Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Mark

Group B: England, Iran, USA, Wales

12 minutes ago, Cadno'r Cymoedd said:

In the 60s and 70s, it was called soccer by many if not most across the UK. We nearly always called it that as kids. Hence, programmes such as Soccer Sunday, Star Soccer etc.

When I went to university in Leicester in 1979, there seemed to a lot of people who had reverted to the term football and disliked the word soccer that had started to take off in the US. 

Sure about that? Perhaps it was just Leicester that didn't do soccer? I can honestly never remember it being called anything other than football (other than a posh PE teacher that tried to get us to play rugger, he failed). 

33 minutes ago, Spudulike said:

Sure about that? Perhaps it was just Leicester that didn't do soccer? I can honestly never remember it being called anything other than football (other than a posh PE teacher that tried to get us to play rugger, he failed). 

Soccer Saturday proves it I guess :D

47 minutes ago, Spudulike said:

Star Soccer was an ATV (Midlands) programme in the late 60s and 70s with Hugh Johns commentating. So I assume Leicester was receiving that and it reflected what the term used was? In south Wales, usually called soccer in the 60s and 70s.

By the way.... 

And nowadays.. 

https://starsocceracademy.co.uk/

Edited by Cadno'r Cymoedd
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, Cadno'r Cymoedd said:

Star Soccer was an ATV (Midlands) programme in the late 60s and 70s with Hugh Johns commentating. So I assume Leicester was receiving that and it reflected what the term used was? In south Wales, usually called soccer in the 60s and 70s.

By the way.... 

And nowadays.. 

https://starsocceracademy.co.uk/

I grew up watching Star Soccer. Very West Midlands based. If they ever ventured eastwards it was all about Notts F and Derby. The media often called it soccer but the fans certainly didn't. I knew of no one that did other than the occasional, slightly interested non-fan that wanted to strike up a conversation. Don't be fooled. Go on Bentley's Roof and ask the oldies if they ever called it soccer :crylaugh:

2 minutes ago, Spudulike said:

I grew up watching Star Soccer. Very West Midlands based. If they ever ventured eastwards it was all about Notts F and Derby. The media often called it soccer but the fans certainly didn't. I knew of no one that did other than the occasional, slightly interested non-fan that wanted to strike up a conversation. Don't be fooled. Go on Bentley's Roof and ask the oldies if they ever called it soccer :crylaugh:

We did, whether you did or not is another matter. 

1 hour ago, Spudulike said:

Soccer Saturday is clearly called that for the alliteration. If it was Friday it'd be Football Friday lol

2 hours ago, Cadno'r Cymoedd said:

In the 60s and 70s, it was called soccer by many if not most across the UK. We nearly always called it that as kids. Hence, programmes such as Soccer Sunday, Star Soccer etc.

When I went to university in Leicester in 1979, there seemed to a lot of people who had reverted to the term football and disliked the word soccer that had started to take off in the US. 

When we were kids it was footy or soccer, that was the 70s and 80s. At some point though the term soccer seemed to get dropped for no apparent reason, can’t remember when but I’m guessing late 80s early 90s. I’m wondering if three lions had anything to do with it but that seems a bit late.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Lambert09 said:

curious if i’m the only one who would want wales to qualify with us? 

As long as we win our game, i’d still hope they make it through. 

Would the Welsh cheer us on?

It's bit like asking a Arsenal fan if they want to see Spurs do well in the champions league.

It's weird too that "soccer" is always used as a stick to beat Americans with, when there's plenty of other nations, including several at this world cup who also use the term.

I'm looking forward to the game Friday. These are games you just dream of from an American perspective. Going up against England and all these premier league stars from "big" teams. I hope our boys do us proud. 

4 hours ago, Detroit Blues said:

It's weird too that "soccer" is always used as a stick to beat Americans with, when there's plenty of other nations, including several at this world cup who also use the term.

I'm looking forward to the game Friday. These are games you just dream of from an American perspective. Going up against England and all these premier league stars from "big" teams. I hope our boys do us proud. 

No other nation is chanting about it though, are they… 

Don’t get it twisted, I have a deep love for the US and a lot of the people here. The punching up that comes with a second rate squad is just coming across as very arrogant. Almost Forest-like. 

Friday will be a good test for both sides and I’m expecting there to be a single goal in it. 

One that I hope everyone can get a laugh out of - I spotted an ad online for a local sports bar (in the US) advertising drinks and apps for the game against “the Whales”. Unbelievable lol

9 hours ago, Facecloth said:

Southgate really is thick at times. His loyalty to his favourites means he runs them into the ground. Why leave him on so long when the games won?

I was surprised he kept him on when he took the knock. His ankles are notoriously weak. Seemed a risky move in a game we were controlling.

1 hour ago, KFS said:

No other nation is chanting about it though, are they… 

Don’t get it twisted, I have a deep love for the US and a lot of the people here. The punching up that comes with a second rate squad is just coming across as very arrogant. Almost Forest-like.

I don’t know a single person with an arrogant attitude about this US team. I think you’re reading way too much into any of this. 

And the second we start to feel like hot sh*t, Gregggg Berhalter will put an end to it. He makes Southgate look like Ferguson and Cruyff combined. 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, The_77 said:

I don’t know a single person with an arrogant attitude about this US team. I think you’re reading way too much into any of this. 

And the second we start to feel like hot sh*t, Gregggg Berhalter will put an end to it. He makes Southgate look like Ferguson and Cruyff combined. 

I don’t know, I actually had to leave a bar at half time for the Wales games because some little twat was gob shitting so badly about the game. My pal visiting me also picked up on how biased the Fox comms were too.

Maybe we’re just ultra sensitive given how much England fans have played up arrogantly in the past, to ultimately deliver nothing. It feels as if you’ve got a different attitude following humble LCFC. The bar I was in was full of rich 6 glory hunters who were astounded it wasn’t 4-0

16 hours ago, Lambert09 said:

curious if i’m the only one who would want wales to qualify with us? 

As long as we win our game, i’d still hope they make it through. 

I’d love Wales to qualify with England. I’d also support Scotland, Northern Ireland and the Republic of Ireland if they were at the World Cup too.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Detroit Blues said:

It's weird too that "soccer" is always used as a stick to beat Americans with

I know! There are so many other, more effective sticks!

Institutional racism.

Ponderosa Steak House.

Gun Culture.

Garish sitcoms.

Petro-warfare.

Sarcasm as a form of wit.

The NFL being a thing in the UK.

Rampant and morbid obesity.

Racial inequality.

Any show that involes 'The World's Most Extreme...'

Fentanyl deaths.

The franchisement of Star Wars

Costly healthcare.

Corporate culture.

Blimey. Soccer is the last thing I'd be choosing to have a dig about. :D

• Haha 2

9 minutes ago, foxile5 said:

I know! There are so many other, more effective sticks!

Institutional racism.

Ponderosa Steak House.

Gun Culture.

Garish sitcoms.

Petro-warfare.

Sarcasm as a form of wit.

The NFL being a thing in the UK.

Rampant and morbid obesity.

Racial inequality.

Any show that involes 'The World's Most Extreme...'

Fentanyl deaths.

The franchisement of Star Wars

Costly healthcare.

Corporate culture.

Blimey. Soccer is the last thing I'd be choosing to have a dig about. :D

I would add "studied and costly ignorance of science in the name of religion" to this but I'm not sure how fair that would be as it doesn't apply across the board...