Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Smig123

NEXT MANAGER??

I’d love us to go for an Amorim, Poch or Tuchel but there’s no chance they even consider us now.

Frank is a solid, maybe slightly uninspiring decision and therefore sounds exactly like our usual line of recruitment for the role.

I’d love us to go for an Arne Slot or Franck Haisse but think the board will class them as too risky.

There’s logic in bringing Dyche in to steady us for a couple of years, allow us to get systems in place to have a push again with a more progressive coach after that.

Wildcard for me would be Jorge Sampaoli!

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Stadt said:

We’ve never cast the net very far with managerial recruitment since the takeover.

Sven - Big name out of work, former England manager. Disaster.

Pearson - Former manager. Excellent.

Ranieri - Out of work big name who’d applied for the job, already managed in England. Amazing then a disastrous finish.

Shakespeare - Already at the club. Poor appointment.

Puel - Sacked at then end of the season by Southampton as he was hugely unpopular despite a reasonable job there. Good recruitment but largely dreadful on the pitch.

Rodgers - Appointed after he’d rebuilt his reputation at Celtic, a known entity after his previous jobs. Initial success, set us back years otherwise.

This isn’t a progressive track record, it’s worked (mostly) but this isn’t a hierarchy that knows football inside and out. We don’t have a head of analytics at present which shows how much we value one of the best tools to level the playing field.

Haise, Jaissle, Stephan, Fischer et al almost certainly aren’t on our radar because they’ve not managed in England.

Our director of football isn’t up to it and that’s probably the most important role in relation the long term success of a club.

Agreed.

Although Puel should be given more credit as he stabilised us. Bought in good players, as well as developing Chilwell, that the next manager (in this case Rodgers) could make use of. Don't get me wrong, Puel wouldn't have had us in the top 6 like Rodgers but he never had us near a relegation battle either. We need someone like that again now which is the saddest thing.

2 hours ago, Deeg67 said:

I agree with a lot of that, but I’ve yet to see any really convincing argument why Frank would leave Brentford for us as we are now.  And no, “we’re a bigger club” doesn’t convince me.  We may be literally bigger, but we’re loaded with debt and Brentford isn’t.  They play in a smaller stadium but they’re in London.  With a stadium expansion and some additional revenue generation, they have a lot of strategic advantages if they want to be ambitious.  The guy who takes us back to where we were three years ago is an important job, but I’m not sure how attractive it us to a manager who’s already got a pretty nice gig.  Frankly it sounds like you’re describing Dyche a lot more than Frank.

You've hit it on the nail. I believe Vichai would have dismissed Rodgers by now - sometime when it became apparent that the '21 summer window signings were proving so mediocre.

I think Top got the shitty end of the baton at the relay changeover. Taking over from a legend is a thankless task.

I think he hesitated where his dad would have acted - relinquishing the hard decisions in favour of hanging on to see if things got better. That's not to say he wasn't hobbled by the effects of Covid on the KP business.

Rodgers has vacillated too. I admire any manager who quits because he's honest with himself about his continuing effectiveness. It's a rare employee who would rather be sacked than resign, but, in the football manager-go-round, the next job is never very far away (metaphorically speaking). He's rich apparently, but he's now proving a burden to the club by his greed and obduracy.

If Frank was tempted here then my admiration for him would diminish somewhat. He's 'doing a Leicester' at Brentford - giving real fans a taste of the Premier high life on a limited budget through motivation and tactical nous. But, as City's well-being are a priority to me, I could forgive his 'disloyalty'.   

We need someone who's prepared to impose himself on more than the team - because it appears that there's a power vacuum at the executive level. We need someone who's able to motivate seriously demotivated players and is prepared to demand performance from those not giving 100% to the club that pays them very well...or else.

We have oodles of talent, yet it's being dissipated bit by bit every day Rodgers and his crew remain. Hiring a set piece coach is just yet another tweak hiding the real problem - that Rodgers has sucked the confidence from the team. 

The most incredible aspect of this is that a pattern has emerged where the team can still match other sides up to that '60th minute moment' when they now expect/assume that the substitutions will cause an implosion. That's where Rodgers has taken the team. Unless he's deliberately doing that, his tactical dimwittedness is jaw-droppingly shocking.

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, Fear Of The Fox said:

I don't think Simeone will leave Atletico but if he does he would be the perfect manager/coach for us. He can sort out our defensive problems and motivate this group of players to be aggressive and play with confidence.

I know the majority of our fans dislike him because of his attitude and character but right now we need someone like him or Tuchel. We need an active manager on the sideline with a feisty personality. The club is too soft from top to bottom. 

I've admired Simeone ever since he wangled Beckham's sending off in that 1998 international!

I doubt he'd even contemplate a move here. The fans love him and he has money galore to spend. But it would be a gift from heaven for City right now. As for City fans hating him, that would change overnight if his performance lived up to his rep at Atleti.

1 minute ago, Aleksz said:

Bloody hell - I was happy when he left Melbourne Victory, then he turned up with the Socceroos job and almost made a mess of the easiest World Cup qualifying campaign - he did win the Asia Cup on home soil but was again relieved to see him move on.

Has done way better than I expected at Celtic to be fair, but wouldn’t be a fan of him coming here.

• Like 1

Just now, Aus Fox said:

Bloody hell - I was happy when he left Melbourne Victory, then he turned up with the Socceroos job and almost made a mess of the easiest World Cup qualifying campaign - he did win the Asia Cup on home soil but was again relieved to see him move on.

Has done way better than I expected at Celtic to be fair, but wouldn’t be a fan of him coming here.

Did he not qualify for both World Cup's during his tenure and then left after securing qualification for the second one?

2 minutes ago, Muzzy_Larsson said:

Did he not qualify for both World Cup's during his tenure and then left after securing qualification for the second one?

He did but defeats to Iraq, and draws at home to the likes of Oman the first time around playing some pretty turgid football then the second time around finishing 3rd in the qualifying group before needing extra time to squeeze past Syria in the play off again playing some awful football along the way. I think everyone including Ange was happy he didn’t go to the World Cup in 2018.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Aus Fox said:

He did but defeats to Iraq, and draws at home to the likes of Oman the first time around playing some pretty turgid football then the second time around finishing 3rd in the qualifying group before needing extra time to squeeze past Syria in the play off again playing some awful football along the way. I think everyone including Ange was happy he didn’t go to the World Cup in 2018.

I can only speak for what I have seen at Celtic but he's been absolutely brilliant on and off the park. His signings have been sensational, I think out of 15/16 players he has signed there are at most 2 that haven't worked out and one of those were allegedly at the behest of Dermot Desmond. On the park the football has been breathtaking, the best I've seen in my lifetime anyway. Rodgers first 18 months was great but this is a level above and he's also had to deal with a decent Rangers side amongst that. The Rangers sides Rodgers faced were absolute basket cases.

I do think it suited him inheriting the mess he did as it allowed him to start with a complete blank canvas and sign exactly the players he needed to fit his style. Going into another club where he doesn't have that luxury and has to work mainly with what he's got I'm not sure how successful that would be as he has a very high intensity, high pressing, open, all out attack way of playing which obviously only certain types of players can adapt to. In general I think we suit him, a big fish in a small pond, I'm not sure how he'd do taking a middling club in another league and expecting them to play the same way and get the same type of results.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Sol thewall Bamba said:

As the Twitter football virgins would say: 

"Finished club sadly". 

There would be no point hiring him midway through a season. Have you saw the intensity Celtic play with? It's wild. We don't have the players to employ that type of system right now. 

Getting him in during a transfer window when he can sign players who can do what he wants them to do makes more sense. 

Edited by Scotch

1 minute ago, Scotch said:

There would be no point hiring him midway through a season. Have you saw the intensity Celtic play with? It's wild. We don't have the players to empty that type of system right now. 

Getting him in during a transfer window when he can sign players who can do what he wants them to do makes more sense. 

I was going to like that post until I read the second sentence! It makes sense, but no don't get him in!

Edited by Muzzy_Larsson
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Muzzy_Larsson said:

I was going to like that post until I read the second sentence! It makes sense, but no don't get him in!

What I think would suit Ange very much is 5 subs.... With that Intense pace, he could play it all game  

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

It depresses and confuses me greatly that there are seriously people that think Sean Dyche would be an appropriate appointment for an ambitious club that's won the league more recently than 50% of the "Big Six."

He is without a doubt in my mind the best short term fix i really think he comes he gets us out this mess and at the minute that is the only thing that matters!!!