Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Mark

Group B: England, Iran, USA, Wales

Mount spent most of the game chasing after balls he had lost in the first place then giving away a foul with an ill timed tackle when he couldn’t win it back, which in Southgatespeak means he “showed great work rate”.

Saka had an off night. As did Bellingham.

Sterling is simply not good enough.

But I am sure all four will start again v Wales.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

14 minutes ago, Col city fan said:

The difference with Euro 96 was about how the team played after the first match. Quick, exciting, attacking… basically going for it.

It felt so much different to that shite tonight 

That first match though in 1996 …. 

12 minutes ago, trabuch said:

France, Spain, Brazil.

Exactly - because England are lacking panache - the kind of swagger and guile Mbappé has cartloads of. Vinicius and Raphina take defenders on along the line - whereas Grealish tries the tricky, mazey stuff (tonight) against a tough, disciplined and organised defence. If England cant take the US, then we can forget about getting any further than the quarters. France and Brazil are standouts to win.

Southgate isn't the kind of manager who can drive a team on to win a major tournament. Wiegman would do a better job.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Super_horns said:

Southgate made it sound like USA are some sort of formidable force there.

Then seemed to suggest Wales won’t be the same - expecting an easy game to manage ?

I kind of agree. He’s had the thought process of not lose tonight, win on Tuesday. 

• Like 1

Guest Col city fan
2 minutes ago, Miquel The Work Geordie said:

I'm absolutely not defending tonight by the way but I can't buy into the notion we were some sort of irresistible and exciting force in Euro 96. 

All I can recall is that the country was rocking during Euro 96. Bouyed by a team that had taken its shackles off. Gazza’s goal, big wins against good opposition etc.

It felt completely different to watching England under Southgate. 
I think this England squad could definitely win this tournament. But what will most likely happen is that we’ll negotiate our way to the Semis, or even the final again, by slim victories, only to go out with a whimper. The team epitomises Gareth. Safe, sensible, planned, disciplined but ultimately boring.

Not playing Foden in a tourno like this is vintage Southgate.

5 minutes ago, gerblod said:

Exactly - because England are lacking panache - the kind of swagger and guile Mbappé has cartloads of. Vinicius and Raphina take defenders on along the line - whereas Grealish tries the tricky, mazey stuff (tonight) against a tough, disciplined and organised defence. If England cant take the US, then we can forget about getting any further than the quarters. France and Brazil are standouts to win.

Southgate isn't the kind of manager who can drive a team on to win a major tournament. Wiegman would do a better job.

I am at the age where I am far more disappointed by a manager that can't get the best out of players, rather than with the players not doing their best.

Edited by trabuch
  • Like 1

Just now, Col city fan said:

All I can recall is that the country was rocking during Euro 96. Bouyed by a team that had taken its shackles off. Gazza’s goal, big wins against good opposition etc.

I think this England squad could definitely win this tournament. But what will most likely happen is that we’ll negotiate our way to the Semis, or even the final again, by slim victories, only to go out with a whimper. The team epitomises Gareth. Safe, sensible, planned, disciplined but ultimately boring.

You genuinely think we can make the semi's or better?

:nigel:

As soon as we meet anyone half decent, we'll be gone.

Bring back Sven. At least he guaranteed a quarter!

I'd take that this year.

• Like 1

Guest Col city fan
1 minute ago, tom27111 said:

I'd take that this year.

I’ve looked at the draw Tom and had a few notes on us going out in the Semis

🤔

5 minutes ago, Col city fan said:

That'd probably be because the country had a big feel good factor about it anyway, were hosts, beat one of our biggest rivals etc. The squad was also really backable as characters. But we had one really, really good win. We've also had loads of those under Southgate? Again, I don't think we're currently without failings, and it's clear that Foden and Bellingham need to be the players we build around; I'm just not having the point that the football we played in 96 has been any better than Southgate's tournament showings as manager, not do I think the squad in 96 was worse.

Euro 96 and Italia 90 aren't half looked at with a bleary eyed sense of nostalgia.

Edited by Miquel The Work Geordie
  • Like 4

5 minutes ago, tom27111 said:

I'd take that this year.

Pining for a manager who never got past the quarters when the current one has reached a semi and a final is just...

• Like 2

Guest Col city fan
4 minutes ago, Miquel The Work Geordie said:

That'd probably be because the country had a big feel good factor about it anyway, were hosts, beat one of our biggest rivals etc. The squad was also really backable as characters. But we had one really, really good win. We've also had loads of those under Southgate? Again, I don't think we're currently without failings, and it's clear that Foden and Bellingham need to be the players we build around; I'm just not having the point that the football we played in 96 has been any better than Southgate's tournament showings as manager, not do I think the squad in 96 was worse.

Euro 96 and Italia 90 aren't half looked at with a bleary eyed sense of nostalgia.

That I do agree with. Everything felt pretty different back then. More money floating about, no covid, Gazzas ‘dentist chair’ etc, the tournament being in England etc.

The team was more reflective of Venables I think. Bit more loopy, funny, less staid. Had an edge about it. 

Just now, Miquel The Work Geordie said:

Pining for a manager who never got past the quarters when the current one has reached a semi and a final is just...

No, not at all. 

Was just an off the cuff remark that we always made quarters!

Southgate is a terrible manager.

No bollocks.

Wasn't he the one who ironically called out Sven and said "we needed Winston Churchill, instead, we got Iain Duncan-Smith"?

2 minutes ago, tom27111 said:

No, not at all. 

Was just an off the cuff remark that we always made quarters!

Southgate is a terrible manager.

No bollocks.

Wasn't he the one who ironically called out Sven and said "we needed Winston Churchill, instead, we got Iain Duncan-Smith"?

Southgate has always done better than the quarters? And we've had more memorable results doing so?

Again I don't think he's very good but our national side was on its knees when he took over. He's bottled some huge games but at least we've been there to bottle them which wasn't the case for about 20 years beforehand