Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
alfox13

England thread

I’d be lying if I said I don’t care. Of course I do otherwise why would I tune in time and time again - disappointment after disappointment? We all love our star club players and even more so when they are local. There’s a certain pride in seeing these players at the very highest level representing the country. Where the dream falls apart is we all wish to see these players perform like they do for their club but for their country. Trouble is it all depends on who the England manager is.

We have had very few managers that can ignite some real passion, willingness and fortitude to really battle the opposition no matter what and instill those values in the players. Bobby Robson/venebles/Keegan are a few that come to mind. They had their flaws too. We just seem to lack that X factor to get over the line where we fall short. Laws of probability say it will happen but not sure it will under southgate. He has this WC to prove it if not he has to go.

19 minutes ago, cruzFOX said:

I’d be lying if I said I don’t care. Of course I do otherwise why would I tune in time and time again - disappointment after disappointment? We all love our star club players and even more so when they are local. There’s a certain pride in seeing these players at the very highest level representing the country. Where the dream falls apart is we all wish to see these players perform like they do for their club but for their country. Trouble is it all depends on who the England manager is.

We have had very few managers that can ignite some real passion, willingness and fortitude to really battle the opposition no matter what and instill those values in the players. Bobby Robson/venebles/Keegan are a few that come to mind. They had their flaws too. We just seem to lack that X factor to get over the line where we fall short. Laws of probability say it will happen but not sure it will under southgate. He has this WC to prove it if not he has to go.

We have the worlds most valueable squad in terms of market value surely one can expect more? The last Eurocup was pretty much designed for us to win: 6/7 games played in Wembley and the covid restrictions made it difficult for many away fans to attend the games, we should have won that one.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Samilktray said:

Can’t believe how many people don’t care about England but still feel compelled to post in this thread and tell everyone

It doesn't mean they don't have an interest, It is probably because they has given up caring too much, and had too many false dawns.  They don't want to put the effort in anymore and become disappointed for the umpteenth time. 

• Like 2

Guest StevieLynex
9 hours ago, smudger63 said:

I've mentioned this in the past! My nightmare scenario was that we got off to a bad start, and kept Rodgers until the break for the World Cup before sacking him, and then when England inevitably flop in the World Cup, Southgate is sacked and he gets the job with Leicester. Oh the joy!! :angry:

And then we sign Maguire in January 

Guest StevieLynex
18 minutes ago, whoareyaaa said:

Going into the world cup with the worst form for a while maybe they will play with more desire and saving it for the World cup.

Just like our lads. I can see us winning the next 31 games and winning the Premier League

21 hours ago, CrispinLA in Texas said:

The same Media folk who now want Southgate out are the ones who want Leicester to keep Brendan..... 🤔 f**king hypocrites 

World Cup Semi Final, 4th place World Cup finish, Nations League 3rd place, Euro 2020 final: England have overachieved.

If the cap fits....

Right? 

This is going to be my response to anyone who claims Leicester have overachieved and that we should be thankful to Brendan Rodgers.

:englandsmile4wf:

Edited by Matt
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

We have had far better teams than the present one with genuinely world class players. Yet won nowt, bad luck? bad management? Actually our present team has only one player who would get in some of our earlier teams - Kane. You could say that we are overachieving but the truth is standards have dropped and there are fewer top class players around so we remain competitive. The World cup will be competed for by a lot of very average teams so we are no better or worse than they are.

55 minutes ago, David Hankey said:

Where's the pride and passion gone?

Southgate has coached it out of the players. Maybe there's a sense of pride but the passion has been reversed into negativity and lack of belief.

He needs to go. He even looks as dull as he actually is.

• Haha 2

I would love to see a documentary featuring all the very best modern day World Cup winning managers to get their perspective on the England complex.

could they/would they be able to coach any of these talented England teams and achieve a trophy? Some of these guys have managed in England so they would be very intimate with the English football league and certain players. It’s just mind boggling baffling that the nation has not seemed to follow up on 66 no matter what they try. Got to get to the bottom of this timeless mystery.

I've never been a Southgate fan. After all the only thing he has ever won in football is relegation. 

He is a poor mans Rodgers. Both have a plan A but sometimes Rodgers does vary the plan A. Neither have a Plan B so what you see at the start is what you are going to finish with at the end. All the tactics appear to be worked out a month ahead of the game and written on tablets, that is the stone kind of tablet. 

Not even the World Cup is going to make a required distraction from the depressing season. Though I hear the rainbow arm bands they will all be wearing are very pretty.

Edited by Bazly
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, TonyN11 said:

I saw a very poor team play on Friday night. They are called Italy.

The English team managed to be worse.

England players are mentally weak which is why nations like Croatia and Italy manage to beat us even though we have a squad of quality players

Edited by whoareyaaa
  • Like 2

Just read the news that TAA, Bowen, Tomori and Ward-Prowse are out of the England squad for tonight's game. 

I wouldn't mind if Southgate was building a tight knit trusted squad that onnpaper might not be the best squad available but having harnessed a rare and unique bond it propelled us further than a dysfunctional squad of superstars who have no cohesion. The issue is, the former is no longer working. He's lost all respect when he's saying he will pick players on merit either through their club form or having been excellent for England and then he's still selecting muck like Coady or Walker over Tomori and TAA. 

Mason Mount has never had a good game for England, he's been poor for Chelsea since last season and yet he's one of those players that will always be in the squad regardless. 

His time is surely up for England. I've always struggled to agree with his negative tactics but I respected the way he took the England job and looked at how he could try and get them on board to show pride and passion. Then between the 2018 World Cup and the delayed Euro 2020 he made us even more negative after we'd shown some real improvement in that first Nations League when we beat the likes of Spain with an attacking 4-3-3 system. The Euros was brilliant, post covid the whole nation needed it and we all know major tournaments are built on being a well organised and tactical team but we were horrible once again in the crunch match vs Italy and issued our golden chance to write history.

We need someone who wants the job as much as Southgate has and takes seriously the credentials needed to build a squad that makes this fine country proud but he has to have the tactical ability and footballing mentality to play football that the nation can be proud of and utilise the wealth of attacking talent we have.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1