Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
lnkstern

Man City (H) - Post Match Thread

13 minutes ago, Astleyfox said:

No. With the two up front, they proved  that they could cause problems. City were ALWAYS going to score. 

The way they were set up in the first half, is the reason they were able to stay in touch with the scoreline and push for the last 20

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, kenny said:

😂😂😂😂

I'm pleased with today's performance, BR did everything right as did most of the players.

Danny ward is dreadful.

Have a day off.

Did he start the season in horrendous form? 
100%

Has he grown in confidence/stature?

100%

I hope we get an upgrade in the summer but he has shown enough to play a part this season in recent games.

• Like 2

Just now, SafewayFox said:

Have a day off.

Did he start the season in horrendous form? 
100%

Has he grown in confidence/stature?

100%

I hope we get an upgrade in the summer but he has shown enough to play a part this season in recent games.

I agree with you.

He started the season like he had never been in goal before. He has improved from there.

• Haha 3

18 minutes ago, martyn said:

Decent performance. Man City created nothing of note and relied on a moment of brilliance to nick it. Hopefully the defensive improvement is maintained and gives us a base to allow our quality to help us beat the teams we should be beating. Thought Tielemans was excellent again, he often looks good in these games where everyone else is treating the ball like an unexploded bomb 

Had a quick read on the Man City forum and a significant amount are bemoaning our tactics, as if we should just play expansively from the off and allow them to carve us open at will. Wish L1 would respond to their moronic Ranieri chant by responding with reference to them sacking their league winning managers Mancini and Pellegrini, we've had enough years of it to respond in kind.

....it is quite noticeable that our crowd cannot sustain a vocal chant, and is constantly outsung by the away supporters!!!

There is a new breed of supporters down there, just not too sure who they are?

Just now, sacreblueits442 said:

....it is quite noticeable that our crowd cannot sustain a vocal chant, and is constantly outsung by the away supporters!!!

The atmosphere was good today I thought.

I still think the approach of having 11 men camped 25 yards from goal was the wrong approach to take. Man City don’t have a great defence and having an outlet to aim at and give them something to worry about wouldn’t have hurt.

The positives are that the defence is clearly getting better from earlier in the season and that our GD didn’t take a hammering.

We need to show far more ambition in the next 2 games though. 

30 minutes ago, martyn said:

Decent performance. Man City created nothing of note and relied on a moment of brilliance to nick it. Hopefully the defensive improvement is maintained and gives us a base to allow our quality to help us beat the teams we should be beating. Thought Tielemans was excellent again, he often looks good in these games where everyone else is treating the ball like an unexploded bomb 

Had a quick read on the Man City forum and a significant amount are bemoaning our tactics, as if we should just play expansively from the off and allow them to carve us open at will. Wish L1 would respond to their moronic Ranieri chant by responding with reference to them sacking their league winning managers Mancini and Pellegrini, we've had enough years of it to respond in kind.

Hoping for too much from L1 mate, most the lads in there are there to get off their bean rather than enjoy or create an atmosphere. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, sacreblueits442 said:

Watching an illegal stream, with no chance of getting a session ticket

• Like 1

Thought we deserved a draw today. We set up to frustrate and largely achieved that. My gripe is if we were going with that plan, why Brendan made that half time change I will never know. There was nothing Ward could have done with the free kick but it could have so been avoided!

If only we'd let the shackles off at that point. Thought we left it too late but unlucky some of the chances didn't come off. We weren't embarrassed and we move on 

Edited by TK95

Just now, Dames said:

Hoping for too much from L1 mate, most the lads in there are there to get off their bean rather than enjoy or create an atmosphere. 

The few times I've borrowed a ST or managed to get a seat there I thought I was in for some proper support, but all I found was children on low quality cocaine 

55 minutes ago, Always Next Year said:

Where was KDH taken off for Mandy and within 5 mins he gives away a free kick which resulted in the goal, yet another shit decision by Rodgers.

I assume you weren’t at the game today? That’s such a back take. It was the correct decision by Rodgers and tbf he didn’t get anything wrong today imo.

19 minutes ago, tickler28 said:

There was no way on gods earth we could have played 2 up front for 90 minutes...pressing at the rate we were and not got picked off by City....you're living in dreamland if you think a 4-4-2 would have yielded a better result

I can’t believe some fans can’t see this. So clueless. If we had started with 2 up top we more than likely wouldn’t have had the chance to potentially get an equaliser/winner late on. If it wasn’t for the KDB perfect freekick we probably would’ve got a point.

• Like 2

Guest MarshallForEngland

Honestly thought that was one of our best performances of the season. A little more composure when we had the chances and we’d have got something. Ward was much better, came for crosses and looked confident when shots came in. Absolutely nothing he could do about the goal. Man City were always gonna have the majority of the possession, all we could do was stay disciplined and keep a good shape and hope we get a chance or two at the other end. Amartey, Soyunchu and Faes were solid, at least two of them have the potential do something calamitous but managed to put in steady performances. Tielemans inches away from scoring a screamer. I even thought Brendan’s subs on 70 minutes made sense, allowed us to throw a bit more at them without abandoning our shape altogether. It’s a shame we didn’t get anything from the game but that wasn’t a bad performance in my view.

Completely feeble. That performance was feeble.

It was clear what the game plan was. Contain them and flood the centre of the pitch for 70 minutes, and then play football for the final 20. You’re at home against a weakened city side, you’ve just thumped Wolves 4-0 away with some of the most clinical finishing you’d see this season, and he decides to play like that. 

We could have beaten then today, as they were there for the taking if we’d played with some ferocity and attacking venture. KDH had a mare, can see why he was subbed off. Where was Soumare?

I’d rather have lost by more and see us play some nice stuff than that.

6 minutes ago, hejammy said:

Thought the Ranieri chant from them was really weird, only about 5 seasons too late. What was stranger was our Kop "Ranieri.... Ranieri....." and then nothing. 

They've sung it every year since his sacking. And from fans whose club sacked 2 title winning managers themselves. The response should write itself.

9 minutes ago, ARTY_FOX said:

Glad we decided to have a go at the end. But my god what an awful watch it was for the 70 minutes before. 

Yeah, awful game for 70 minutes like walking football. 

I get why we set up like we did though, we’re definitely looking more solid defensively now. 

• Like 1

Some of the positivity about that performance here is laughable. Cannot fathom out how people can enjoy watching that style of play. 

You need to get in their faces, take the game to teams like city. High press, constant running. That game was pedestrian by both sides today.

Danny Ward probably was man of the match for us. 

Just now, Mee-9 said:

Some of the positivity about that performance here is laughable. Cannot fathom out how people can enjoy watching that style of play. 

You need to get in their faces, take the game to teams like city. High press, constant running. That game was pedestrian by both sides today.

Danny Ward probably was man of the match for us. 

The high intensity is impossible to keep up the entire match. Game plan was good. Just wished he made the changes earlier as I feel with Daka and Nacho we couldn't have nicked something had they been given more time

• Like 3

No shame in that performance today. A pure wonderstrike from them and our own that was saved was really the difference.

Quite clear what the gameplan was; contain, contain, contain and try and hit them on the counter. We could have been much better on the ball and when breaking their tempo down, but I thought we defended very well.

Apart from the Silva opportunity and the De Bruyne cross right at the end, I can't remember any other clear-cut opportunities where Ward was tested.

Iheanacho and Daka looked lively when they came on. Just a shame nothing they attempted came off. 

Barnes looked anonymous when they did come on though; in fact he was most disappointing because you rely on him to create opportunities in a game like today and he failed to deliver.

Rodgers seemed to applaud most things and most players for their efforts. Had several negative responses when Soyuncu was wayward. And he seemed to despise Ward for playing to Barnes at one of his goalkicks lol. Rodgers did credit the fans for sticking with the formation and the patience, as well as trying to help get the equaliser after the changes.

Considering we were almost expecting to lose because of Man City's quality, I actually think we were good for a point.

4 minutes ago, hejammy said:

The high intensity is impossible to keep up the entire match. Game plan was good. Just wished he made the changes earlier as I feel with Daka and Nacho we couldn't have nicked something had they been given more time

Game plan is good? Bend over and take it for 70 minutes, kill the mood in the ground and offer nothing? 

We’ve just smashed Wolves 4-0, beat Leeds well, and we now play like that. Regardless of the opposition you have to play free and attacking football when especially its been your success recently. Look at Brighton, 3-0 up against Chelsea at home. You can’t tell me that was a top class Man City side today. Missing Haaland, Foden got a couple of minutes. They were beatable but we rolled over. Same against Man Utd.