent fee as Villa are probably panicking after their result at Newcastle. Has the same agent as Youri doesn't he? Kind of makes too much sense.

Edited by SouthStandUpperTier

46 minutes ago, Dames said:

Its not strange I think a few people on here are revising history after a good couple of performances against lesser opposition. 

You don’t need to look beyond results, he was at fault for plenty during the back half of last season. He wasn’t good enough to elevate the quality of the defence in the Premier League and before we get into it, all it takes is one player to change the whole makeup of a defence, Robert Huth for example. Faes is not that guy. 

Whether the quality is there or not I think it's difficult to assess any player completely based on last season. 

The toxicity of Rodgers decline permeated the entire club. Lack of fitness, motivation and interest all signs of the failings. 

When you compare him with Huth's arrival that was into a strongly bonded squad on the rise that benefited from his attributes, specifically Morgan when alongside him. It's difficult to see how anyone could've had that much effect last season such was the decay.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Dames said:

Not when you have Dan Amartey and Timmy Castange next to you, he can't do it all on his own.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Paninistickers said:

Strange comment. I saw him last season too for a WHOLE season yet looked beyond the results and felt it was a first class piece of scouting. 

Btw, he's not found his level. He's playing beneath his level. Which is why he looks so good. 

PL teams will be clambering for his signature before the window closes then.

No idea what you saw last year, your comments are bizarre to me. 

It’s not just based on the results either. His performances were shocking.

4 hours ago, coolhandfox said:

Thats not much of an accolade to be fair. He still made plenty of mistakes on and off the ball.

But he's does have all the attributes to be a decent PL defender.

Yeah some absolute shockers during the time we were circling the plughole.

Having said that, Martinez said when we signed him that he's the future of Belgium's defence, but had some maturity to gain in his decisions. With the collective 'heads gone' and lack of Evans next to him last season I don't think we can judge him too harshly on his first PL season and I'm sure he'll grow this year in the Championship with the right group around him and proper leadership.

• Like 1

Think he’s the best in the championship at centreback, if he keeps those performances up he’s the best player overall. Was like van dijk yesterday, nothing getting past him and seems integral to the team when on the ball as well. Should be the centre-CB. Justin to the right and Doyle to the left.

• Like 2

Nice to read he's had the wherewithal to live in Rutland. I'm as pro city of Leicester as they come, but it ain't a place to sell to the players. Tigers have long since known that..all their lot are Rutland and Harborough based. Always have been. 

With Seagrave our base, selling players (at least the settled, family ones) an idyllic lifestyle in the vale of belvoir, Rutland, Charnwood type living is an easier win. 

Sadly, the ones who want a city lifestyle are better suited to West Bridgford (though personally I'd ban that. But I have to accept that we're in the realm world and not the fantasy world where I'd happily nuke Nottingham and allmits residents) 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Sol thewall Bamba said:

Really good interview with Tanner in the Athletic. The way Enzo has turned around the mentality of these players in 6 weeks is a miracle. 

I’m not his biggest fan as he makes too many mistakes for me, many of which are absolute clangers but you can’t deny the lad has ability and comes across very well in interviews. 

On 13/08/2023 at 09:09, Dames said:

It wasnt reactionary garbage. We all saw him for a WHOLE season in the Premier League and he wasn’t good enough.

He seems to have found his level and at hopefully for the next year it is to our benefit. 

He. Came into a team whos defensive responsible we’re into crash dive,nose,dive & tailspin,and a complete coaching staff that kept beating  the same already pierced drum…Plus set ups,where the players were already uncomfortable in their roles…

A single CB can’t hold back the tide and will be themselves forced into errors,a midfield that sent them regular hospital-passes,with no get out on payrol….CB is not like a GK who can Stand-alone..a la Shilton/Wallington..he needs onfield interfaces,

& get out clauses,not silly triangle around his own PBox.where nobody knew what the other faces were inter(ing).

like @Paninistickers I thought he like Soyu and Souttar were far from our problems. Something ( new system)we see already having positive results with same players different tact & only a few weeks..

.. Faes is one of those players one should try and keep,because his PL credential/capabilities are higher than  this forum gives him credit for .
Rodgers tenure of signings (maybe not within his responsibility…:dunno: ) we’re mostly pretty decent.

how to use them was his end-failing…and our falling..

He can like KDH  , Ricardo, Vardy,hopefully Nacho become a long worthy servant to the club…This type of player you shouldn’t so easily discard… I have asked for a captain outside the relegation scarred group…but this guy could have that potential..

I have always rated him, even with the odd gameday immediate knee-jerk reaction…

He stays he can help to (re) build the story…we can’t & shouldn’t go forward with too many loans…

He’s one I trust..there are others…but September might be or seem a longways off…

• Like 2

On 09/05/2023 at 14:17, FoxesWalk said:

He’ll do well in championship if he stays 

Comments that aged like milk!

No disrespect to you either, I thought the same thing! But I feel like the same problems rear their heads, a lack of concentration, poor decision-making and poor ability to read the flight of the ball. He was fantastic against Huddersfield, but he struggled badly against Cardiff.

Edited by StriderHiryu
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, StriderHiryu said:

Comments that aged like milk!

No disrespect to you either, I thought the same thing! But I feel like the same problems rear their heads, a lack of concentration, poor decision-making and poor ability to read the flight of the ball. He was fantastic against Huddersfield, but he struggled badly against Cardiff.

Id argue that up until today he has been a candidate for our best player so far. But yeah not the best showing vs Cardiff. Against Huddersfield in particular he looked a class above. 

Him and Vestergaard gesticulating to each other today and blaming each other for errors is not the best look. Coady can’t come back soon enough. 

• Like 2