Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
lnkstern

Man City (H) - Post Match Thread

5 minutes ago, Angus Scott said:

Another Brendan masterclass - not. The players must have been full of confidence after 2 good wins, but he virtually tells them they are no good & just sit back to keep the inevitable defeat to as reasonable a scoreline as possible. Hence 90 minutes of boredom.

We have 12 home games left, 5 of which are Arsenal, Liverpool, Chelsea, Tottenham & Newcastle. So do we write those off as inevitable defeats? I hope not because if we do we will surely be relegated.

The tactics & approach to this game today show exactly why BR must be sacked

Hard to comment on those fives games, the world cup break squad fitness and the January transfer window will have more affects on those games than individual tactics on the day. We will be positively affected by the world cup I'm sure whereas Arsenal, Liverpool, Chelsea and Spurs are more likely to lose a bigger % of players to injury than us as a whole.

10 minutes ago, sacreblueits442 said:

..  the switched on big boys have been doing this for a long time!!!

They take it in turns to commit the foul, no problems with racking up the individuals foul count,  and the ref doesn't see it as a a team making excessive fouls, where the next foul becomes a booking, irrespective of who does it.

Yes, deliberately stopping the flow of the game should be an instant yellow card. Then and only then we might see things change.

Edited by Clever Fox
  • Like 1

It’s not great to watch but against a team that good, I’m not against staying in the game and making it a 15 minute mini-game at the end and chancing our luck. With an extra body up front and everyone pressing 10 yards higher after the change, we nicked the ball in good positions, built some momentum and got in some promising transitions, but lacked the quality and luck to execute on it. There’s no way we maintain that intensity and pressure for 90 minutes without getting pulled apart.

Credit to us defensively too, many teams sit in against them and still get picked off, obviously helps not facing Haaland but we didn’t look too troubled on the whole.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Angus Scott said:

Another Brendan masterclass - not. The players must have been full of confidence after 2 good wins, but he virtually tells them they are no good & just sit back to keep the inevitable defeat to as reasonable a scoreline as possible. Hence 90 minutes of boredom.

We have 12 home games left, 5 of which are Arsenal, Liverpool, Chelsea, Tottenham & Newcastle. So do we write those off as inevitable defeats? I hope not because if we do we will surely be relegated.

....not a fan of Rodgers,  but do you recall the fixture last Christmas against them!!!

The setup was right today, we did not use the ball well, when we tried to transition, with the little possession that we had.

I got the feeling that Man. City were never going to score and we just needed to be more precise with the ball when we broke out.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Bourbon Fox said:

The way they were set up in the first half, is the reason they were able to stay in touch with the scoreline and push for the last 20

I think @Astleyfoxis the kind of supporter, among many blinkered, unrealistic posters on the match-day thread, who only sees "football" and not the tactics and set up to do pretty well against teams like Man even though lost. Everyone likes to win but sometimes you have to accept you're gonna struggle against some teams. For me BR got it bang on today.

Pre-match thread posters were predicting anywhere between 4 and 6 goals against us. 0-1 is respectable, I'd say.

1 hour ago, foxinsox said:

but to still be in the game at that point is more than most teams will manage this season

And for me, that is the important factor. 

Posters on here bleating that we should have been more attacking do not understand the reason we had to play the way we did today. We did what we had to do, and we did it pretty well. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Parafox said:

And for me, that is the important factor. 

Posters on here bleating that we should have been more attacking do not understand the reason we had to play the way we did today. We did what we had to do, and we did it pretty well. 

They'll of been the same people probably predicting we will get battered, some people are just never happy. I remember top of the table in 2015 hearing complaints after the Bournemouth draw.

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, howlinmadmurfdoc said:

Surely we’re better to contain them for 75 mins and spend the last 15 trying to equalise rather than going for it and being 4-0 down at half time.

Some people would rather the latter, just need to look at the match thread to know some people would rather entertainment value over a result against one of the best club sides in the world

Edited by South Shire Fox

6 minutes ago, howlinmadmurfdoc said:

Surely we’re better to contain them for 75 mins and spend the last 15 trying to equalise rather than going for it and being 4-0 down at half time.

But who's to say it would be 4 nil at half time..

The final 15min showed if you have a go and don't allow them to play their way thay can be rattled.

I'm not saying we play that way for the full 90, it's not possible, but we were guilty of doing what quite a few teams do and buy into the media hype of their brilliance and give them too much respect. 

We have as much right winning the game as they do... and whilst they are the best team in the Premiership and I think they will be crowned champions again, I wasn't overawed by them ( if they were so brilliant it wouldn't have ended a verv creditable 1 nil performanceby us ) as the last 15min proved.

17 minutes ago, sacreblueits442 said:

....not a fan of Rodgers,  but do you recall the fixture last Christmas against them!!!

The setup was right today, we did not use the ball well, when we tried to transition, with the little possession that we had.

I got the feeling that Man. City were never going to score and we just needed to be more precise with the ball when we broke out.

Br was on a loser whether he sat in or attacked today. I think he got it right given that they really didn't trouble us.

I actually thought we got into some of the best positions but chose the wrong pass. I'm thinking of one when KDH tried to find Barnes when Vardy was better placed and unmarked in the middle. There were a couple of similar situations also when that second to look up could have been the difference.

All in all a good tactical game to watch and a quality free kick to win it.

Edited by Clever Fox
spelling
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, howlinmadmurfdoc said:

I said this in the match thread and IMO, BR knew what he had to do to stop us going under and getting "battered" as some the pre-match posters forecast.

Would those posters rather we trail by 4 goals or keep ManC at bay for 75 mins and produce decent chances in the last 15 mins? 

The only difference between us getting a better result was KDB and that free kick. 

Those like @Astleyfoxsaying we should have attacked from the start don't actually understand the game.

1 hour ago, Mee-9 said:

Not at all, I’ve been there in the dark days and the good. 

I don’t see how genuinely people can say we played well there. Riding high on a couple of good results at home against a good side who are depleted and played in mid week and we roll over. 

People on here now seem to be accustomed to taking the loss and the lack of endeavour. Yeah we’ve played worst this season but that first half was lack of ambition. 

Different standards, some people are winners, some are losers. Some want to win every game, some are happy with mediocrity. 

There speaks a man who knows about being 'genuine'.

6 minutes ago, StanSP said:

To an extent, yes.

It's odd if the club state there'll be a 2-minute silence as part of the display after the Last Post, but then it doesn't happen...

But who knows why? Lack of communication?

Doesn't really matter that much, does it? I thought the bugler was excellent BTW.

I can’t get my head around people taking the high horse when we’ve lost. 

Its not a bad thing for fans to expect a little ambition from the team, when we beat these 5-2 a few years back we did not camp out 25 yards from our own goal for the majority of the game. On top of that we were also away and a good chunk of the players who started today started that game too. 

If anything today shows how far backwards we’ve gone. I’m not saying we should have been turning these over 5-2 again but the approach we took and the respect we gave them was far different from 2 years ago. 

5 minutes ago, Guppys Love Child said:

But who's to say it would be 4 nil at half time..

The final 15min showed if you have a go and don't allow them to play their way thay can be rattled.

I'm not saying we play that way for the full 90, it's not possible, but we were guilty of doing what quite a few teams do and buy into the media hype of their brilliance and give them too much respect. 

We have as much right winning the game as they do... and whilst they are the best team in the Premiership and I think they will be crowned champions again, I wasn't overawed by them ( if they were so brilliant it wouldn't have ended a verv creditable 1 nil performanceby us ) as the last 15min proved.

They looked poor because our game plan stopped them playing. I’ve been a huge critic of Brendan but he got it right today. We almost got our game plan spot on.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Angus Scott said:

What don't you understand - Annoyed Picard | Make a Meme

Edited by Parafox
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, howlinmadmurfdoc said:

They looked poor because our game plan stopped them playing. I’ve been a huge critic of Brendan but he got it right today. We almost got our game plan spot on.

This. I'm BR "get it right or get out". Today he got it right.

Interesting listening to Pipes post match comments and analysis, he seems to be prepared to cut a bit of slack for BR in the light of recent performances.