Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
eye666

I respect Rodgers, and so should you…

If he left tomorrow could anyone honestly say that he's left the club in a better position than when he took over? The FA Cup win might have been memorable but in reality was just a huge sticking plaster over the decline Rodgers has presided over. 

• Like 2

Respect is a 2 way thing. He doesn't have any for us any more. Why should we have any for him? He doesn't respect the club or his bosses, or his team that plays for him. 

I respect his achievements of getting us to Europe twice and winning the FA Cup. But as much as I won't be abusive to him or call him all names under the sun, I do not respect him.

Ironically, the most respectful thing he can do is leave. 

I don’t know why you’re all assuming you understand his motivations. I don’t know why you’re all assuming you know the terms of this contract. I think you’re all being teenage girls about this. 

The OP is right: he is one of our more successful managers. It is clearly now time for him to move on, but that doesn’t mean he is a bad person, nor does it diminish his previous achievements.

• Haha 2

I respect him for what’s gone before, but his behaviour this season, with the constant moaning about lack of signings, has been disappointing.

To me it all feels a bit like a relationship that’s run its course.  There’s fault from all parties - the club let us down by not managing the finances and allowing this to happen, Rodgers let us down by whinging about it, the players have let us down by making mistakes.  No use in  finger pointing, just need to move on and get a new manager because the situation is toxic now and can’t be reversed unless something changes, and realistically the only thing that can easily change is the manager. 

1 hour ago, kingcarr21 said:

He has thrown us, the board, top and the players under the bus with his comments to save his own skin and to try and save face. Taking no responsibility for the financial mess he has massively contributed to. Any respect I had for him has gone now. 

I am amazed I have woke up and he still hasn't gone

But don't you think the board, top and the players need to take some responsibility? It wasn't Brendan that surrendered possession to Bentancur yesterday. Brendan has to take his fair share of responsibility but it is not all down to him. I agree with the OP on this, time for him to go, but we can't kid ourselves that it will magically turn around. The players need to sort themselves out. Apart from Madison they have all been below par this season.

First manager in 10+ years who will leave the club in a worse position than he found it. Probably going back to Sousa.

Most managers leave under something of a cloud but few do the sort of damage that has been done in the last 10-12 weeks let alone the last 10-12 months.

I no longer respect him to be honest, he should have gone a year ago. The damage he has done in the last 12-18 months has us in a position now where, if we listen to history, we are very likely to be relegated. He, and the board, are responsible for potentially destroying the club. I fear for our existence if we go down, and I do think we will go down regardless of who takes over. 

3 minutes ago, Captain... said:

But don't you think the board, top and the players need to take some responsibility? It wasn't Brendan that surrendered possession to Bentancur yesterday. Brendan has to take his fair share of responsibility but it is not all down to him. I agree with the OP on this, time for him to go, but we can't kid ourselves that it will magically turn around. The players need to sort themselves out. Apart from Madison they have all been below par this season.

The method of play and dogma are down to the coach 

the players seem to be instructed that there is one way to play and the risks are worth taking whatever the circumstances 

I'm not anti pass pass pass - I like controlling the game but it has to have more of a purpose. Just having possession at the back and not in the final third is not controlling a game because you aren’t threatening to ever score. We used to do it well. we haven’t for a considerable time

12 minutes ago, Captain... said:

Of course others need to take responsibility but we can't do it all at once. First and foremost Brendan needs to go and then we go into survival mode and assess the rest at the end of the season. I can't recall a managers position being more untenable than this.

I've never seen so many individual player threads be so busy either. Players that have all performed brilliantly at this club for large periods. Common denominator...?

Edited by foxfanazer

5 hours ago, eye666 said:

… But it’s time to go.

Some perspective is required and we should have the decency to pay him some respect as one of our most successful managers ever.

He managed us to our first ever FA Cup. He took a mid-table team to the cusp of the Champions League, and took us to the semi finals of a European competition where the club had never been before. He had us playing some of the best football I’ve seen where we managed games like I’ve not seen before, pressed and attacked in numbers, and won big games I dreamt of as a kid - beating Arsenal multiple times (we always always lost, especially away), Man Utd in the cup run, and Chelsea in the cup final. And let’s not forget a record 9-0 victory at Southampton.

He has a squad of very good players who have played some decent football this season. For 60 minutes against Brentford it was a walk in the park. Against Southampton it was similar where we dominated the game for large parts. Against Tottenham we the better team for 45 minutes. But his decision making and responding to opponents tactical tweaks has been woeful, with him showing an inability to adapt to the situation unfolding on the pitch.

I can appreciate that he didn’t get what he wanted in the summer window, but the club has to operate within it’s means for the long term. We still have quality players in the squad, who collectively should be nowhere near bottom of this league.

However, it’s clear that a rot has set in, with a disorganised defensive structure, and a weak mentality where we are imploding every game. We all know that if we get a lead that we won’t be able to see the job through right now. And whilst Brendan is trying tweaks here and there, it is clear that he doesn’t know his best team, that he doesn’t have a plan B, and that the players heads drop too easily because confidence has gone.

Brendan should be celebrated for what he has achieved with the club, but that his time is up and that we need fresh ideas. I hope that as a club we can respect what the man has given us over the past few years, whilst also recognising that his time is up, and at the same time that the media spin about him not being backed can be put to bed - he has clearly lost the dressing room and his decision making leave a lot to be desired. At this level that means the end.

I wish him well, but there is a fantastic squad waiting for someone with new ideas and enthusiasm to steer us to safety with fast, direct football, and build a squad next summer to challenge for Europe again next season. There is no better time for a new man to start than now with an international break to reorganise and regroup, and with a fixture against local rivals where we chop some trees and climb the table.

Thank you Brendan, but it’s time for a new manager to lead us forward.

I agree with you and some of the vitriol is very very distasteful. He needs to go now. Just a point respect is a two-way thing unfortunately Brendan has lost my respect because the only thing he respects is "Brand Brendan".  when ur scraping the barrel for excuses and constantly detracting from your own failings by disrespecting all those around you, then people loose respect for you. I acknowledge the good things he has achieved but they are now a distant memory, and in danger of being badly tarnished.

I respected him for the FA cup and community shield.  We have had some great times and wins under him but that time has come to an end.

I don't however respect him right now for what is happening. He has thrown the club, management, players and fans under the bus and blamed everyone but himself until now.

He has treated certain players badly (Praet, Mendy, Kel, Cags....)

He has made some weird and stupid decisions (the players are fatigued but he makes no subs)

It's clear he wants out but is refusing to resign.

Just get it done now before this becomes irreparable.

• Like 1