Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
John Godwin

Iheanacho

The iheanacho that I love is the one who comes deep with his back to goal and acts as a link up to other players... or the one who turns on the ball in those spaces and runs at defenders. 

I did think that we would see that version under Maresca, but it seems we play him on the last man and as the first point of the press. 

I don't think that suits his game and I definitely think we can now all state that he operates best as a two, or at least when others are close to him for him to feed balls into. 

Our new system has our wingers staying wide and our midfielders arriving later into the box.

Makes Iheanacho pretty ineffective I think. 

It's a shame. but I think all 3 of our current strikers are a bit redundant in this system. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Scotch said:

I'm MASSIVELY confused by this comment. 

He's been coming deep to receive the ball all season. That's exactly how he has been deployed. Nowhere near playing off the last defender. 

Last night's game was no different. The vast majority of the times he received the ball he was in the centre circle with the wingers and 8s going beyond him and he was utterly dreadful at it... the ball was bouncing off him, he was misplacing passes and being caught in possession. 

There is no doubt that it was just a bad game and that's what he's usually best at but he has been played EXACTLY to his strengths this season and I'm flabbergasted that anyone sees it any differently.

Maybe you are right and I'm making excuses for him in my head.... I've just compared his heatmap for this season to vardys and you can see kel is much deeper. 

Vardy hasn't looked great either mind. 

• Like 1

I found his reaction to the ball hitting the net from the penalty, a little bizarre. I just don't see the passion in the way he plays, and if a club came along whikst the transfer window was open, he would leave in an instant.

There is a reason why he is still here, he is clearly not that good, and he believes he should be playing at a higher level. Sadly for Kelechi, his poor performances so far this season suggest otherwise.

He is indeed a confidence player, but we have been here before, and that fills me with dread for the potentially barren months ahead for a player that is not able to adapt to an ever-changing system. Am not impressed with his current overall standard of play.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, honeybradger said:

He was one of the players who's mind changed about leaving after Maresca came in wasnt he?

Quite possibly. I'm not sure if that was ever officially confirmed. I like Iheanacho but I've not been massively impressed with him this season - he's clearly behind Vardy in the pecking order at the moment. Hopefully he'll improve.

Iheanacho is inconsistent.    Posters said he was guaranteed 20 even 30 goals in the Championship.   It was possible but unlikely. 

He will have good moments, a few brilliant moments, but there is a reason why many managers have not seen him as first choice.

His assist to the assist after his groin went was brilliant. 

• Like 1

I had big hopes for Nacho this season but he’s been so unimpressive. Tonight he could have slipped in McAteer 3 or so times in the first half but couldn’t see the pass.

Looks slow, struggling to hold up ball and minimal movement. Needs a kick up the backside and not make next squad.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, majaco said:

Iheanacho is inconsistent.    Posters said he was guaranteed 20 even 30 goals in the Championship.   It was possible but unlikely. 

He will have good moments, a few brilliant moments, but there is a reason why many managers have not seen him as first choice.

His assist to the assist after his groin went was brilliant. 

Problem is he is pretty consistent right now. As far as i am concerned that is it - he should be nowhere near the team for a while. Daka looked rusty as fvk but actually showed some half decent movement cand reated a chance or 2. With Nacho its either bouncing off him or he is running into walls. 

• Like 1