Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
BusheyFox

Stewarding

I got asked if I minded a pat down last night and only wondered after what would have happened if I’d said no.

Can you refuse to be searched?

I’ve decided if not that I’m going to start whispering to the person searching to be careful as I’ve just had a nasty strain of norovirus and see how keen they are to get close and personal then.

Only 4 stewards at the SK3 turnstiles last night, 2 helping people with ticket scanning. The other 2 were by the barrier, no bag checking, no ticket checking, just nodding at everyone or that's all when we arrived. 

Only 1 steward at the top of the stairs last night too. 

What on earth is with the 50 odd stewards that march around the pitch with 15 minutes to go now and plonk themselves down? Seemed to be a new thing this season but completely unnecessary. Since when has Leicester ever had a problem with full time pitch invasions? Bizarre.

7 hours ago, Freeman's Wharfer said:

I got asked if I minded a pat down last night and only wondered after what would have happened if I’d said no.

Can you refuse to be searched?

I’ve decided if not that I’m going to start whispering to the person searching to be careful as I’ve just had a nasty strain of norovirus and see how keen they are to get close and personal then.

Yes, it normally surprises them and I just walk in. I start by asking why they need to search me? Have no problem at away games and places where there is clearly high-risk and obviously I’m polite, but I’m just accessing the same seat in the west stand I’ve had for fifteen years and this season they’ve introduced searches.

1 minute ago, Larry_LCFC said:

What on earth is with the 50 odd stewards that march around the pitch with 15 minutes to go now and plonk themselves down? Seemed to be a new thing this season but completely unnecessary. Since when has Leicester ever had a problem with full time pitch invasions? Bizarre.

Last night a large group walked back and forth across the kop end a couple of times, which seemed bizarre. 

Not sure we've enough fans left at full time to stage a major pitch invasion. 

8 hours ago, K1FOX said:

Not just Leicester. Stewarding at Liverpool last week was the worst I’ve experienced away from home. And that was actual Liverpool staff not agency. 

Anfield is terrible for stewarding. I remember having to queue outside for about half an hour in the freezing rain because they were checking everybody on the way in. Not a ground I particularly enjoy going to. 

1 hour ago, FoyleFox said:

Last night a large group walked back and forth across the kop end a couple of times, which seemed bizarre. 

Not sure we've enough fans left at full time to stage a major pitch invasion. 

It’s a job creation scheme. Aggravate and  create trouble where none existed, more bouncers needed, create more trouble etc. money for nothing, easy peasy. It’s the same as that company that got done who charged the council 100 quid a pop for re laying gravestones that we’re getting knocked over by vandals, only they were the ones knocking them down in the night.

6 hours ago, jayfox26 said:

Anfield is terrible for stewarding. I remember having to queue outside for about half an hour in the freezing rain because they were checking everybody on the way in. Not a ground I particularly enjoy going to. 

6 of us went for the cup match just before christmas 2021. We had walked from the city centre in the pouring rain and was freezing cold so not in the best of moods when we arrived at the ground. We hadnt even got to the turnstyles when we were approached by a steward who told us that Anfield was a 100% bag free stadium and the rucksack we had with us, just about big enough for A4 paper, would not be allowed in. As we stood there argueing with him another family came up and asked us if there was a problem. The women had a handbag with her about 50% bigger than the rucksack we had with us and we told them they couldnt take it in with them. The steward replied "no thats fine because its not classed as a bag because she is carrying it in her hands" You can imagine the next 5 minutes of conversation with him trying to explain how a 'handbag' is not a bag!! After a lot of discussion he said I tell you what i will do, I will go with you through the next checks and upto the turnstyles and  I will personally make sure you are allowed in with it even though technically you shouldnt be. As he waved us into the stadium he turned to us and said 'I told you we could sort it one way or another". We spent the 1st 20 minutes once inside just counting and comparing everybody elses bags as there was dozens of the things, the only difference was all the others had a tag on saying 'checked'. Will never go there again

19 hours ago, K1FOX said:

Not just Leicester. Stewarding at Liverpool last week was the worst I’ve experienced away from home. And that was actual Liverpool staff not agency. 

I got asked by one of the Leicester stewards at Liverpool for my ticket. No escaping them

• 1 month later...

Yet more dreadful over the top stewarding in SK1 saturday. Constantly watching blokes that the club literally moved into that area, pushing into rows for god knows what reason. A small army of high viz at the bottom of the stand, and two coppers filming from the first minute. 

That woman with the brown pony tail between block P and the away fans told me after the very first bit of banter between us and the Spurs lot at KO to "be more considerate with my language" and to "Bear in mind that it's Valentines Day soon" I kid you not, I'd only used the F word twice in one sentence!

I asked her what the hell that had to do with it and reminded her that we are at a football match.

She seems a nice enough lady when chatting and after a bit of teasing about her approach to things and a reminder of what and where we were she did wish me a Happy Valentines day but she's constantly up and down the steps on every fans back for the slightest bit of exuberance and banter.

I'm guessing she's the supervisor as she's bossing the other security lads who never say much, smile when we score, laugh at the banter occasionally, one even rolled his eyes when she spoke to him, and just watch us enjoying ourselves but she needs to chill the **** out a bit.

• 7 months later...

Taken from Bentleys

Prior to entering the stadium yesterday I was subject to the usual checks, except this time it was OTT
I was told to lay my jacket on the table and outstretch my arms
What is that in your pockets? erm... phone and car keys
What is that in you jacket? erm... sunglasses
Get them out (had enough now and I didn't)
I replied I am a 68 year old football fan not a bloody terrorist they laughed and let me in
Utter tossers

3 minutes ago, SemperEadem said:

Taken from Bentleys

Prior to entering the stadium yesterday I was subject to the usual checks, except this time it was OTT
I was told to lay my jacket on the table and outstretch my arms
What is that in your pockets? erm... phone and car keys
What is that in you jacket? erm... sunglasses
Get them out (had enough now and I didn't)
I replied I am a 68 year old football fan not a bloody terrorist they laughed and let me in
Utter tossers

Just following there training without thinking and using common sense. Did you get that gun in though?

They were particularly bad yesterday. Had to deal with a steward trying to stop me from bringing a bottle of water into the ground, told him I've never had an issue with it before and when he realised I'm not as meek as I look and won't put up with jobsworth nonsense he eventually backed down and let me in. 

What a great family club, stopping people from staying hydrated on a hot day.