Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
lnkstern

Man City (H) - Post Match Thread

We have to remember this is arguably the best team in the world. Yes in hindsight we could have been more brave but we could then have easily been at the end of a thrashing, with people saying we should have been more conservative. 

Tactically we restricted them to virtually no clear chances apart from that Rodri shot. The De Bruyne goal was just pure class so don't even count that as a chance. With a bit more luck we'd have a point today but tactically we were superb today. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Ever since we’ve won the league, reading a post match thread v Man City or Liverpool or one of the big sides is thankless, waste of time because FT has an unusually larger number who have unrealistic expectations. 

A lot today more satisfying than recent wins for me - particularly the collective effort and running off the ball 

Edited by CosbehFox
  • Like 3

6 minutes ago, coolhandfox said:

We have the second worse defence in the league, we have conceded 25 goals in 13 games.

We started the season with no win in 6 and lost 5 on the spin.

Over the last 2-3 weeks we have managed to gain a some confidence and stop the rot.

Now fans are complaining about us not going toe to toe with one of the best teams in the world.

Unbelievable 

Theres a difference between showing some ambition and aggression and going toe to toe. We did it very well 2 years ago with the same manager and mostly the same players so why were we so scared of them today? They were one of the best teams in the world back then too. 

1 hour ago, dannythefox said:

He made the foul because he’d only just come on the pitch chasing a ball I think he gave away. It was a decent goal but the foul shouldn’t of happened.

Grealish won that free kick at the end of the first half as they walked to the tunnel,haranging the ref over a dubious corner decision. The free kick wasnt a foul to me ..both had their arms up but Grealish threw himself to the floor and the ref gave in . Sometimes putting a ref under pressure works in your favour

• Like 3

Just now, Dames said:

Theres a difference between showing some ambition and aggression and going toe to toe. We did it very well 2 years ago with the same manager and mostly the same players so why were we so scared of them today? They were one of the best teams in the world back then too. 

Revision. We played very similar tactics in that game. We got three penalties.

Their defence was piss poor that game too - none of which played this afternoon funnily enough 

• Like 2

Just now, Dames said:

We just played better on the break, made better choices and excuted them better. 

The stats for both games will be very similar.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, SafewayFox said:

Anyone picking flaws in that result/performance have had their head in the sand the first 10 games of the season.

We are clearly much harder to score against, don’t shit the bed at any set piece and most importantly there was no obvious head drop after conceding.

I kind of disagree with the last point. I thought their goal was and felt at the time like a gut punch that the knocked the team and crowd out of the game til the subs after all the good defending we’d done. For me that was 20 lost minutes of the game. The changes should have happened at 55 min for me. That was 5 min after the goal and it was obvious at that point we were out of the game. Maybe 60 minutes. 70 was too late given the dynamics of the game imo

I do think the initial setup was right. Really it’s the most frustrating result of the season for me given the nature of the goal conceded. Which is something considering brentford and southampton and bournemouth. 

Just hope we keep the new defensive solidity in tact.  

7 minutes ago, CosbehFox said:

Their defence was piss poor that game too - none of which played this afternoon funnily enough 

I’ve always maintained it was similar but we were more aggressive and used our players better hence the 3 penalties and 5 goals. You don’t get 3 penalties as a fluke. 

9 minutes ago, coolhandfox said:

We just played better on the break, made better choices and excuted them better. 

The stats for both games will be very similar.

But thats my point we played better on the break because we were more willing to break, as i’ve said Vardy, Barnes and Castange were used far more effectively and gave Man City plenty to think about. Those 3 played today and were not used as well. I’ve never seen Vardy spend so much time close to our area as I have today. 

36 minutes ago, Dames said:

I’ve always maintained it was similar but we were more aggressive and used our players better hence the 3 penalties and 5 goals. You don’t get 3 penalties as a fluke. 

Get you get 3 pens when they play dopes like Eric Garcia, a mistake prone Walker and mid table Nathan Ake. 

54 minutes ago, drofmor55 said:

Grealish won that free kick at the end of the first half as they walked to the tunnel,haranging the ref over a dubious corner decision. The free kick wasnt a foul to me ..both had their arms up but Grealish threw himself to the floor and the ref gave in . Sometimes putting a ref under pressure works in your favour

You’re not the first person I’ve seen make this point ….we aren’t  cute enough 

2 minutes ago, CosbehFox said:

Get you get 3 pens when they play dopes like Eric Garcia, a mistake prone Walker and mid table Nathan Ake. 

To be fair, Walker is still their first choice RB and a CB played there today out of position. Garcia and Ake kept Laporte out of the side that day and he started today. 

There were also a lot of people on here saying in the summer that Akanji wouldn’t be good enough for us let alone Man City. 

Their defence today was only marginally better than the one 2 years ago and it is still their weakest area, our attacking players if used right would have given them problems. 

55 minutes ago, CosbehFox said:

Yes, Garcia and Ake at centre half. Today they were able to leave Dias on the bench- worlds apart.

I was disappointed and agree with the BBC reporter Phil McNulty who  thought we had improved but were far too cautious because when we attacked in Man city they were all over the place .

BBC sport

There will also be, however, a question mark over whether they could have done more to put Manchester City under pressure, not by simply throwing caution to the winds but by adopting a more pro-active approach rather than a risk-averse strategy for long periods.
When they were forced to push after De Bruyne broke the deadlock early in the second half, they gave Manchester City anxious moments, especially when Youri Tielemans had a volley touched on to the bar by Ederson and later when they induced moments of panic in the visitors defence.

Rodgers insisted he had no regrets about the approach but the sense lingered that a more ambitious approach might just have got some rewards from this game.

Edited by alfox13

1 minute ago, Dames said:

To be fair, Walker is still their first choice RB and a CB played there today out of position. Garcia and Ake kept Laporte out of the side that day and he started today. 

There were also a lot of people on here saying in the summer that Akanji wouldn’t be good enough for us let alone Man City. 

Their defence today was only marginally better than the one 2 years ago and it is still their weakest area, our attacking players if used right would have given them problems. 

Their defence today was far better than two years ago.

Walker regards of him being first choice always has an error in him and is largely reliant on pace. 

Laporte was on his way back from COVID when we played them. After that game they went out and signed Dias 

2 minutes ago, alfox13 said:

I was disappointed and agree with the BBC reporter Phil McNulty who  thought we had improved but were far too cautious because when we attacked in Man city they were all over the place .

BBC sport

There will also be, however, a question mark over whether they could have done more to put Manchester City under pressure, not by simply throwing caution to the winds but by adopting a more pro-active approach rather than a risk-averse strategy for long periods.
When they were forced to push after De Bruyne broke the deadlock early in the second half, they gave Manchester City anxious moments, especially when Youri Tielemans had a volley touched on to the bar by Ederson and later when they induced moments of panic in the visitors defence.

Rodgers insisted he had no regrets about the approach but the sense lingered that a more ambitious approach might just have got some rewards from this game.

Glad that i’m not the only one who’s thinking this. 

1 hour ago, CosbehFox said:

Ever since we’ve won the league, reading a post match thread v Man City or Liverpool or one of the big sides is thankless, waste of time because FT has an unusually larger number who have unrealistic expectations. 

A lot today more satisfying than recent wins for me - particularly the collective effort and running off the ball 

Not sure it stacks up that expectations are unrealistic - I’ve not looked as far back as since we won the league but if you go back to the start of last season (give or take 6 months since the current malaise set in) we have one of the worst records against the big 6. In fact in that time (of the sides to have played both last season and this) only Villa and Wolves have taken fewer points and they’ve both played fewer games against them than we have. We do underperform against the “big six”, or at least we have done for the last year or so.

Other teams with less resources achieve better results against those teams. On a relatively small sample size some of that will be luck but it strikes me that Rodgers has tried the same tactics at home to Man City four years running and we’ve lost every time without scoring a goal, and without ever really looking like we might win.

Just now, CosbehFox said:

Their defence today was far better than two years ago.

Walker regards of him being first choice always has an error in him and is largely reliant on pace. 

Laporte was on his way back from COVID when we played them. After that game they went out and signed Dias 

I wouldnt say so much better than we shouldn’t have even thought about giving them many problems. Its still their weakest area where as our attack is still our strongest. 

Barnes should have been given licence to give Stones a lot more to think about than he did today. 

50 minutes ago, Dames said:

But thats my point we played better on the break because we were more willing to break, as i’ve said Vardy, Barnes and Castange were used far more effectively and gave Man City plenty to think about. Those 3 played today and were not used as well. I’ve never seen Vardy spend so much time close to our area as I have today. 

Wasn't Ake and Eric Garcia and the like playing that day? We scored two wonder goals through Madders and Vards backheel and 3 penalties. On another day we draw or win today. We are in the bottom 3 and we only lost to a wonder goal against the champions and leaders. We are making progress and that's the main thing.

• Like 2