Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
themightyfin

School Team - Early Football memories

I remember during one school match, one of our players and one of the opposition were battling for the ball. It kept bouncing backward and forward between them. I dashed between them and and kicked the ball as hard as I could. We played on a sloping pitch, the ball sailed down straight into the back of the net!

This was from halfway inside our own half!

During our celebration someone said "Where's their keeper" the teacher refereeing shouted "Freeman where are you?"

A hand shot up from behind a nearby hedge."Here sir" shouted their goalie Freeman, "I'm having a pee".

We all burst out laughing.

It will never been forgotten that I scored from well inside our own half.😃

5 minutes ago, taupe said:

Important that. Mark of a true class player.

Someone at Man v Fat does a video of the highlights each week. It did make me laugh that this week there were 3 highlights (we lost 2-0)

1) Their first goal. I'm on the floor; injured. Someone dead-legged me deliberately. What a pr1ck. I'm appealing to the ref.

2) Their second goal. I'm pointing. Its not immediately obvious who at. I'm jogging and half-marking someone the ball is clearly not going to.

3) Our missed penalty. I am still pointing, trying to organise against a counter attack after we inevitably miss the penalty, which of course we do.

In all 3 clips I'm completely ineffectual but if you squint a bit, I do sort of look like I know what I'm doing; just not even threatening to affect the play.

• Haha 4

Most overriding memory of playing football for my primary school was the cold. We had to get changed in a rotten wooden shed which doubled as a changing room. It was so cold your fingers were frozen and you couldn't tie your own shoelaces, but no one ever wore gloves. That was back almost 40 years ago. It makes me smile seeing footballers now playing with gloves and all sorts.

Mostly played as a right back, although I really enjoyed defending, tackling, sticking a boot in etc. I was too much of a short arse to play centre back, and I wasn’t quite quick enough to be a winger

Did occasionally played at left back and left wing as well as I was the only one who had an okay left foot

Thankfully it gave me plenty of opportunities to go through the cocky wingers with nice boots lol

Edited by moore_94

Started out as goalkeeper for Barwell junior school in the early 60’s when 10 years old. When I moved on to Secondary school – Heathfield High in Earl Shilton - found out that my competitor for the keepers jersey was Denis Longdon, who was already training with Citys junior squad, so decided I had to move on.  Took on the inside left position – midfield/striker for you young ones – emulating my hero Denis ‘The King’ Law, even though I was a Leicester fan. Captained the 2nd year team under the direction of the best teacher I ever had, John Hunting, who was linesman in the 1972 cup final. Moved on to Hinckley Grammar school where, despite attending every training session I never managed to get into the team.

Signed for Barwell Athletic at the age of 16, broke into their Leics Senior League side at 18, and was captain of their reserves at 19, a side that contained several lads that played in the Grammar school team that I was deemed not good enough for – sweet revenge there! Moved from Barwell after 10 years and joined Earl Shilton Town in the Hinckley and District league. Spent about another 10 years there before moving to Hampshire where I played for a couple of local teams, retiring at the age of 38 having played every position on the pitch.

Only played one more 11-a-side game, a Lads v Dads match back in goal, where I pulled off a couple of absolute worldy saves at the age of 58 or so, @Sol thewall Bamba will confirm this. Unfortunately in the same game I dislocated my shoulder and swore I’d never play in goal again.

Started playing walking football 10 years ago, and currently play for Winchester Walking FC, where I am their tournament keeper! We got to the last 32 of the Walking Football over 60’s national cup this year, and I’m still throwing myself around like a teenager. Football eh, it never lets you go.

• Like 1

had a great old time of it in Junior football over the years.   Played for Market Bosworth High School, winning the County Cup against Winstanley at Filbert Street.  Both those schools then went to Bosworth College and we had 14 of the county squad playing for our team and won most of the competitions we entered. 

I played for the district team as well that got the semi-final of the national cup. 

In terms of clubs, I played for Bosworth and then moved to St Nick's in Nuneaton, where we won league after league and eventually moved to the Tamworth league to get some more competition. We won that league as well. 

During that time, I played for the "pick of the league" in a German Tour, Playing against FC Koln.  - I won the Golden Boot as part of that tournament, (playing as a centre back) 

Later on, I moved on to play for Newbold Verdon Eagles.  Again, we won everything we touched in the youth leagues and then went on to join the Charnwood Sunday league, rising through the ranks winning the leagues each year before finally winning the Premier League. 

At this point I moved into Saturday football, Playing for Ellistown and Quorn before a freak injury put an end to my football career at 23.  I ended up with Spinal Surgery and a 9 month rehabilitation and have never laced the boots up again (short of 5 aside games with work or mates) 

I miss the game.  Loved playing. but I can regale the kids with all of these stories and they look at me at 18 stone and half decrepit, and think "yeah right dad".

8 hours ago, The People's Hero said:

Biggest achievement was nabbing 2 goals; including a rare header and a sumptious curler in to the top corner in the inaugural Foxestalk O21s v U21s (as an O21). I think I speak for all O21s when I say I'm in the dark as to how we won that day and still haven't caught my breath. I think it was a 2-1 win? Still wear those exact Puma Kings. Don't make boots like they used to.

Still love the sport and have recently got my boots back on as my son has got interested. He trains twice a week now; for his club and separately at GK academy and I've started playing some Man v Fat (bit too competitive and full-blooded for my tastes). Probably prefer just kicking a ball about at the park now and hitting the top corner vs my 10 year old son in full size goals he has no chance of getting to. Top dadding.

From memory my goal in one of the U21 v O21 Foxestalk games is my only ever "competitive 11 a side" goal..... think it won goal of the season when we did the FT awards. @lildave3 still claims it was a cross!!

I'm assistant coach for my son's u10 team. Purely because I offered to help one session. No skill, no ability but a willingness to be there. To be honest, one of the best things I've ever done. Very rewarding and more enjoyable watching them grind out a victory than being at the King Power. 

Recently started playing 5 a side in a competitive league. Hugely unfit, struggle to last more than 10 minutes without collapsing. Started so well with a couple of wins and getting on the score sheet but then been battered twice in a row since. All a laugh though! 

Started off playing in goal. Got told after playing in the playground that “I was too much of a good finisher” to be in goal. 

So ended up playing as a striker, played at a good level growing up. I was quick as well. Then got injured a lot. Torn ankle ligaments, ACL, numerous Hamstring injuries. Basically Michael Owen that didn’t make it lol 

I remember a junior school game where Ian Thompson beat us 12-1 or something.

I think the teachers had some sort of dispute during the last couple of years at senior.They basically refused to take charge of teams so all league’s were cancelled.We had occasional friendly’s.Massive shame as the football tended to unite the year.

9 hours ago, Samilktray said:

Back in year 9 at Wreake Valley when I was there, there used to be a 5 a side tournament between all the different form groups. Didn’t win it but i have fond memories 

We had this. One year I effectively sorted the C team from our form. We were crap, like really bad. Yet probably one of my favourite moments at school was when I scored for a consolation and we kept it a respectful 4-1. The crowd went nuts. 

Two games later, as a team we were the eventual downfall of the entire tournament as we tried an Atletico shithouse before Simeone had even the concept (some say some lad filmed it with his appalling flip phone and bumped into Diego on his summer holiday in Ibiza) and it kicked off after one too many late challenge. Not helped by an unruly crowd. 

• Haha 2

Played throughout school, there are no decent secondary schools in Western Park, so went out to the county. Was a decent footballer that never made a tackle, despite playing at centre back for the school teams. Sunday league growing up played in centre mid, and again never made a tackle, but was lucky as could pass the ball better than most until we got to adults football. We had the most awful coach, who was a lovely guy, but clueless regarding coaching and tactics. I would quite often argue and change the team around as a player. I would have hated coaching myself. Remember once playing at Enderby police station and a police dog handler let his dog out to exercise on the pitches whilst a game was taking place. We all pooed ourselves in fear and it took an age for him to get this German shepherd back.

On 26/09/2022 at 11:55, Heskey2011 said:

I was in goal for Cosby United Under 10s or 12s I think.

We got sponsored by Pizza Hut felt massive at the time, still the commercial pinnacle of my career.

I was Manager at the time - we had great support from Pizza Hut and when we won the Under 12's division we got invited to the Fosse Park restaurant to have a free meal.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, steveherbe said:

Loving reading all these stories. All I can suggest to you older guys is, try walking football. It's not all old doddery buggers trying to kick a ball, it's skilful, good exercise, and totally enjoyable. I love it, give it a go.

I play walking football with Leicester City in the community. Great bunch of blokes and get to go on the occasional organised trip to play against other community teams. Previously played at West Ham, and Norwich this season played Brentford first game of the season.

Age range 40's into the 70's.

• Like 1

Right wing - fast as a whippet

Played for school teams…. Regret that I didn’t join a Sunday team, but was a regular on Vicky Park and you’ll always find another group of lads for a kick about…. Had some epic games!

I was enthusiastically shit!  I was well used to losing heavily…

I carried on playing with work (not competitive) but, hurt my ankle a couple of years back and haven’t kicked a ball since (I miss it)

58 minutes ago, Glenny24 said:

I play walking football with Leicester City in the community. Great bunch of blokes and get to go on the occasional organised trip to play against other community teams. Previously played at West Ham, and Norwich this season played Brentford first game of the season.

Age range 40's into the 70's.

We played Bournemouth Community a couple of weeks ago, great friendly bunch of guys, although we found their pitches a little small. They gave us a tour of the Vitalty stadium as well.

On 28/09/2022 at 10:08, steveherbe said:

Started out as goalkeeper for Barwell junior school in the early 60’s when 10 years old. When I moved on to Secondary school – Heathfield High in Earl Shilton - found out that my competitor for the keepers jersey was Denis Longdon, who was already training with Citys junior squad, so decided I had to move on.  Took on the inside left position – midfield/striker for you young ones – emulating my hero Denis ‘The King’ Law, even though I was a Leicester fan. Captained the 2nd year team under the direction of the best teacher I ever had, John Hunting, who was linesman in the 1972 cup final. Moved on to Hinckley Grammar school where, despite attending every training session I never managed to get into the team.

Signed for Barwell Athletic at the age of 16, broke into their Leics Senior League side at 18, and was captain of their reserves at 19, a side that contained several lads that played in the Grammar school team that I was deemed not good enough for – sweet revenge there! Moved from Barwell after 10 years and joined Earl Shilton Town in the Hinckley and District league. Spent about another 10 years there before moving to Hampshire where I played for a couple of local teams, retiring at the age of 38 having played every position on the pitch.

Only played one more 11-a-side game, a Lads v Dads match back in goal, where I pulled off a couple of absolute worldy saves at the age of 58 or so, @Sol thewall Bamba will confirm this. Unfortunately in the same game I dislocated my shoulder and swore I’d never play in goal again.

Started playing walking football 10 years ago, and currently play for Winchester Walking FC, where I am their tournament keeper! We got to the last 32 of the Walking Football over 60’s national cup this year, and I’m still throwing myself around like a teenager. Football eh, it never lets you go.

Can confirm, better than Danny Ward!