Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Mark

Group B: England, Iran, USA, Wales

When you think of the Welsh players coming to the end of their international careers and are being replaced with mediocrity then you really do wonder when the next tournament will be for them.

Lets just hope we get the job done tonight and make the England vs Wales game a dead rubber

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Raj said:

No it is totally embarrassing,  I dont give a feck about FIFAs rankings

I agree about FIFA's stupid rankings, which are meaningless, but it's not really that embarrassing, is it?

Anyway, all they need to do is to beat England and hope the other match goes exactly the way they need. At least I think so; I was working it out in my head without looking at an actual table so I might have got it wrong!

• Haha 2

Just now, Manley Farrington-Brown said:

I agree about FIFA's stupid rankings, which are meaningless, but it's not really that embarrassing, is it?

Anyway, all they need to do is to beat England and hope the other match goes exactly the way they need. At least I think so; I was working it out in my head without looking at an actual table so I might have got it wrong!

Beat England… seriously that is all lol 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, foxes_rule1978 said:

Beat England… seriously that is all lol 

Yes that is all, but no, not seriously (although England will probably be capable of losing any given match, they'll surely wait till the quarters or semis to fail to turn up). My 'all they need to do' was a (clearly failed) attempt at sarcasm.

41 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

Yeah look, obviously with all due respect I'm disappointed we didn't do better against Iran but they're about on our level and it was always going to be between us to finish last. 

The BBC did a write up on our squad before the world cup started and it was pretty hilarious. Even the players in the football league mostly aren't getting much game time for their clubs. 

Of the three major tournaments we've come to in the last few years (and three out of the last four is insanely impressive for us let's be honest, regardless of whether qualifying got any easier) this is by far the the worst squad we've had. 

I mean bless them they absolutely deserve to be there, nobody has done more for Welsh football, but Ramsey and Bale looked absolutely past it. Ramsey in particular looked absolutely finished today. 

Way to man up.  You could have pulled one of these

dog-cage.gif.1aa057710214be46d1be66339aa49c21.gif

but no bid for sympathy ends well in here …

To be fair and looking back at my previous remarks, people in Iran are probably not that surprised in beating Wales,.

They are probably  walking around the streets of Tehran saying"Wales are fecking sh1t anyway!!!"...obviously  in Iranian language  like!!!!

• Haha 3

3 minutes ago, KingsX said:

Way to man up.  You could have pulled one of these

dog-cage.gif.1aa057710214be46d1be66339aa49c21.gif

but no bid for sympathy ends well in here …

lol I mean I'm not a great loser, if this was the rugby world cup and we were going out in the group stages I'd be having a mammoth tantrum. 

But I honestly never even thought I'd see Wales at a world cup and it's not like we were ever going to beat the Netherlands even if we got out of the group. 

I'm happy for the experience. I'm sure there'll be a few people in here taking the piss and smirking at us losing but I mean, that's just the spirit of football banter really I've got no problems with that. It's not like I don't give it back lol

Actually that result may impact the way the US approaches this match.  A tie is pretty much meaningless for them - either a tie or loss means they have to beat Iran to move on, and even if they lose to England there's no way they don't finish 2nd if they beat Iran.  So strategically speaking they can only help themselves in this match by winning it.  Unless Wales beats England - which, let's be clear, is not happening,

Edited by Deeg67

24 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

I thought Ward was poor for both goals, his positioning for that 2nd goal was very odd. 

Easy to blame Ward. He was dreadfully exposed for the second as for the first no-one closed down the guy who shot.

Wales, like Scotland, never really up to the task and after waiting so long to get there they have been a disappointment.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, David Hankey said:

Easy to blame Ward. He was dreadfully exposed for the second as for the first no-one closed down the guy who shot.

Wales, like Scotland, never really up to the task and after waiting so long to get there they have been a disappointment.

Totally reliant on an ageing Gareth Bale!...

Hope they stuff England though 😁

5 minutes ago, David Hankey said:

Bale was done three years ago. Like Argentina will find out, no matter the pedigree of player you just can’t rely on players who are late 30’s to drag your team through. 

Wales have been disappointing, it feels like they’ve had more to give in every game but just couldn’t find it. I wonder if they placed too much emphasis on Bale to produce the goods for them? 

Brennan Johnson has been very very poor when stepping up in class to the PL and in the World Cup. Its never guaranteed that talented players can do but watching him last season I was convinced he'd find it fairly straight forward. On the last few months showing, there's a long way to go for him.

Because of England’s excellent goal difference they’ll realistically have to lose both of their two final group games to go out.

If they lose by less than three goals v USA, a draw v Wales will still take them through.

If they draw v USA, a defeat by less than four goals v Wales will also take them through.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Raj said:

To be fair and looking back at my previous remarks, people in Iran are probably not that surprised in beating Wales,.

They are probably  walking around the streets of Tehran saying"Wales are fecking sh1t anyway!!!"...obviously  in Iranian language  like!!!!

The BBC had a feature on Iranian fans before the England match. They were very confident of winning with plenty of 2 or 3 nil predictions. Some said a draw at worst. One even seriously claimed that England were the poorest side in the group and that Iran would have harder games against USA and Wales. Clearly only a small group but even so. 

:crylaugh:

1 minute ago, Spudulike said:

The BBC had a feature on Iranian fans before the England match. They were very confident of winning with plenty of 2 or 3 nil predictions. Some said a draw at worst. One even seriously claimed that England were the poorest side in the group and that Iran would have harder games against USA and Wales. Clearly only a small group but even so. 

:crylaugh:

'Seriously claimed?' Sounds like they were taking the piss, no?

So Iranians have a sense of humour. Or at least some Iranian football fans do; I'm not sure the government are big on the bantz and lolz.

1 hour ago, Hammo said:

Because of England’s excellent goal difference they’ll realistically have to lose both of their two final group games to go out.

If they lose by less than three goals v USA, a draw v Wales will still take them through.

If they draw v USA, a defeat by less than four goals v Wales will also take them through.

Assuming England don't lose against the US, I would expect some heavy rotation against Wales to rest up for the knockouts.