Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
John Godwin

Iheanacho

15 minutes ago, shailen said:

He's a link player and he was better with Maddison and Barnes in the team as they were good at the give and go. Now his game is stifled as we haven't got those players in the team anymore so he looks isolated in our current set up. 

Excuses excuses. Others have adapted and embraced the system. Although not perfect, Vardy has adapted to this much better than kels . Mavadidi can score and assist 1 in a games, and people are willing to criticise him heavily. Kels is doing nothing and the excuses are pouring in. The case everyone was making is that he is perfect for this system. He is anything but. 

Time for a spell out of the first team until he works out a way forward. Daka appears to be back in the frame, although it’s clearly going to take him time to adjust as well. 

• Like 2

Just now, James_lcfc said:

Still think he’s our best option in that position at the moment.

Definitely needs to improve though.

Can you give some reason for this opinion? Nothing we have seen from Kel in this new system suggests this is true unfortunately. (I was sure he would excel in it)

Why does he get more time? He has had lots of starts, everyone else seems to be getting on with it.

Is he just one dimensional?

I think, in the current system, he’d genuinely be better as one of the 8s. I love Kel, shame to see him struggling a wee bit. Hope he comes good. In the right system I still firmly believe he’d get 20 goals in the Prem. 

Edited by RumbleFox
  • Like 1

Just now, RumbleFox said:

I think, in the current system, he’d genuinely be better as one of the 8s. I love Kel, shame to see him struggling a wee bit. Hope he comes good. In the right system I still firmly believe he’s get 20 goals in the Prem. 

We all hope he comes good, was personally certain he would excel, but we cannot keep a spot for him on expectation alone, and to be honest he has looked much lesser than others in this system - coupled to this he is approaching the end of contract, its time to give time to others.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dahnsouff said:

Can you give some reason for this opinion? Nothing we have seen from Kel in this new system suggests this is true unfortunately. (I was sure he would excel in it)

Why does he get more time? He has had lots of starts, everyone else seems to be getting on with it.

Is he just one dimensional?

Sure.

I just think he's the best footballer out of the three strikers we have (not including Cannon). I suppose I'm basing this on previous seasons really as I agree that his performances this season have been so-so at best.

Obviously he's proven he's a good finisher, but again, that chance he had at the end of the Southampton game doesn't back me up very well there either!

I did say he needs to improve, and hopefully he does as we'll need him this season.

Despite all of the above, I was still very much in favour of selling him in the Summer, despite a lot on here being very much against that - I'm just not a fan of relying on players in the last year of their contract. It won't be the case with all players, but with some you do get a bit of apathy creeping in as they have an eye elsewhere - Maybe Kels is one of them...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, James_lcfc said:

Sure.

I just think he's the best footballer out of the three strikers we have (not including Cannon). I suppose I'm basing this on previous seasons really as I agree that his performances this season have been so-so at best.

Obviously he's proven he's a good finisher, but again, that chance he had at the end of the Southampton game doesn't back me up very well there either!

I did say he needs to improve, and hopefully he does as we'll need him this season.

Despite all of the above, I was still very much in favour of selling him in the Summer, despite a lot on here being very much against that - I'm just not a fan of relying on players in the last year of their contract. It won't be the case with all players, but with some you do get a bit of apathy creeping in as they have an eye elsewhere - Maybe Kels is one of them...

Think this sums up lots of folks, me included, as he can be quality, he can be the best finisher, just as he can be wildly ineffectual, and this season has been disappointing for Kel

I regrettably tend to agree with the very last sentence.

• Like 1

He and Vardy are both far better in a strike partnership. Iheanacho especially. If we weren't doing so well I think it would be an obvious criticism of the approach Maresca is taking, it seemed obvious to me at the start of the season to try and pair them but that's why I'm not the man in the dugout!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, RumbleFox said:

I think, in the current system, he’d genuinely be better as one of the 8s. I love Kel, shame to see him struggling a wee bit. Hope he comes good. In the right system I still firmly believe he’d get 20 goals in the Prem. 

He hasn't got the athleticism to be one of the 8s in this system, unfortunately. 

• Like 3

21 hours ago, Chelmofox said:

Excuses excuses. Others have adapted and embraced the system. Although not perfect, Vardy has adapted to this much better than kels . Mavadidi can score and assist 1 in a games, and people are willing to criticise him heavily. Kels is doing nothing and the excuses are pouring in. The case everyone was making is that he is perfect for this system. He is anything but. 

Time for a spell out of the first team until he works out a way forward. Daka appears to be back in the frame, although it’s clearly going to take him time to adjust as well. 

Daka's only an option if he becomes a threat. After two or three games on the bench, Vardy was brought back against Saints because - quote Maresca - "we've watched the videos to see what suits us best". Basically, he stretches the pitch by staying up with the CBs. He keeps defensive lines pushed back because of the legend/reputation of Vardy. Look at McAteer's goals v Rotherham and Saints. Made because defences are following Jamie. That doesn't happen with Nacho because he keeps dropping deep for the ball and it doesn't happen with Daka because a) he doesn't move and b) he's not got Jamie's reputation.

It's not really an excuse for Nacho, I've said for years he's not a number 9 and never will be. When he had his goalscoring run in 2021 he was playing the Maddison 10 role. Jamie was creating spaces for him with his runs and occupying defenders. He can't adapt that game because he's just not a natural finisher. Look at Man City away (the Kompany goal year) United away two seasons back, Saints away last season. He's not clinical. Rodgers benched him for months after that Man City game because he's just not trustworthy in the big moments. You can adapt your style, go from CDM to an 8, lumbering CB to set piece taker, but you can't train anyone to be a proper 9.

1 hour ago, iancognito said:

Daka's only an option if he becomes a threat. After two or three games on the bench, Vardy was brought back against Saints because - quote Maresca - "we've watched the videos to see what suits us best". Basically, he stretches the pitch by staying up with the CBs. He keeps defensive lines pushed back because of the legend/reputation of Vardy. Look at McAteer's goals v Rotherham and Saints. Made because defences are following Jamie. That doesn't happen with Nacho because he keeps dropping deep for the ball and it doesn't happen with Daka because a) he doesn't move and b) he's not got Jamie's reputation.

It's not really an excuse for Nacho, I've said for years he's not a number 9 and never will be. When he had his goalscoring run in 2021 he was playing the Maddison 10 role. Jamie was creating spaces for him with his runs and occupying defenders. He can't adapt that game because he's just not a natural finisher. Look at Man City away (the Kompany goal year) United away two seasons back, Saints away last season. He's not clinical. Rodgers benched him for months after that Man City game because he's just not trustworthy in the big moments. You can adapt your style, go from CDM to an 8, lumbering CB to set piece taker, but you can't train anyone to be a proper 9.

Nacho set his first goal up.

It's an absolute no brainer to play someone of his quality in this league. Play him when teams sit back and play Vardy when teams come at us.

Sit back and watch us piss the league.

We really don't need to over think this. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Gamble92 said:

It's an absolute no brainer to play someone of his quality in this league. Play him when teams sit back and play Vardy when teams come at us.

That's a very poor return for a player of his purported quality. People forgive his utter lack of product far too easily IMHO. The only thing we will be watching is him walk away for free. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Gamble92 said:

Yeah - agree with that. Drop him for poor performance and let's move on. Really don't need to overthink the 10 excuses as to why its not working. 

On 28/09/2023 at 08:56, Richard said:

Any offers on Jan get him gone. He’s only going to get worse as he gets closer to the end of the contract…

Only sides who'd be willing to throw cash at a fella out of contract in a few months are those probably in a relegation battle and then the issue becomes him actually wanting to make that move.

4 hours ago, Dahnsouff said:

That's a very poor return for a player of his purported quality. People forgive his utter lack of product far too easily IMHO. The only thing we will be watching is him walk away for free. 

I will never understand the love in Iheanacho gets. He's had one decent season here out of 6 seasons.

His lack of end product is horrific. Scores one wonder goal but the other nine end up in row Z.

If he was at a club like Palace I'd be up in arms if we were linked with him.

• Like 3

Just now, Fox92 said:

I will never understand the love in Iheanacho gets. He's had one decent season here out of 6 seasons.

His lack of end product is horrific. Scores one wonder goal but the other nine end up in row Z.

If he was at a club like Palace I'd be up in arms if we were linked with him.

To be honest, I do sort of get it as he is quite charming in an Alsatian puppy with enormous feet sort of way, always smiling, slightly hapless, clumsy, but his lack of consistency is far too readily overlooked

• Like 2