Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
themightyfin

School Team - Early Football memories

At primary school aged about 10, me and Ian Holmes had the most amazing chemistry between us. We used to have a girl called Liz Hanson plus us two play against about 8 other kids and batter them every lunch time. We took it in turns to score and it was almost telepathic. I've never had a strike partner like him since - magical.

My career progressed to become a tricky winger who would cut in and score (prime Mahrez) and my highlight was scoring 5 for Lutterwoth Juniors and Youth in a 15-1 win against Charnwood under 15's.

Then I broke my ankle, started smoking, and it all turned to shit.

Coulda been a contender.....

I scored a super headed own goal from a corner whilst plying for Ravenhurst Junior again an Eyres Monsell school team .Then the lad who took the corner Paul Mclean came to our school and we were best pals .He gave me a pair of Puma boots luvly,He went on to play for England Universities and we had several others at Enderby town .Oadby town and Leicester incl Martin and Graham Capewell twins as full backs who played for  City Graham Shilton in goal decent 

Played on the wing purely because I had pace. Absolutely no technical ability and the touch of a trampoline, but I could pretty much outrun everyone. 

The usual strategy was to lump it down the wing for me to chase, which I would inevitably get to first, only for me to twat it aimlessly across the pitch in an attempt to cross it.

I didn't get picked much. 

I played for the year 6's when I was in year 5, scored a few hatricks, a overhead kick and got trials for the sheep shaggers and that was the end.

Oh and we also won the treble for the school team.

That was my footballing highlights up to the age of 16.

Edited by whoareyaaa

I was pretty decent, played for YMCA at Belvoir drive who were the top boys team at the time. But was a timid, nervous boy and relatively well-spoken playing with streetwise loud city kids from council estates and it really wasn't a good fit. 

I've always felt a bit resentful that local football back in the day was ring-fenced.for working class lads, unless you were exceptionally good

Edited by Paninistickers
  • Like 1

Guest Col city fan

I played for Hamilton (when it was Hamilton) during 1980-1985

9 of the team played for East/West Leicester and then Leicester Boys.

I was at RB, nearly continually 

We didn’t play much in the 5th year though, due to Exams and the fact that we’d discovered girls by then.

Great team.. won lots of trophies 

I played wing (I was as quick as a racing snake), or Centre midfield as I was a mouthy knob who chucked himself into tackles. 

I remember playing against teams like Albert Village, Ashby, Moira, Colerton etc and we’d regularly put 10 to 15 goals past them. Then one day we played some random ready from Burton and got rolled over 5-0. :D If we weren’t all about 10 years old, you’d have thought we’d all been on the lash. 

I was too shy and lacking in confidence to put myself forward to experience much junior football. I remember plucking up the courage to go for the trials at senior school and making the school team when I was 11. I still remember so well me and one of my best friends both seeing our names in the staring 11 for the seasons opening game, such a heady mix of elation and excitement, mixed with a little trepidation. I remember getting told off in that first ever game for chatting too much to the opposition winger I was marking. 

I was at a new school by the new year and didn't play again until my late teens. Much to my surprise, a lad from school asked me to play for his Saturday team and I managed to get confident enough to thoroughly enjoy  playing regularly for several years after. Immensely proud of my defender of the year trophy one season when we had a - 60+ goal difference. 

Queen elizabeth was my queen, when Mr Phillips chose me for my schools football 2nd team,I played left-half,applauded the polical-left, I still spoke English,and rode my horse on the left.He asked me to jump up to the first team..

Mr Phillips was like a football-kop bully, so I told him to stuff it, and learned to love how to hold, protect that beautifull egg-shaped ball..Then played all over the world..listening to false bragging-rights of false-dawn football supporters & what could of been. Funny enough still followed the foxes everywhere,when nights,shifts,weather allowed. Visited all then except 4 League grounds…

Both Foxes & Tigers branded in my soul…Because of changing ball disciplines,thanks a nagging football coach, & an encouraging group of coaches in Rugby..

5 hours ago, fuchsntf said:

Queen elizabeth was my queen, when Mr Phillips chose me for my schools football 2nd team,I played left-half,applauded the polical-left, I still spoke English,and rode my horse on the left.He asked me to jump up to the first team..

Mr Phillips was like a football-kop bully, so I told him to stuff it, and learned to love how to hold, protect that beautifull egg-shaped ball..Then played all over the world..listening to false bragging-rights of false-dawn football supporters & what could of been. Funny enough still followed the foxes everywhere,when nights,shifts,weather allowed. Visited all then except 4 League grounds…

Both Foxes & Tigers branded in my soul…Because of changing ball disciplines,thanks a nagging football coach, & an encouraging group of coaches in Rugby..

I’m confused 

I remember at lunch time at school we had a full sized pitch at Launde in Oadby. Several games happened at once on there . I was in goal that day when the teacher rang the bell to go in . A lad ran towards my goal as everyone filed in, i stood there as he was scythed over and the entire field shouted 'penalty'. He was just about to take it when the school captain rushed over and shoved him out of the way. It was now me vs him with half the school watching . He runs up , i see which way he's going and pull off a Buffonesqe save, the whole school cheers and the captain pats me on the back. Even the school team goalie ( whom i oddly admired ) said he thought his place was in danger. Halycon days. 

Went to Thistley Meadow in Blaby and played once against St.Peters Primary in a 6-a-side match.

There were two games played simultaneously and I was in the B team and was by far the worst player on that team.

One moment that lives with me is running clear down the left wing and losing control of a bobbling ball and bouncing the f***er with my hand.

We lost 2-1.

Got called up to the full XI once (Bench filler) but the game was called off.

Trialled for the team at Leysland High School and scored an OG. Safe to say, I didn't make it there either.

On 26/09/2022 at 15:47, syston_fox said:

Remember one session, ball was launched forward towards me in the penalty box and I just headed it back out to the half way line. Next thing I know, I'm picked for every match going forward as the PE teacher was just so happy to have someone willing to head the ball out at corners rather than ducking!  

Have a word with Brendan.  It sounds like you're just what we need!

went to guaringdon school (think thats how its spelt) in loughborough 1975ish really heavy blizzard p.e. teacher was like put yer kit on were going out to play football was freezing i remember trying to kick a ball that was covered in snow it was crazy, one lad controlled the ball on his inner thigh within minutes it was a massive black bruise,

can not imagine this being allowed these days, another time we played cobdon school away and they only had a mini medicine ball to play with every one was just toe pokin the ball around as it was the only way you could kick the ball lol, also scored a hatrick in another game against cobdon school got extra quarter of orange for that , great days back then really miss em

Edited by magoo

Organised a students vs teachers game in about year 10. Played myself up front.

Hit my own crossbar defending a corner but managed to score two.

Dickhead Dave on my team said I only scored them because I was in the right place at the right time… well obviously 

other than that I’ve always been gash at football.

At primary school, probability aged around 10, my class played another class in the school, just a lunch time thing organised between ourselves. I was the only one who actually played club soccer (it wasn't a football nation). We won 7 nil and I scored all 7.

At secondary school, in a 'soccer' lesson, the PE teacher came up to me and asked if played because he could see I had ability.

I came to the UK and was bang average. Not even that tbf. I had a few training sessions with a decent local side (Isthmian premier Google tells me) but was out of my depth. Then a couple of games in Sunday league and called it quits.

Edited by taupe

Used to play up front for primary school. From Year 3 to Year 6 scored over 30 goals a season for the Year 6 team, including scoring 7 goals in two separate matches.

At the start of Year 6 I got selected for Leicester City schoolboys, was delighted and was convinced now that I was on the path to be a professional footballer.

Two weeks later, a few days before the first training session my headmaster called me to his room to tell me that the coach for the team had decided to quit and the team wouldn't be going ahead for that year. Devastated.

Won every league and cup possible with Aylestone Park, including goals away to Rushden and Diamonds and Notts County, and got to the last 16 of the National Cup at secondary school with a team including Conrad Logan and Tomi Petrescu.

All downhill since then.

Edited by Rain King
  • Like 1

Good thread and lots of memories.

Had my best years before I got 'too small' and 'too unfit'. Spent pretty much all my team in or close to the centre circle. Thought I was Garry Parker, didn't I?

My secondary school actually had the best school team in the country (in my view). We lost 1-0 in the final at the Hawthorns. Their keeper was unbelievable. Turned out he was the starting England U18s keeper.

I got diagnosed with quite bad bronchial asthma and that was always my excuse as I faded; but it was probably just an excuse. I became 'small' for my age and not as fit and strong in age group football.

Recently got asked to coach at U11s (son plays in goal for them); purely on the back of the fact I plucked a couple of balls out of the air; killed them dead. Lovely. That was always me really. Soon as they see me run, I'm sure they'll have second thoughts. I think I've always been the sort of player that if you see for a few minutes you'd think; he's pretty good; decent ball control, can pick a pass, well organised, loves a tackle, does a lot of pointing; but after a few matches you realise I'm never quite fit enough to be in the right place and am no longer quick/strong/fit enough to properly run a game (unless our side is very much better).

I played some Maidstone Utd (alright) and Kent stuff (not so alright) and got found out at Kent level fairly majorly at age of about 16. Played with a few of my mates though and I'm surprised a couple of them never went fully pro; although plenty did go on to play non-league and one of the guys I played in teams with was Adam Birchall who went on to have a decent career in the game. Another good mate captained Maidstone Utd for a bit.

Got scouted long after at my best by Gillingham and Charlton, but they just happened to turn up to a game I scored a hattrick (I rarely scored). I hardly even started that year. Didn't bother going to the trial. Can always claim what might have been????

Biggest achievement was nabbing 2 goals; including a rare header and a sumptious curler in to the top corner in the inaugural Foxestalk O21s v U21s (as an O21). I think I speak for all O21s when I say I'm in the dark as to how we won that day and still haven't caught my breath. I think it was a 2-1 win? Still wear those exact Puma Kings. Don't make boots like they used to.

Still love the sport and have recently got my boots back on as my son has got interested. He trains twice a week now; for his club and separately at GK academy and I've started playing some Man v Fat (bit too competitive and full-blooded for my tastes). Probably prefer just kicking a ball about at the park now and hitting the top corner vs my 10 year old son in full size goals he has no chance of getting to. Top dadding.

Hope my son goes on to play school and club football for many years as I have many fond memories of it and I'm now going to whatsapp a few of my old teammates and buddies I've not seen in ages. 

Cricket was still better though. Hockey too, to an extent. 

• Like 3