Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
John Godwin

Iheanacho

7 minutes ago, volpeazzurro said:

Possibly, but, if playing a 433 formation, the two outer players don't necessarily have to be 'flying wingers' getting chalk on their boots, different teams have used the formation in different ways. 

If Iheanacho or any other striker either drops deep as you put it or isn't suited to a lone striker role, why persist with that role? Why not play a system which best suits the talents of the players you've actually got?

Daka for example has played on the right of a three before at Salzburg successfully. 

Didn't Iheanacho also get his 12 goals in less than half a season with Vardy to his left?

Couldn't a front three of Vardy, Iheanacho and Daka have been a frightening sight for many a Premiership defence? If the football you're serving up is dire and you're losing games anyway, wouldn't it have been worth a try rather than merely rinse and repeat what is failing on a regular 18 month basis?

Undoubtedly our three new players have thankfully had a very positive effect and long may it continue, however, haven't Mendy and Iheanacho, two internationals been there all along? Why haven't they been utilised earlier?

Thankfully the tippy tappy side to side backwards turgid shit show seems to have been somewhat halted for the last couple of games which was never a help to a lone striker whoever played it. By the time the ball eventually made it's to the halfway line, the opposition defence had time to retreat with a fag on to deny Vardy any space to run into!

Of course, Rodgers will only site the new players and his skills as an elite manager as reasons for any improvement. 

We have seen Vardy left and he is unsurprisingly not as an useful there as Barnes, just as we have seen Daka on the right, and he too is not as effective as Tete if earlier signs are indeed true, but theoretically yes, a similar plan with these players could have worked, but seems not to work, at least in the eyes of Brendan and his team.  We do not need to draw every single conclusion from a match day team, as much more happens out of our sight, so we can treat the club with a little more respect and belief than that, but of course we have no requirement to do so.

And of course Rodgers will state that the new players are the reason for the turnaround and early signs are he is correct to do so.  :dunno:

Every manager will tell you that new players bring a fresh impetus anyway

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Unabomber said:

I don’t think there are many players that could’ve scored his goal yesterday. The way he held on to it for so long and then still scored was mad. He is a cool player.

You hardly ever see a goal like that scored in the prem because of the pace the game is played at and how quick defenders close down but in fairness he was up against Dier who is as perfectly named as it’s possible to be 

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, honeybradger said:

It's good that Rodgers has finally given Iheanacho a spot in the first XI and it is commendable to accept when you're wrong and make a change. 

Let's not re write history and try and pretend that it was not a mistake to underplay one of our best players for 1.5 seasons after he won us a trophy. For those who say it was down to the system, iheanacho was underplayed not only in the league but in European and national cup competition as well. When you have this quality and the manager doesnt give you a proper run against weak opposition it's clearly not about a system but simply unfair treatment.

Iheanacho is an enigma. We can't rewrite history and pretend he wasn't often awful in his time here. He has played exceptionally well the last two games, and I will argue it is the system, not unfair treatment. People forget it was Rodgers that brought Iheanacho in from the cold after he had been frozen out by Puel.

But at the same time, there were reasons he was frozen out.

It wasn't too long ago that I -- who generally am not a screamer -- was screaming "Get the fc-k onside!" almost every single game Iheanacho played. If he didn't get a decision, he would sit on the ground with his arms in the air, even after we regained possession, meaning our attack was stalled until he got up and actually got onside. His first touch was often atrocious (it is amazing now), and his decision making was suspect. And he missed so many sitters that most people on this forum were calling for his head.

But under the present system, where he can drop back and let the wingers move forward, he is thriving. This makes me happy. I want our players to play well and the club to succeed. But I am not sure Iheanacho suffered from unfair treatment under the manager in the past.

4 hours ago, Unabomber said:

I don’t think there are many players that could’ve scored his goal yesterday. The way he held on to it for so long and then still scored was mad. He is a cool player.

Reminiscent of mahrez v Chelsea - moves dier back and forth to get him to reveal that far post for the curling shot. 

kel has been hopeless as a lone striker but the way we’ve played last two games, he hasn’t looked isolated. if we revert to playing it long (not on transition) then he’ll struggle 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MarriedaLeicesterGirl said:

Iheanacho is an enigma. We can't rewrite history and pretend he wasn't often awful in his time here. He has played exceptionally well the last two games, and I will argue it is the system, not unfair treatment. People forget it was Rodgers that brought Iheanacho in from the cold after he had been frozen out by Puel.

But at the same time, there were reasons he was frozen out.

It wasn't too long ago that I -- who generally am not a screamer -- was screaming "Get the fc-k onside!" almost every single game Iheanacho played. If he didn't get a decision, he would sit on the ground with his arms in the air, even after we regained possession, meaning our attack was stalled until he got up and actually got onside. His first touch was often atrocious (it is amazing now), and his decision making was suspect. And he missed so many sitters that most people on this forum were calling for his head.

But under the present system, where he can drop back and let the wingers move forward, he is thriving. This makes me happy. I want our players to play well and the club to succeed. But I am not sure Iheanacho suffered from unfair treatment under the manager in the past.

That was 3 years ago and before. He has been brilliant since the Everton game. No reason he should not have been given more minutes.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Corky said:

He's linked well with Barnes before, it was an excuse not to play him more.

Rodgers has never trusted him and dropped him any chance he thought he could get away with it. 

We’ll see what happens when Kel next has a bit of a stinker. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Finnegan said:

How can his record possibly be poor when those are his stats per 90? That literally doesn't make any sense. 

That ranks him as THE all time leading G+A/90 player from outside the Greedy Six in history. 

Agree with your point on it being a good record. Although, just to point out it technically doesn't does it really? He bagged a few for Man City.

• Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, honeybradger said:

"Played exceptionally well for 2 games" "he is an enigma". You state these claims like they are an undeniable reality when there is nothing to back them up. How can an enigma have one of the best contributions per minute in the league whilst not taking penalties?

I recommend you consider whether these claims you make actually come from actually watching and analysing iheanacho or whether you allowed the many negative opinions that were posted on him here when he was struggling early on cloud your judgement. 

I think that those that dont like iheanacho on here only see what they want to see, which is a poor player. If you look at his numbers it is clear that that is untrue. Hopefully those that have been overly harsh on iheanacho over the years begin to question their own judgement as there is clearly a large gap between their perception of the game and the actual truth of it.

I wonder how high he would be if we excluded penalties. Have a feeling he would be top 3.

1 hour ago, Tommy Fresh said:

Agree with your point on it being a good record. Although, just to point out it technically doesn't does it really? He bagged a few for Man City.

That strikes me as pretty pedantic tbf. 

Relatively few appearances for them let's be honest. 

3 hours ago, Dames said:

Rodgers has never trusted him and dropped him any chance he thought he could get away with it. 

We’ll see what happens when Kel next has a bit of a stinker. 

Bit easier to do that when you had Vardy scoring goals and getting 15 plus goals a season and looking sharp.

I'd be surprised if Kel not the main man until the end of the season now.

Like you sat it's going to be interesting.