Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Muzzy_no7

Leeds Pre-Match Thread

Sorry @filbertway but your argument is entirely based on your own assumptions such as "the win against a poor Forest has convinced enough people that Rodgers is the man for the job". You are assuming that most people wanted him gone before this game - they clearly did not.

Or that "fans are in a Malaise" when the evidence suggests they simply do not share your opinion (and mine incidentally) and want him to stay or dont care either way.

You also assume that us losing again = massive protests = Top losing faith = Top sacking Rodgers - unlikely in the extreme.

Finally you say you hope we beat Everton and West ham away!

As if away performances have no effect!

I think most situations are better kept simple, l want my team to stay up/succeed and the simplest way for that to happen is for us to win games.

Clearly us losing is not working as a ploy to sack Rodgers or he'd be gone by now.

So imo wishing for us to lose is not something anyone who describes themselves as a fan should be doing.

Even here on a forum which is an outlier of Rodgers out opinion most want us to win!

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, J. James said:

Sorry @filbertway but your argument is entirely based on your own assumptions such as "the win against a poor Forest has convinced enough people that Rodgers is the man for the job". You are assuming that most people wanted him gone before this game - they clearly did not.

Or that "fans are in a Malaise" when the evidence suggests they simply do not share your opinion (and mine incidentally) and want him to stay or dont care either way.

You also assume that us losing again = massive protests = Top losing faith = Top sacking Rodgers - unlikely in the extreme.

I think most situations are better kept simple, l want my team to stay up/succeed and the simplest way for that to happen is for us to win games.

Clearly us losing is not working as a ploy to sack Rodgers or he'd be gone by now.

So imo wishing for us to lose is not something anyone who describes themselves as a fan should be doing.

Even here on a forum which is an outlier of Rodgers out opinion most want us to win!

11 minutes ago, J. James said:

Can't be arsed to keep repeating myself in a minority. I did enough of that last season lol

If we end the season in the league and Rodgers absolutely nowhere near our club, that's all I'm bothered about.

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, Gamble92 said:

You support Leicester. No one manager or player. We are bigger than any one person. I don't get the mentality of wanting us to lose. Losing Thursday could quite easily be the difference between going down or not now. I can't imagine ever wanting us to do anything other than win. 

...you really cannot separate the two!!!

The manager sets the mental and tactical agenda, his negativity impacts the whole club, we try to support the players instead of the manager, and you can see why a supporter would take a defeat for what he sees as a bigger cause.

If you were to take a poll where the question was "would you take a defeat at Leeds to get rid of Rodgers" and the polling would be in the 90 percentile, in the affirmative!!

57 minutes ago, filbertway said:

The fans are in a malaise it sounds to me. If the fans actually showed some displeasure at the games then I'd happily back the players for 90. If the only way to get the general crowd on Rodgers back is for us to be losing (which it seems to be the case from what I'm seeing and hearing) then that's something I'm willing to see.

Unfortunately the average match going fan is reactive and fickle and will only react to what they're seeing. Fair play to pockets of fans for showing their displeasure after the Palace game, but it's clearly not enough.

Losing away is pointless as already shown. So I hope we go and turn over Everton and West Ham :D

I dno man. The longer he's here, the greater the chance of relegation. The longer we continue to pick up points at a rate of 0.5-1 a game the longer. For me at least it's hard to want to see that continue for the pleasure of a short term fix.

Appreciate you not resorting to personal abuse (other than saying I should support Forest ;) haha) It's not an opinion that gives me any joy, but it's how I feel and I don't think I can be budged unless I see evidence of it happening and then not working. I wanted the Forest win for the short term reason and now it just feels like it's prolonged the suffering.

Yeah we won't see eye to eye but it's okay, I hope we win and hope we maintain it and steer clear of the drop, reinforce in January regardless of who is in charge.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, StanSP said:

Interesting how no player is bigger than the club when it comes to things like transfers, but one man's actions suddenly are big enough to stop a fan going to a game.

He's arguably been made bigger than the club though.

If we truly can't afford to sack him or for whatever reason he is still here - he's been made bigger than the club.

4 minutes ago, Matt said:

He's arguably been made bigger than the club though.

If we truly can't afford to sack him or for whatever reason he is still here - he's been made bigger than the club.

He's been made it by the club. But that's not what I'm saying. 

Fans refusing to go because of Rodgers. Fans therefore also making him bigger than the club by willing the club to lose. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, sacreblueits442 said:

If you were to take a poll where the question was "would you take a defeat at Leeds to get rid of Rodgers" and the polling would be in the 90 percentile, in the affirmative!!

I suggest making this poll actually and testing the theory. I personally don't think it would be close to 90%. Support for the manager and our hopes change on a whim because it's still early days this season. Half way through / WC and January will be a better reflection of where we actually end up, though it's pretty fair to say we're not finishing in the top half. That's more a less a certain.

The reason why I say 90% won't, is because we need 3 points, and it's a winnable game at home. That's what we and the fans want regardless of the manager.

To add to that sacking Rodgers doesn't magically win games and keep you up. I already stated the last time we got relegated it was with three perm managers in the season. The market is slim for us, and it is because of our position, and our absolutely shocking lack of summer and winter 2021 spending. For example, there's no evidence to suggest that Sean Dyche managing us will keep us in the Premier League, and If so, then what. There's also no evidence that... say, tell him we want attractive attacking football still, we know he probably can adapt but what basis do we have? Budget is no excuse, Burnley are now playing completely differently under Kompany. What about Brentford, Rodgers' Swansea that stayed up despite the odds playing attacking football. If we are to sack Rodgers, the incoming manager won't be far from the current state. It will be an attacking possession manager, and with what's available and likely to come, how many of them are actually going to come here and improve us. The point is we don't know what could happen and I imagine that's one of the strongest reasons why the owners have kept Rodgers on thus far. 

Do the poll

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, RedSoxUK said:

The point is we don't know what could happen and I imagine that's one of the strongest reasons why the owners have kept Rodgers on thus far. 

... I would believe that a new manager coming in, even Stowell as an interim would turn these performances round!!!

Let's not be looking at Dyche, he is not someone that I would look to be coming here. 

Yes it can go wrong if you make the change, that does not stop you from trying to move this club forward, it is the reason why clubs take the options that they do. We chose to do it after Puel and after Ranieri,  it works out sometimes, you can't keep living in fear.

53 minutes ago, StanSP said:

He's been made it by the club. But that's not what I'm saying. 

Fans refusing to go because of Rodgers. Fans therefore also making him bigger than the club by willing the club to lose. 

I've said before I can deal with us being shit, I go to football as it's my hobby, my entertainment, my escapism, I can't deal with being bored out of my mind as I have been for 2 years, I can't deal with playing a nonsense style, a 'brand' (Blughhhh) of football I cannot get behind, the fact the club have allowed him to overstay his welcome by 18 month - 2 years.

That is why fans are refusing to go, because of the club making or allowing him to be bigger than the club, because of Rodgers.

Edited by Matt

Press conference for this will be a laugh. He’ll probably tell us we’re in for a tough night in front of a hostile Elland Road crowd made doubly hard because Don Revie knows how to set a team up. 

Edited by Manini
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Manini said:

Press conference for this will be a laugh. He’ll probably tell us we’re in for a tough night in front of a hostile Elland Road crowd made doubly harder because Don Revie knows how to set a team up. 

“Elland Road doesn’t even have A/C, the lads can’t be expected to perform in these sweltering conditions”

1C7C2A67-77D4-4D69-BB2C-091E1B0C7F09.jpeg

13 minutes ago, FoxesWalk said:

“Elland Road doesn’t even have A/C, the lads can’t be expected to perform in these sweltering conditions”

1C7C2A67-77D4-4D69-BB2C-091E1B0C7F09.jpeg

“The games at home Brendan?”

”….that’s what I said….don’t question my salary!” 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Matt said:

I've said before I can deal with us being shit, I go to football as it's my hobby, my entertainment, my escapism, I can't deal with being bored out of my mind as I have been for 2 years, I can't deal with playing a nonsense style, a 'brand' (Blughhhh) of football I cannot get behind, the fact the club have allowed him to overstay his welcome by 18 month - 2 years.

That is why fans are refusing to go, because of the club making or allowing him to be bigger than the club, because of Rodgers.

You've had issues with him for a long, long while and I used to struggle to understand how you'd gotten so disillusioned but I do now get it. Enjoyment from football is subjective, its often what gets lost when trying to quantify it and can leave many wondering if true enjoyment is actually achievable over a sustained period. 

The qualities that tend to be common ground for most though is fight, its not winning for winnings sake. The lines are very blurred and not winning and still being proud is difficult to achieve long term but its why in the modern era I think fans need regular change to their club if its not working, especially on the managerial side. There's nothing like the hope and buzz of a new era and/or new players.

I'd enjoy football far more if managers weren't allowed to sign contracts at clubs for longer than 2 years at a time. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sacreblueits442 said:

... I would believe that a new manager coming in, even Stowell as an interim would turn these performances round!!!

Let's not be looking at Dyche, he is not someone that I would look to be coming here. 

Yes it can go wrong if you make the change, that does not stop you from trying to move this club forward, it is the reason why clubs take the options that they do. We chose to do it after Puel and after Ranieri,  it works out sometimes, you can't keep living in fear.

Could be, depending on the man, I agree.

But the owners are risk averse, the spending this window is an example of it. Just think behind the scenes they've sanctioned the sale of Kasper and Rodgers likely expected a replacement and was told he'll be having Ward, and now with this awful xgc it's easy to point out, well... Perhaps we should have bought in a Premier League standard goalkeeper in hmmmmmmm. So you can see how the board can easily make the jump to 'we caused that', I know it runs a LOT deeper - we've thrown away a lot of points and thats on the team defending as a whole.

It's well documented we will possibly get a bounce. So is it worth the possible bounce? Again depends on the man, because it's also well documented you revert to form. We need to be cautious in this position and I expect a lot of the decisions are dependent on player morale and belief in the manager.

• Like 1

I thought Tielemans was an absolute disgrace vs Palace. Given they had absolutely no interest in pressing, he was so sloppy in possession, he's usually at his best when teams back off him. A real smack in the gob to the rest of the squad who get overlooked to be stand in captain to a player who cannot wait to leave us on a free in the summer.

I'd drop him for Thursday. I really want Braybrooke to be given a go but imagine Mendy and Braybrooke as a midfield pairing 😂😂😂😂

• Like 2

I dread fixtures. I despair watching matches. And Top gives Brendan two thumbs irrespective of results. So I’m looking forward to this match against Leeds, an exciting if inconsistent side, where we’ll hopefully go a goal up only to see Brendan implement his death by football approach onto the opponents only for it to backfire on us gifting Leeds the winner, at which point we’ll get to listen to Brendan’s increasingly creative and surreal excuses, shifting blame onto players and even nature itself, and once the complaints and grumbles have settled down the reassuring constant in this universe, Top’s unwavering belief in Brendan, will tighten around our necks once more. 3 - 0. Barnes hat-trick.

So sad when we are that desperate for change that some of us would see us cut our own throats to push Rogers out. These are tough times indeed.

if Top does axe Rogers I reckon the players will be boosted (temporarily) by the change and might even play well and be organized and resolute for a few games. Surely whoever takes over part time can do a decent job in the interim. Problem is we are fast running out of ‘winnable’ games.

pretty soon we will be classing man city a must win game!

47 minutes ago, RedSoxUK said:

Could be, depending on the man, I agree.

But the owners are risk averse, the spending this window is an example of it. Just think behind the scenes they've sanctioned the sale of Kasper and Rodgers likely expected a replacement and was told he'll be having Ward, and now with this awful xgc it's easy to point out, well... Perhaps we should have bought in a Premier League standard goalkeeper in hmmmmmmm. So you can see how the board can easily make the jump to 'we caused that', I know it runs a LOT deeper - we've thrown away a lot of points and thats on the team defending as a whole.

It's well documented we will possibly get a bounce. So is it worth the possible bounce? Again depends on the man, because it's also well documented you revert to form. We need to be cautious in this position and I expect a lot of the decisions are dependent on player morale and belief in the manager.

....the Kasper situation was never meant to pan out in that fashion!!!

Kasper had Top's ear, and any problems in the team regarding the relationship with the manager would have been brought to Top's attention. This time Top did not go with Kasper and he took the opportunity to go out the back door, there is no way that they would have discussed and arranged Kasper's leaving. Danny Ward would have been very much part of Rodger's plan to replace him. You do not stop a consecutive run of games at 149 with one more for the 150, and yet Rodgers did, and gave Ward the game. What difference would one more game have made, it wasn't as if Ward was due a bonus if he played, it was a ridiculous decision, just a way for Rodgers to flex his muscle. It goes to show just how much Top has bought into Rodgers.

The morale is very much on the ground and most of the players have stopped believing in Rodgers, he wanted the refresh for new blood to listen to his ideas because existing players no longer want to listen to what he is saying.

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, cruzFOX said:

So sad when we are that desperate for change that some of us would see us cut our own throats to push Rogers out. These are tough times indeed.

if Top does axe Rogers I reckon the players will be boosted (temporarily) by the change and might even play well and be organized and resolute for a few games. Surely whoever takes over part time can do a decent job in the interim. Problem is we are fast running out of ‘winnable’ games.

pretty soon we will be classing man city a must win game!

We need to improve markedly if we’re going to stay up. There’s absolutely nothing to indicate we’re improving. Plodding along hoping we win the odd game with the same manager is cutting our throats. Slowly.

3 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

I'd enjoy football far more if managers weren't allowed to sign contracts at clubs for longer than 2 years at a time. 

Things seem to run on 3-year cycles atm, so that's what I'd give (in total) - and is why BR's time should have really been up without any other possibility of a refresh this season.

Edited by PhillippaT