Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
lnkstern

Man City (H) - Post Match Thread

24 minutes ago, South Shire Fox said:

Some people would rather the latter, just need to look at the match thread to know some people would rather entertainment value over a result against one of the best club sides in the world

...we keep on eulogising Man.City, they are a good  team, but not a team to be feared!!!

The people who would rather have gone toe to toe with them today have as much right to their opinions, they are wrong in this instance, but they are entitled to feel this way.

15 minutes ago, Dames said:

I can’t get my head around people taking the high horse when we’ve lost. 

Its not a bad thing for fans to expect a little ambition from the team, when we beat these 5-2 a few years back we did not camp out 25 yards from our own goal for the majority of the game. On top of that we were also away and a good chunk of the players who started today started that game too. 

If anything today shows how far backwards we’ve gone. I’m not saying we should have been turning these over 5-2 again but the approach we took and the respect we gave them was far different from 2 years ago. 

So that result should mean we can beat them again?

So ManC haven't changed or developed or won the PL since then?

Some posters

Chris Kamara on Twitter: "😂😂 as Jeff would say “as professional as ever  Kammy” Reality check 👌 we are in the quarter finals 👏👏  https://t.co/Xjgn7EqcoJ" / Twitter

3 minutes ago, sacreblueits442 said:

...we keep on eulogising Man.City, they are a good  team, but not a team to be feared!!!

The people who would rather have gone toe to toe with them today have as much right to their opinions, they are wrong in this instance, but they are entitled to feel this way.

Everyone Is Entitled To Be Stupid Now And Then, But Some People Abuse The  Privilege: 105 Undated Pages : Humor: Paperback Journal : Ink, Grace:  Amazon.co.uk: Books

10 minutes ago, Parafox said:

This. I'm BR "get it right or get out". Today he got it right.

Interesting listening to Pipes post match comments and analysis, he seems to be prepared to cut a bit of slack for BR in the light of recent performances.

Matt Piper will just say whatever he thinks will please the majority of listeners.

He's more interested about pleasing others than voicing an honest opinion.

World class manager one week, no good the next.

Yawn.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Thought the chance we had was in the fifteen minutes after Tielemans hit the bar to the subs, the game was almost at walking pace. Should've done more to force it. The final 20 was good, the first half too passive going forward although the defence looks much more organised.

I'm frustrated more than anything, it was a tight game and an opportunity was possibly there. But other results haven't been too bad and this wasn't damaging.

1 hour ago, BKLFox said:

Rubbish, he was very forward thinking with his play, watch again he broke play and immediately set us forward.

You can’t ping them both just because of a weak foul and as for the goal itself not a single keeper in world football stopping that

He made the foul because he’d only just come on the pitch chasing a ball I think he gave away. It was a decent goal but the foul shouldn’t of happened.

It’s unusual to go away from a Leicester defeat not feeling despondent, but my main gripe today was just one of frustration that a few players (Barnes, KDH, Vardy notably) didn’t perform. I think Rodgers for once got his strategy and substitutions spot on, though we were a bit too submissive, respectful and unambitious at times. No team likes to be put under pressure defensively and we didn’t do enough of that until Daka and Kel came on.

I hate losing any game, and no points is no points whoever you get beaten by, but there were a couple of genuine positives today in defeat:

- Tielemans was the best player on the pitch and is starting to look like the ringmaster of old (at last).

- Our defence looked solid, particularly at corners (I always felt Schmeichel’s refusal to come off his line was the common denominator on that score), and Faes looks a really good buy. Soyuncu made a welcome return too.

Of course we have to win one of our next two away games to avoid dropping into the bottom three again, but that is for another day. Today was encouraging.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, howlinmadmurfdoc said:

They looked poor because our game plan stopped them playing. I’ve been a huge critic of Brendan but he got it right today. We almost got our game plan spot on.

I quite agree with your statement bud, and keeping the scoreline down to a respectable 0 - 1 is brilliant and I'm proud of the team today.

But the point I was making was if we hadn't been so as "Park the bus" esque at the beginning ( yes I know its wasn't that bad, but you get my point) and maybe went for it a tad more we wouldn't necessarily have been 4 nil down or even have conceded a goal by the midpoint, as the act of taking the game to them would have occupied them enough in their third of the pitch also you never know as the final 15min looked quite promising that we could have scored if we had had a more sustained and longer period of pressure ourselves 

7 minutes ago, dannythefox said:

He made the foul because he’d only just come on the pitch chasing a ball I think he gave away. It was a decent goal but the foul shouldn’t have happened.

The goal came from Amartey missing a simple header on the halfway line, Man City countered on us and Mendy fouled Grealish.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Simmo86 said:

The goal came from Amartey missing a simple header on the halfway line, Man City countered on us and Mendy fouled Grealish.

Rodgers was gesturing at ward that he should have played the kick out towards the bench area ….. I don’t recall exactly what happened or where ward played it 

24 minutes ago, Parafox said:

So that result should mean we can beat them again?

So ManC haven't changed or developed or won the PL since then?

Some posters

Chris Kamara on Twitter: "😂😂 as Jeff would say “as professional as ever  Kammy” Reality check 👌 we are in the quarter finals 👏👏  https://t.co/Xjgn7EqcoJ" / Twitter

We have the same manager, many of the same players who are older, more experienced and many should have improved. The argument you have about development works both ways… 

And you’re massively missing my point, i said it doesn’t mean we should be beating them again but compare and contrast the approach, today was all about containment and staying in the game in hopes of nicking something whereas the game 2 years ago we were defensive yes but also more aggressive and utilised the outlets in Vardy, Barnes and Castange well. Those 3 all started today. 

You’ve been banging on about how Brendan got it right today, we still lost. He got it right 2 years ago and that was the blueprint that should have been used today. Maybe we would have still lost but I can’t overly praise the tactic of sticking 11 men behind the ball and hoping for the best. 

As I said, today shows how far backwards we’ve gone in the past 2 years under Rodgers and the fact fans are lapping up such a negative style of play proves it too. 

51 minutes ago, tom27111 said:

You're remembering that game through blue tinted specs.

Great result, but we got battered for most of the game.

We had 28% possession and managed 7 shots, all of which were on target, but 3 were penalties. 

But we were way more aggressive and utilised out outlets far better. We got the penalties exactly because of that. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Dames said:

But we were way more aggressive and utilised out outlets far better. We got the penalties exactly because of that. 

And if players hadn't panicked and given up possession so easily in the final third today, we could have scored a couple. 

There was no composure today. Barnes made some rash decisions, KDH was poor, Iheanacho chose to shoot instead of squaring to Barnes...

The 5-2 went perfectly. Today didn't.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, tom27111 said:

And if players hadn't panicked and given up possession so easily in the final third today, we could have scored a couple. 

There was no composure today. Barnes made some rash decisions, KDH was poor, Iheanacho chose to shoot instead of squaring to Barnes...

The 5-2 went perfectly. Today didn't.

I hear what you’re saying but again the 5-2 we were countering all game with Vardy Barnes and Castange giving them all sorts of problems. Today was very different, we didn’t use those players or their strengths as effectively. We didn’t give Man City much to think about and let them have it all their way for most the game.

We kept it tight sure but that was literally all we did well. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tom27111 said:

You're remembering that game through blue tinted specs.

Great result, but we got battered for most of the game.

We had 28% possession and managed 7 shots, all of which were on target, but 3 were penalties. 

We had more shots on target and more corners. More possession means fvck all.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, sacreblueits442 said:

They are probably top 4 in the world. 

We go toe to toe and we would have got battered, that's what they want you to do. 

Tactically today we got it spot on. Just a shame we were a little wasteful in the final 3rd and KDB picks out the top bag from a world class free kick. 

Other than their goal did they have a meaningful shot on target ? 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Angus Scott said:

Another Brendan masterclass - not. The players must have been full of confidence after 2 good wins, but he virtually tells them they are no good & just sit back to keep the inevitable defeat to as reasonable a scoreline as possible. Hence 90 minutes of boredom.

We have 12 home games left, 5 of which are Arsenal, Liverpool, Chelsea, Tottenham & Newcastle. So do we write those off as inevitable defeats? I hope not because if we do we will surely be relegated.

The tactics & approach to this game today show exactly why BR must be sacked

Another one heading for the ignore button