Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Filbert Fireworks

Wout Faes

5 hours ago, AKCJ said:

Nah Faes is our best defender by a considerable margin. He's the only one that I could see other Premier League level sides wanting to buy.

Technically, yes, but he's a major liability. He plays like a kid with ADHD—making poor decisions and throwing in reckless tackles.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Will1981 said:

I think most teams with a half decent scouting network realised how much of a calamity he was last time we were in the Premier league.

He's Belgium's first choice. You'd imagine it's not hard to find a better alternative if he was really as bad as some on here make him out to be.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, shen said:

He's Belgium's first choice. You'd imagine it's not hard to find a better alternative if he was really as bad as some on here make him out to be.

Playing devils advocate a bit, who are Belgiums other options at cb?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, shen said:

When you bring up the list of current Belgian centre backs that isn't quite the achievement it seems like it should be

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, Guest said:

When you bring up the list of current Belgian centre backs that isn't quite the achievement it seems like it should be

They're not world class, but Debast and Theate are no mugs. 

Big issues for me is , 1 he switches off but more for me is he is too soft.  Both goals yesterday  he had a part in. First one he was wrong side. A little nudge on him and a jog back. No desire or nastiness  to win the ball.  

2nd goal  and not only his fault  but neither centre half's made that header difficult.  If you can't win the ball at least challenge  and make it difficult.  

As a team though we have been far too nice for too long. We get bullied far to easy. Last centre back with a pair of nuts was Huth. 

Edited by oz was my hero

As the season develops I won’t be surprised if we evolve into a back 3 to benefit from Coady’s experience and Jannick’s ability to launch attacks. Faes might get his move in the summer but I highly doubt it’s to a level above where we are. The constant arm flapping/complaining etc. is a real let down. 

Some good parts of his game, no doubt. Liability elsewhere.

16 minutes ago, oz was my hero said:

Big issues for me is , 1 he switches off but more for me is he is too soft.  Both goals yesterday  he had a part in. First one he was wrong side. A little nudge on him and a jog back. No desire or nastiness  to win the ball.  

2nd goal  and not only his fault  but neither centre half's made that header difficult.  If you can't win the ball at least challenge  and make it difficult.  

As a team though we have been far too nice for too long. We get bullied far to easy. Last centre back with a pair of nuts was Huth. 

He has threw his toys out the pram, surprised Cooper is still starting him.. there is no doubt he is a good defender when switched on but he thinks he should be in a better place by now.. under Enzo he was great but don't think Cooper has inspired him in which case his performances drop and then you have to drop him.

Edited by whoareyaaa

9 minutes ago, whoareyaaa said:

He has threw his toys out the pram, surprised Cooper is still starting him.. there is no doubt he is a good defender when switched on but he thinks he should be in a better place by now.. under Enzo he was great but don't think Cooper has inspired him in which case his performances drop and then you have to drop him.

Was that not just media noise? 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Mickyblueeyes said:

As the season develops I won’t be surprised if we evolve into a back 3 to benefit from Coady’s experience and Jannick’s ability to launch attacks. Faes might get his move in the summer but I highly doubt it’s to a level above where we are. The constant arm flapping/complaining etc. is a real let down. 

Some good parts of his game, no doubt. Liability elsewhere.

Unfortunately his major liability is defending 

• Thanks 1

Having been at the game I thought both centre halves had decent enough games.

However having watched back this morning all Villa's promising moments cams from an error from one of the 2, with Faes being potentially being worse than Okoli.

- Watkins tried to round Mads in the first half, Faes was wrong side of his man.

- Mads save in the first half from Watkins, Faes gave the ball away cheaply in our half.

- 1st goal Okoli gives a hospital pass which leads to the free kick, Faes doesn't bother to track Onana who can put into an empty net.

-2nd goal Duran fights Okoli off to allow him a free header which he takes very well.

If this is going to be the pairing, we aren't going to keep many clean sheets as both have atleast 1 brain dead moment in them per game, which in this league gets exposed. Think we will eventually resort to a 3 at the back with Vesty in the middle of these 2 once we are opened up by the lesser teams like Palace and Everton as well in the coming weeks.

• Like 1

His problem is his attitude. He thinks he is better than the club and he plays like it. If that’s how you view yourself then you are destined to be shite. He has the ability, but lacks the mentality. I’d drop him for players who actually want to play. He seems to play every hame at a casual pace and ends up getting caught out.

• Like 4

6 hours ago, shen said:

Last time I checked Belgium were still starting a 37 year old Jan Vertonghen so I can't imagine they've got amazing choices.

15 hours ago, whetstonefox said:

Him and Winks appear to have a love hate relationship 

I have a sense Faes is a bad apple in the dressing room. He moans too much and keeps blaming others on the pitch when he makes mistakes. Like last week when he blamed Mads for his ridiculous back heel. Happens every single time. Winks is a team player. He keeps emphasizing how we have a good dressing room etc. He must hate what Faes is doing in this regard.

Edited by Tom12345

7 hours ago, Will1981 said:

I think most teams with a half decent scouting network realised how much of a calamity he was last time we were in the Premier league.

Yes, I guess he'll never quite live the "Liverpool's best player" tag down at Anfield two seasons ago! Win that match after KDH's goal (without his two o.g.s there to follow) and we'd have stayed up! 

Rather than hate the bloke and generate more bad vibe, I actually hope he has a really good talking to by Coopers to calm his head. This will be better than having a player ostracized and create bad mood in the dressing room. He can improve if he can cut out his rashness and more importantly accept responsibility for mistakes. If he can’t see his mistakes, it is difficult for him to learn from them.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Guy said:

Yes, I guess he'll never quite live the "Liverpool's best player" tag down at Anfield two seasons ago! Win that match after KDH's goal (without his two o.g.s there to follow) and we'd have stayed up! 

Yes, and if Maddison wouldn't have missed that penalty against Everton (in the home game) .... it would have been 3-0 at halftime, they (Everton) would have never gotten back in the game then  So let's keep it at Roger Whittaker's "I don't believe in if anymore". (Yes, Iam that old)