Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Foxxed

Reasons the board haven’t sacked Brendan

20 minutes ago, Sly said:

I actually think it’s quite simple. 

The board believe we have a good enough squad to easily finish mid table and put a string of wins together. We’re not actually that far adrift points wise and could easily be out of relegation with a few wins. A new voice would give us that bounce; and they know this.

They don’t want to pay any form of compensation, as covid as hit hard. We’re struggling on the financial fair play, so are trying to keep as much liquidity within the business as possible. 

They’re waiting for another club to come in for Brendan, so we in fact get a payout. Which could then potentially allow us to spend that elsewhere on a new manager coming in. 

Alternatively …. We can’t find a viable option we like and the ones we’ve approached have turned us down. 

In bold:

1) Agreed.

2) Who?

3) Who

It’s about who the job would appeal to. We want a manager better than Brendan for less money (I’m sure we won’t be offering a like for like contract anytime soon) and that manager has a zero budget for January when the board might also accept a peanuts bid for Tielemans. 
We have a shocking lack of options in goal and on the right wing and will have to get through the season with what we have.

The picture is potentially better in June / July when several contracts are up and off the wage bill but our Job description from now til then is as appealing as being a meat slicer operative in a nudist colony. 

Just now, fazzyfox said:

It’s about who the job would appeal to. We want a manager better than Brendan for less money (I’m sure we won’t be offering a like for like contract anytime soon) and that manager has a zero budget for January when the board might also accept a peanuts bid for Tielemans. 
We have a shocking lack of options in goal and on the right wing and will have to get through the season with what we have.

The picture is potentially better in June / July when several contracts are up and off the wage bill but our Job description from now til then is as appealing as being a meat slicer operative in a nudist colony. 

So nobody wants to manage us because we’re skint?

Wasn’t @Bert saying we weren’t skint?

4 minutes ago, fazzyfox said:

For me, this season is exposing the weakness of Rodgers and the lack of football nouse from our board. It now seems like they were only in it for the money and acclaim.

• Sad 1

5 minutes ago, Chelmofox said:

Top undoubtedly rates Rodgers. A lot. From previous Brendan interviews, it feels they have a very good personal relationship. Top celebrating at the Forest game felt like a 'Rodgers Redemption' moment (maybe i'm being cynical here, but Rudkin's face told the true story). Maybe the relationship is too close. Maybe Top is too invested in the appointment, and truly believed it was something beyond just the appointment if the 1st team coach.  Maybe Top believed Brendan was the only person who could deliver his long term legacy. it did appear Brendan was given more power in the club than he should have been, and that could only have been approved by Top.

Sometimes when you believe in something too much, you want it to be true and you can't see the facts in front of you. You just want it to blindly work. Business is littered with failed and expensive products. White Elephant infrastructure projects, to failed IT systems, where cash continues to get sucked in to try and rescue the original idea, rather than meet an objective. I worked in the public sector in the 2000's and saw first the hand huge wastage in the NHS IT project (admittedly i only saw a fraction of what was there). The wrong people pulling the strings, no one wanting to listen, and cash continuously pouring in to keep the concept alive.

Sadly, Brendan is Top's white elephant project. Most managers have a shelf life, and Brendan is on borrowed time after 2 years, but i don't think Top understands that. Brendan talks a great game (or shit, if i am being honest), and i imagine Top is at an absolute loss as to why its not working now, and probably just assumes time will resolve the issues. The problem for Top, is if he can be convinced to pull the trigger, the next manager will never be as attractive to him as Brendan was. In his eyes, the next manager just won't have the credentials to deliver the long term dream. That manager will have to live with the big man not really buying in to his appointment. 

The only way i think Top can do the right thing, and reconcile that decision with himself, is for us to hit irreparable bottom.  We all know by the time that happens it will be too late, and the Forest match ruined any chance of it happening this side of the World Cup.

The most rational and well-written analysis of our current predicament that I have read on here.  

1 hour ago, Sly said:

I actually think it’s quite simple. 

The board believe we have a good enough squad to easily finish mid table and put a string of wins together. We’re not actually that far adrift points wise and could easily be out of relegation with a few wins. A new voice would give us that bounce; and they know this.

They don’t want to pay any form of compensation, as covid as hit hard. We’re struggling on the financial fair play, so are trying to keep as much liquidity within the business as possible. 

They’re waiting for another club to come in for Brendan, so we in fact get a payout. Which could then potentially allow us to spend that elsewhere on a new manager coming in. 

Alternatively …. We can’t find a viable option we like and the ones we’ve approached have turned us down. 

That wait for another club to come in for Brendon, how long do you think that is? He's box office poison no one is going to touch him in a very long time. As my mam used to say he's shit his nest. 

Edited by PAPA LAZAROU

I think the most likely reasons are Top is distracted by King Power problems, financial input restrictions from rest of family, and lack of experience for him to make the big call, Rodgers is his man who he appointed.

Financially its actually wrong to not sack him as the cost of relegation far exceeds the cost of sacking him.

If the owners are/were truly in a position of not having the cash to sack him they should be selling the club, no owner should be in a position they cant afford to sack their manager.  But I dont think thats the actual reason.  Of course they might be ideologically opposed to paying off his contract but thats different to not been able to afford to sack him.

They way top celebrated at the Forest game suggests to me its a case of he still believes in Rodgers.

Edited by Chrysalis

4 minutes ago, Les-TA-Jon said:

Other than the fact that it’s complete guesswork and conjecture as to what’s happening between Top’s ears…

Whereas you know exactly what's going on? We're all spitballing here mate. It's the most rational theory I've seen though. There is clearly a bond between Top and BR that he is reticent to break. You only had to see the affection between the two of them after the FA Cup win to know that.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tielemans63 said:

Could be that Top doesn't want to shell out on sacking Brendan if he isn't convinced the next guy coming in can definitely keep us up (if that makes sense), thus saving himself an extra £10m on top of what we'd lose from relegation anyway. 

I think it could also be an FFP thing- we must be well-****ed in that regard for Rodgers to still be here.

If we couldn't afford to pay Rodgers off, how we could afford to bring in Wout and Smithies?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chelmofox said:

Top undoubtedly rates Rodgers. A lot. From previous Brendan interviews, it feels they have a very good personal relationship. Top celebrating at the Forest game felt like a 'Rodgers Redemption' moment (maybe i'm being cynical here, but Rudkin's face told the true story). Maybe the relationship is too close. Maybe Top is too invested in the appointment, and truly believed it was something beyond just the appointment if the 1st team coach.  Maybe Top believed Brendan was the only person who could deliver his long term legacy. it did appear Brendan was given more power in the club than he should have been, and that could only have been approved by Top.

Sometimes when you believe in something too much, you want it to be true and you can't see the facts in front of you. You just want it to blindly work. Business is littered with failed and expensive products. White Elephant infrastructure projects, to failed IT systems, where cash continues to get sucked in to try and rescue the original idea, rather than meet an objective. I worked in the public sector in the 2000's and saw first the hand huge wastage in the NHS IT project (admittedly i only saw a fraction of what was there). The wrong people pulling the strings, no one wanting to listen, and cash continuously pouring in to keep the concept alive.

Sadly, Brendan is Top's white elephant project. Most managers have a shelf life, and Brendan is on borrowed time after 2 years, but i don't think Top understands that. Brendan talks a great game (or shit, if i am being honest), and i imagine Top is at an absolute loss as to why its not working now, and probably just assumes time will resolve the issues. The problem for Top, is if he can be convinced to pull the trigger, the next manager will never be as attractive to him as Brendan was. In his eyes, the next manager just won't have the credentials to deliver the long term dream. That manager will have to live with the big man not really buying in to his appointment. 

The only way i think Top can do the right thing, and reconcile that decision with himself, is for us to hit irreparable bottom.  We all know by the time that happens it will be too late, and the Forest match ruined any chance of it happening this side of the World Cup.

I did put "unrequited love" as my last bullet point to be fair. But very nicely put.

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, SouthStandUpperTier said:

Whereas you know exactly what's going on? We're all spitballing here mate. It's the most rational theory I've seen though. There is clearly a bond between Top and BR that he is reticent to break. You only had to see the affection between the two of them after the FA Cup win to know that.

Don’t remember where I put forward my idea of what was going on? 

2 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

For the millionth and one time it's not £10m unless we pay the new manager £10m or their salary for the rest of the season and compensation equates to that.

I will respond to every post that repeats this untruth 😂😂😂

Aren't you a mod? Can't you pin this to the top of the page. Its like the whole thing throughout the summer people asking why we haven't signed anyone. You can keep repeating the same facts but unfortunately a small minority of people choose not to listen. It's like the small minority of Brendan in folk! Proper odd balls! 

12 minutes ago, SouthStandUpperTier said:

Please do come back and tell us when you have one.

Just not sure what me having or not having an alternate version of events has to do with anything? 

I saw the previous comment and simply said it was all conjecture. Me not having an alternative doesn’t invalidate that. 

1 minute ago, Les-TA-Jon said:

Just not sure what me having or not having an alternate version of events has to do with anything? 

I saw the previous comment and simply said it was all conjecture. Me not having an alternative doesn’t invalidate that. 

Of course it's all conjecture. Like you say, nobody really knows what's going on in Top's head but the man himself. This is a forum for opinions though. And @Chelmofox's assessment makes the most sense to me though, as I too believe that Top likes/rates Brendan and wants to give him every chance to turn it around. And that may end up being our downfall. You may not agree. That's fine.