Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
BrianSwan

Where did it go wrong for you?

I write this as a curious outsider, and by no means wish to wind up anyone.

Leicester have been held up as a pillar for the rest of the clubs in the English pyramid as a model professional club. Where if you do everything right, you can beat the odds and win trophies vs the wealth of oil states, doing a 'Leicester'. What has happened the past two years? is it just impossible to keep replacing the players who leave with equal quality after a while? Have you lost key people in recruitment? Southampton had a similiar thing, at one point they had Tadic, Mane, Van Dijk etc

I hope the new manager can sort it out for you.

I don’t feel there was a specific point where it went wrong but there were plenty of signs that while Rodgers can coach good football, he is a terrible manager psychology wise. The early examples were the Villa semi final where we completely froze and then the Bournemouth capitulation. He has simply never been able to inject positivity back into the squad since the 9-0 really. 

What we see with the success under Pearson and Ranieri, and with Pep and Klopp is that psychology is most important in the modern game, Rodgers either ignores that or doesn’t have the man management skills to implement it. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Fox92 said:

I said years ago, people recall Liverpool and Man City defeats across Christmas 19-20 but the week before we drew at home to Norwich 1-1 and it was a shocking performance. Since then it's been inconsistent.

But we haven't improved the team. Last summer's new players have not improved the team. And ultimately we have sold better players. It's not something any club can sustain.

I wonder how much of an impact Brendan has had on our signings? Hasn’t he said in the past he gets the final say? It must be difficult to find players he’s happy with.

10 minutes ago, BrianSwan said:

I write this as a curious outsider, and by no means wish to wind up anyone.

Leicester have been held up as a pillar for the rest of the clubs in the English pyramid as a model professional club. Where if you do everything right, you can beat the odds and win trophies vs the wealth of oil states, doing a 'Leicester'. What has happened the past two years? is it just impossible to keep replacing the players who leave with equal quality after a while? Have you lost key people in recruitment? Southampton had a similiar thing, at one point they had Tadic, Mane, Van Dijk etc

I hope the new manager can sort it out for you.

You could argue that Top’s reluctance to go into the transfer market this season is another example of Leicester at least trying to do everything right. We are currently not within the soon to be introduced ffp wages to revenue rules. Our wage bill is far too high for the new rules. With a relatively big net spend last season and expected sales this season of Tielemans, Soyuncu, Mendy, Soumare, Vestergaard etc not happening (with the market having dropped out of the mid value player), we have not generated enough money so Top has not allowed us to spend. Ironically this approach, combined with a manager who has lost his ability to motivate (and one who has always struggled tactically) might now result in us being relegated with the massive implications that has for a club that has tried to break the big 6 ceiling. 

1 minute ago, Fox92 said:

I said years ago, people recall Liverpool and Man City defeats across Christmas 19-20 but the week before we drew at home to Norwich 1-1 and it was a shocking performance. Since then it's been inconsistent.

But we haven't improved the team. Last summer's new players have not improved the team. And ultimately we have sold better players. It's not something any club can sustain.

Those two very obvious calamities, when Ben Chilwell got no help to deal with Salah/Trent-Arnold and Mahrez showed Rodgers tactical shortcomings. It was as if he was relying on the attack to score more than Liverpool and Man City would. This plus fielding Ayoze Perez again and again when it was obvious he wasn't contributing enough.

West Ham at home during lockdown (0-3). The day the blueprint was laid down for how to beat Rodgers’ Leicester team, especially at the King Power. Many have succeeded with the same “stay organised, isolate the striker, allow them to circulate the ball impotently from side to side, wait for them to give the ball away and strike” strategy because our manager is obstinately inflexible in thought and deed and will not accept that his way is not the right way.

Furthermore, and this is key to his failure, he knows no other way.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3