Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
alfox13

England thread

3 minutes ago, Nalis said:

Exactly but the average unnformed fan just wants to ignore all that and call him shit because its the cool thing to do for some unknown reason.

Well said. Pickford was brilliant at both the last World Cup and Euro 2020, repeatedly saving Southgate’s blushes. 

1 minute ago, Wymsey said:

Would he actually care though, as Southgate may have not played him to his strengths etc.

I mean, his tweet about finally getting his first ever senior cap for England from like 4 years ago is still pinned to the top of all of his social media profiles. It clearly means a lot to him when you listen to him speak about it. He wouldn't care about being played to his strengths as long as he actually played

58 minutes ago, buzzer_b said:

Was hoping to see Toney tonight. That’s possibly his chance to go to the World Cup gone.

Of course it is, if his club form isn't haaland like up until the squad announcement Southgate wont pick him at all, if it is he'll pick him and never play him!

I enjoy watching this clueless, dour, idiots teams as much as.... Well guess!

Southgate is a fool. England have no out and out playmakers and the part playmakers that he does have at his disposal he sends down the wings which to our opponents is all to obvious when figuring out how to beat us with our mundane playing style.

Having someone like Maddison in the team or even on the bench with his attributes could be key to progressing further into the comp as opposed to not.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, dobbylcfc said:

This England team won’t win anything with Southgate in charge. What did he say when he was first appointed???? “I pick players on form” yeah right Gareth your just a yes man for the FA. 

Southgate is just the latest in a long line of FA appointed yes men that have repeatedly failed to bring success and have wasted the undoubted talent that we have in this country.

I used to really look forward to the world cup, it was a summer festival of amazing talent and beautiful football and England!

Historically our most talented were not in the squad or not given a chance, if George Best and Pele were born English they'd have had a couple of caps between them!

Conversely Maddison would walk into most other countries starting 11 let alone squad!

We were and are managed by a conservative "better to not risk being beaten heavilly" mindset which fails and fails again.

The priority for the FA is "a safe pair of hands" and "a man who won't rock the boat",

the priority for people like Southgate seems to be keep the job!

The WW1 phrase "Lions led by donkeys" sums up England management to me.

I'm not looking forward to the bribary cup this time, selling it to those barbarians is the final proof that the once beautiful game has been brought to its knees by greed and corruption - how much faith can anyone have that refs and other officials have not been similarly bought?

• Like 4

1 hour ago, KFS said:

The Maguire criticism was funny at first but now it’s overblown and a bandwagon topic. Quite unfair on the lad really

Yes He devides opinion , He makes mistakes and so the Fans criticise him. The harder he tries the more mistakes he makes. 

I don't think the big Fee helps him though that's not his fault. I think he just needs to be left to settle into the job where he feels comfortable.

He's not a bad player he just needs a few breaks. Credit to him to keep putting himself out there for more. It says alot about his character.

We could certainly do with him back now, even with the odd mistake.

I wa

3 hours ago, Clever Fox said:

Yes He devides opinion , He makes mistakes and so the Fans criticise him. The harder he tries the more mistakes he makes. 

I don't think the big Fee helps him though that's not his fault. I think he just needs to be left to settle into the job where he feels comfortable.

He's not a bad player he just needs a few breaks. Credit to him to keep putting himself out there for more. It says alot about his character.

We could certainly do with him back now, even with the odd mistake.

I was there last night, there were a few boos but I'd say most fans rallied behind him. The first goal was an individual error which considering he isn't playing regularly, can happen. The second goal when he was caught in possession doesn't worry me too much, he was trying to effect play and be an extra man going forward. Almost counter to southgates excessive defensiveness.

Having followed England a lot over the last few years, Maguire has contributed towards an awful lot of goals/chances either by bringing the ball out or making a pass that takes out several opponents.

Coming to City on loan would be beneficial for all parties IMO.

He has been arguably one of England's key 3 players over the last 4 years, not just for being a bog standard centre back.

He just needs to recover form and, crucially, confidence.

Edited by Lcfcbl
From instead of form
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

50 minutes ago, Lcfcbl said:

I wa

I was there last night, there were a few boos but I'd say most fans rallied behind him. The first goal was an individual error which considering he isn't playing regularly, can happen. The second goal when he was caught in possession doesn't worry me too much, he was trying to effect play and be an extra man going forward. Almost counter to southgates excessive defensiveness.

Having followed England a lot over the last few years, Maguire has contributed towards an awful lot of goals/chances either by bringing the ball out or making a pass that takes out several opponents.

Coming to City on loan would be beneficial for all parties IMO.

He has been arguably one of England's key 3 players over the last 4 years, not just for being a bog standard centre back.

He just needs to recover from and, crucially, confidence.

It's only those players who put themselves in the firing line make mistakes. When apportioning blame you need to look at the bigger picture.

Who else could have made the challenge, Was he dropped in it by others, Etc. Etc.

Yes,  I'd take him back on loan given out current circumstance, though I don't see it happening.

As we currently know, Confidence is such a big part of the game.

It’s mad isn’t it? I can’t quite remember another situation quite the same. I understand loyalty is important and to a certain point I respect it but blind faith is madness. Not only does it weaken the team but what does it say to other players? Ben White for example? “You can play as well as you want but you ain’t gonna play me duck”. 

• Like 1

Should Maguire go to the World Cup or be dropped?  I don't think people would be having this conversation on Maguire if there wasn't a dearth of talent in the country for the centre back position.  Clubs and the FA seem to have produced a conveyor belt of wing backs. but someone seems to have forgotten about the centre back and Goalkeeping positions, which arguably are the most important.  Hence Southgate who played under Hoddle with the 352 system using 2 defensive midfielders employs a similar system, he knows with all the abundance of attacking talent, England don't have the defensive nous and ability against top class opposition.

5 hours ago, ARM1968 said:

Seems to me England managers directly or indirectly help to funnel talent to the top clubs. Play for one of the big 6, more like big 3, and you’re in. Message to players like Madders is, you’re at the wrong club. 

Its always been this way despite whatever crap the manager comes out with once they take charge. They'll get a few games to make a few bold choices but then the FA and sponsors start having their say and that's it, you have to pick players that will increase exposure, traditionally it was the big clubs with the big fan bases so you have to pick their players.

Its the same pattern every time. Harry Maguire is being picked because morbidly people will tune in just to see him make a gaff and have a pop on social media which will increase exposure.

A lot of people talk about form etc but you can see why a manager has favourites and chooses players he likes or he feels fit into the squad better. And then he will die by those decisions. 

Germany picked the likes of Klose and Podolski and others for years based on their performances for their country rather than anything they did at club level. 

It's part of the difficulty in being an international manager. Are you supposed to rip up plans and bring new players in just before a world cup or do you go with what you know and hope they perform? 

Southgate is still shit mind. 

• Like 1