Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
BrianSwan

Where did it go wrong for you?

3 minutes ago, DezFox said:

Seagrave. 

Yeah, I think there's an element of truth in this. Could just be coincidence but the players just don't seem to have the desire they used to. I actually agree with Rodgers on this but on the other hand, he gets paid £10m a year to make sure this doesn't happen. It's literally his job to create the culture so to then moan about it in the media is another reason I've lost all respect for a manager I absolutely loved at one point.

3 hours ago, gerblod said:

Those two very obvious calamities, when Ben Chilwell got no help to deal with Salah/Trent-Arnold and Mahrez showed Rodgers tactical shortcomings. It was as if he was relying on the attack to score more than Liverpool and Man City would. This plus fielding Ayoze Perez again and again when it was obvious he wasn't contributing enough.

Selecting Perez time after time with the same result was a massive warning sign for me and really a harbinger of his future favouritism towards certain players and refusal to face facts or change his failed ways.

I think as others it was Norwich - Liverpool - Man city which seemed to cause a collapse in confidence which Rodgers never fixed as a good (not even elite) manager should have.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, lcfc_forever said:

When Schmeichel punched the ball into the back of his own net vs Tottenham.

Missing out on CL for a second season in a row was very damaging, compounded by Fofana's injury and buying Vestergaard. 

Was that the final game of 20/21? I've never watched that game back so don't remember that specific goal, but that game is a big one. I was lucky enough to nab a ticket (despite being at the cup final) and everything went wrong. Fofana's injury but just the total lack of atmosphere and desire that day. It was like a morgue and a win would've got us CL. Rodgers putting Wilf at CB was another horrific shout too. It's actually mad how little that game is talked about.

• Like 1

2020/2021 was pivotal for me. You could see the side crumbling. In the end 1-2 players were carrying the entire team on its back, especially Iheanacho, and then these same players getting relegated to bench duty at the start of next season, because he didn't fit "the system".

That said Ndidi's massive drop in form via injuries has been pivotal. So far in the past two years only Maddison has seemed to develop, not regress. By far my fave player right now.

Overall Rodgers simply doesn't not know how to manage form and to play to team strengths, instead trying to fit a circle in a square.

52 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Which successful teams play sustained counter attacking football?

In reference to our 2015/16 team people  make far too much of counter attacking and far too little of the high press and high tempo. That was really the basis of our success and more accurately describes our style of play.

Yes counter attacking was part of our game plan but it was really a byproduct of us winning the ball back in good areas and then looking for a positive forward pass as quickly as possible. This gave the opposition little time to reset.

That’s the way Liverpool have played under Klopp and to an extent the way all good teams play in this country. Yes, some teams have higher possession stats than others for various reasons, sometimes because the lesser opposition don’t want the ball, or because they aren’t good enough to keep it, or maybe just because the superior players are just battering them and they can’t get the ball.

But pressing high, using pace and playing forward passes quickly are essential to effective football. Statistically most goals are scored within 3 passes (and that’s not one of Brendan’s made up stats).

When we transitioned into possession football (in my opinion a decision at least partly made because we lost Kante and lost confidence in the system without his energy levels and ball winning) we didn’t factor in that you need exceptional players to make it work. And even if you have better players, you still make it harder for them because you are asking them to play several inch perfect passes or dribble round players.

We only won the title that year because we played a different style of football to other top teams at the time. If anything, we helped blaze the trail for more modern English football as it transitioned away from the Mourinho and tiki-taka styles that are now old hat. Even Pep employs a more dynamic faster paced style over here than he did in Spain.

To be clear, I’m not suggesting Pep saw what Leicester did and copied us, but he understood the importance of intensity, pressing and even forward passes, and we unfortunately have largely abandoned those things over the last 6 years.

• Like 1

2nd time we threw 4th place away. I have annoyed a lot of people on this board by banging  on that Rodgers needs to go. It was obvious to me that things were not right at all. This goes deeper than the manager though, into recruitment, coaching, management of ALL players and the wider management team of the whole club. It’s a shit show. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, ARM1968 said:

2nd time we threw 4th place away. I have annoyed a lot of people on this board by banging  on that Rodgers needs to go. It was obvious to me that things were not right at all. This goes deeper than the manager though, into recruitment, coaching, management of ALL players and the wider management team of the whole club. It’s a shit show. 

I think it was a false sense of safety, because Leicester was in some ways consistently punching above it's weight.

We’re never more than 1 bad manager away from relegation, all clubs the size of Leicester are regardless of recent success.

The two 5th place finishes really were sliding doors moments for this club, they were the chance to really establish ourselves as a top club, to bring the investment and the players that would allow us to sustain the success.

Without that, everything we’ve built since the owners came in is now at a massive risk.

If Rodgers goes, there is no guarantee that the next manager won’t take us down. 

37 minutes ago, sylofox said:

3 seasons ago away at norwich a goal down with 30 to go. Playing like we was 5 up sideways sideways backwards. No attempt to win or get a draw.  The first and only time I've walked out before the whistle.

Same this was the game i was done with him, wasn't really that giddy about the football we were playing unlike most of our fan base who thought we were playing like prime Barca.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DezFox said:

Seagrave. 

I remember reading something about the players training at seagrave and then just going home, whereas at the previous training ground they would spend time together. Cant remember who said this and if it's true, however it would give some reasoning as to why the team doesnt look like a team anymore and the "family" vibe disappearing.

Been happening over past 2 seasons... of his signings... which ones have actually been an improvement to the regular team or squad ... the league winning side has now aged or left leaving a void he has been unable to fill with HIS signings... and I believe certain players are ostracised because they actually have an opinion and left out completely.... we are shipping goals in like never before.... but 2 International defenders can't get a look in or he won't take the view to play slightly more defensive and get some points on the board and move forward from there 

The cracks appeared long before that Bournemouth game. That result was coming, we kept sitting back on 1-0 leads or even, bizarrely, when we were drawing.

The first instance I remember, as others have said, was that Norwich home match in 2019. Iheanacho was subbed before half time just when he was building up some momentum and confidence with a run in the side. Then we limped to a dull draw, showing no urgency to score a winner at all. It was a very strange game.

We got hammered by Man City and Liverpool after that and we never consistently looked the same team again after that. Since then we’ve shown flashes of brilliance but always followed closely by increasingly regular signs of tactical suicide, ineffective dull football  and mental fragility.

• Like 2