Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Sly

How would you set us up?

Theoretically, Rodgers is given the boot and the board turns to you.

We’re rooted to the bottom

of the league and you’ve been given the position as interim head coach until the end of the season. 

How do you set us up? 

12 minutes ago, Dan LCFC said:

4-3-1-2 until we've got better wide options. Make us hard to play through and get more of our better players onto the pitch. Iversen obviously comes in. Same back four albeit they actually have a degree of protection all of a sudden. I'm giving Ndidi another go, the likes of Soumare, Praet, Tielemans, KDH can fight for the other midfield spots either side of him, KDH on the left preferably. Maddison back in a number 10. Two strikers. Barnes can occasionally play in that front two as well. We did it against Liverpool, Lookman came on in that position and scored.

It's not necessarily the long term solution but I'm 90% sure it's better than this absolute shambles. I mean we're 100% improved just by dropping a League One level goalkeeper.

Difficult to argue against that.

1 hour ago, Dan LCFC said:

4-3-1-2 until we've got better wide options. Make us hard to play through and get more of our better players onto the pitch. Iversen obviously comes in. Same back four albeit they actually have a degree of protection all of a sudden. I'm giving Ndidi another go, the likes of Soumare, Praet, Tielemans, KDH can fight for the other midfield spots either side of him, KDH on the left preferably. Maddison back in a number 10. Two strikers. Barnes can occasionally play in that front two as well. We did it against Liverpool, Lookman came on in that position and scored.

It's not necessarily the long term solution but I'm 90% sure it's better than this absolute shambles. I mean we're 100% improved just by dropping a League One level goalkeeper.

If wilf is fit then he is picked by rodgers - the issue is that he has way too much to ground to cover 

1 hour ago, Dan LCFC said:

Agree, you have to either do this or bring in either Perez or Albrighton to protect the right back if we need to play wingers due to opposition shape. But going 4312/442 diamond is preferable for me. 

• Like 1

Get us a manager who actually knows how to use a 3/5 at the back system and use a 3412 as @Finnegan did above

Iversen

Faes, Evans, Cags

Castagne, Tielemans, Ndidi, Justin

Maddison

Iheanacho, Daka

IF we lost Maddison in Jan you could then look to incorporate Barnes into a 343 with Daka centre and Iheanacho right (in 20/21 when Nacho smashed it he mainly covered the area you would kind of expect to see from a right sided attacking mid / right winger coming inside)

Iversen

Faes, Evans, Cags

Castagne, Tielemans, Ndidi, Justin

Iheanacho, Daka, Barnes

Edited by moore_94
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Finnegan said:

Iversen*

Faes, Evans, Cags

Castagne**, Tielemans, Ndidi, Justin

Maddison

Iheanacho, Daka

Main training focus would be on fitness and the shape in transition. Wouldn't stop until we were the fittest, statistically hardest working team in the league. 

Tactically I guess something akin to Conte at his best, who would probably be the ideal fantasy manager to come and manage a squad lacking the width we do. 

Harshest on Barnes and Dewsbury-Hall but sacrifices have to be made and our best players need to be on the pitch in their best roles. To play Barnes, you have to play either someone rubbish or out of position on the opposite side which cripples either our attacking or defensive shape. And KDH is only one of our best midfielders if you play Madders out of position.

Both get used more or less every game as substitutes, the culture around which I think is due a change in the Premier League with the introduction of five subs. The rugby concept of "starters" and "finishers" destigmatising being on the bench needs to be more common. 

*I mean, he could be equally shit but would definitely give him a chance. 

**Ideally a fit Ricardo but yknow. 

This would be my ideal 11 with the players we currently have. 

I think defensively we would be solid and all 3 CB's can actually pass so it makes closing down trickier for opponents whereas before they would just press Amartey constantly.

With the current crop available, I'd like to see us experiment with:

Iversen

Soyuncu, Faes, Evans,

Albrighton Tielemans K D-H Castagne

Maddison

Daka, Barnes,

I've always said Soyuncu struggles in a three, but I'd like to see if that's still the case with Faes thrown into the mix

• Like 1

The side picks itself..................

Madison is a 10 and plays best there + roams regardless

*Vardy and Iheanacho starting worked, Vardy in his 36th needs help and can't fetch the ball (* Daka if not)

Ward has got splinters for 4 years, Dane Dan has been successfully in the loan coalface

Evans is 35 and Faes is cutting his teeth, 10 goals in 2 games, Forest doesn't count as so bad. A 3rd player would help

Our FBs bomb forward and leave our venerable CBs exposed, a 3rd CB would facilitate this

We are stacked with FBs/WBs and CBs

Our FBs/WBs are far better wingers than the grossly over rated Barnes. Players are obsessed with stats, his constructive and creative stats are poor

Why play a high FB/WB when Barnes supposed to be doing the job. Why job share?

Why compromise the set up regardless of cost to accommodate our only 'winger??' who runs into walls, only passes as a condition he gets the ball back and can not defend or even try. 

3 hours ago, Finnegan said:

Iversen*

Faes, Evans, Cags

Castagne**, Tielemans, Ndidi, Justin

Maddison

Iheanacho, Daka

Main training focus would be on fitness and the shape in transition. Wouldn't stop until we were the fittest, statistically hardest working team in the league. 

Tactically I guess something akin to Conte at his best, who would probably be the ideal fantasy manager to come and manage a squad lacking the width we do. 

Harshest on Barnes and Dewsbury-Hall but sacrifices have to be made and our best players need to be on the pitch in their best roles. To play Barnes, you have to play either someone rubbish or out of position on the opposite side which cripples either our attacking or defensive shape. And KDH is only one of our best midfielders if you play Madders out of position.

Both get used more or less every game as substitutes, the culture around which I think is due a change in the Premier League with the introduction of five subs. The rugby concept of "starters" and "finishers" destigmatising being on the bench needs to be more common. 

*I mean, he could be equally shit but would definitely give him a chance. 

**Ideally a fit Ricardo but yknow. 

The professional statisticians assessment is that we are the least fit side and least productive re energy in the premiership- Source = a statistician who'does it for a living

This may not stack up with the tabloids but it is fact

Agree with your points although worry a bit about Tielemans, and more so Ndidi, although they are clearly under performing due to BR

3 minutes ago, Bob Hazels shorts said:

although worry a bit about Tielemans, and more so Ndidi, although they are clearly under performing due to BR

Think Tielemans has been pretty good this year to be honest, for me the only people denying that are the ones that have a personal issue with him regarding his contract/transfer situation. 

He's comfortably our best "central" midfielder if you make a distinction there between that and an "attacking" one (Maddison.)

And Ndidi is still our best defensive midfielder. I'd personally have him just shielding the back three, even dropping in to make it a four when the wing backs are high up the pitch, allowing Faes and Cags to move out to cover the wide areas as auxiliary full backs in the counter defensive phase. 

Surrounded by Faes, Soyuncu, Evans, Tielemans, Castagne, Justin and Maddison there should never be a situation where Ndidi is either expected or needed to advance the ball himself. 

He's by far our least technically proficient outfield player and he should be given the freedom to do his best work breaking up play without the expectation of conforming to the philosophies of Total Football so that a head coach with problematic hubris can excite himself over how well he's perceived to have "improved" Wilfred. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Sly said:

Theoretically, Rodgers is given the boot and the board turns to you.

We’re rooted to the bottom

of the league and you’ve been given the position as interim head coach until the end of the season. 

How do you set us up? 

Same as now, formation isn’t a problem. It’s how we defend as a team.

Iverson in for the Welsh traffic cone.

A deeper defensive line for me with 3 CB from the 4 available. Faes/Evans/Soyuncu/Vesty

Justin/Thomas/Castagne/Marc A

as Wing back options. 

Runners and tacklers in midfield to offer protection to the defence. 3 from: KDH/Praet/Mendy/Ndidi/Bouba

Maddison right up behind a central striker where he can affect play most. 

I would literally freeze Youri out of the squad ala Soyuncu at the min and force him out in Jan as he is playing us for fools. 

Any transfer revenue we may raise in Jan I would spend on a  new GK if Iverson struggles and a striker who is physical and can hold the ball up so we Do have the option to play long if required. 

• Like 2

Let's play the system we've actually had most success with. I have no idea why the clown in charge has us playing 433 when we have never played well using this. You have to be a top top team to make a success of 433 imo.

So 4231:

Iverson

Justin

Evans

Faes

Castagne

Ndidi

Tielemans

Perez/Albrighton

Maddison

Barnes

Vardy/Daka