Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Mark

Group B: England, Iran, USA, Wales

14 hours ago, davieG said:

Even v Iran the 1st half wasn't great I almost stopped watching.

It was a good performance but some slight outcome bias as well, England were extremely clinical. Both games so far England have gotten better results than the performance.

This England v Wales game is quite fascinating. Wales have really got to throw everything at it and if Southgate has some horribly pragmatic game plan to try and shut the game down and we then fall apart like we did vs Hungary earlier this year then it could happen.

I don't think it will but I'm very interested to see how Southgate sets us up, he should be sending us out with fire inside us on the back of a lethargic and unacceptable display vs USA. But I'm not sure that will be his tactics, it will be to control the game by meaningless possession and then if chances open up for us to score goals then so be it.

3 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

This England v Wales game is quite fascinating. Wales have really got to throw everything at it and if Southgate has some horribly pragmatic game plan to try and shut the game down and we then fall apart like we did vs Hungary earlier this year then it could happen.

I don't think it will but I'm very interested to see how Southgate sets us up, he should be sending us out with fire inside us on the back of a lethargic and unacceptable display vs USA. But I'm not sure that will be his tactics, it will be to control the game by meaningless possession and then if chances open up for us to score goals then so be it.

It’s likely this. 

3 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

19 minutes ago, Bert said:

It’s likely this. 

Well a point should win the group so that’s what he’ll aim for …..

4 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

Yes that's my fear...Instead of looking at the positives in the squad he will go defensive...we have the players..but English managers are simply scared to let them play their natural game..

No arrogance from my side,but we should be brushing Wales aside,and play with panache..

But It will be like an FAcup round, and Wales fighting for every piece of Turf..

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

Given USA are going to have to go for it against Iran and Iran have every chance of beating them on the break he's a total fool if he plays for a point, but I wouldn't put it past him.

6 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

Gareth Southgate is a man who wouldn't even dare to leave the house to go to the cornershop without bringing 7 right backs with him, so it's definitely going to be the meaningless possesion option.

2 hours ago, st albans fox said:

Well a point should win the group so that’s what he’ll aim for …..

Wouldn't surprise me and the reason we will never achieve anything under him with one of the best squads in world football. You don't win major honours trying to avoid defeat all the while, certainly not when you also have many scars both as a player and manager of bottling big games if you somehow get in a good position too.

19 hours ago, Iran said:

I guess it's fair to say Jurgen Klinsmann isn't really a fan of the Iranian national team. lol

One of the first players I ever saw dive, as an 8 year old, was Klinsmann. He feigned injury, tried to get opposition sent off, conned the ref etc. Is that part of your German culture, Jurgen? Really terrible comment to make. Iran's "antics" weren't any worse than what we are used to see. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, orangecity23 said:

Gareth Southgate is a man who wouldn't even dare to leave the house to go to the cornershop without bringing 7 right backs with him, so it's definitely going to be the meaningless possesion option.

If just someone would give him a Snickers, he would do wonders..

Why are England always so close then shoot themselves in the foot,by not just

believing themselves. ..These guys get paid more than most,they should also have that Gaul & arrogance ( not entitlement) to play their football they suppose to be able to , & go out and earn those PL ecolades…

Maybe we are being unfair, we could go out & win an hard game,with some PL flair.

We might nail their dragon wings to those deep dungeon walls,and take Bales pony tail as a scalp,and it’s ashes,finds its places in our trophy cabinet,which the

two teams will play for, over the coming centuries.

And our own Max Boyce,screaming “do you remember” waving our very own Roses & Turnips in the air..

We might just Annihilate the Welsh…

Or we follow that English bulldog,who somehow just bungles through..

20 minutes ago, Trav Le Bleu said:

Kane saying on MotD half time that 0-0 against USA was, "a good result".

No wonder we've not won a major tournament in over 50 years :rolleyes:

Not really worth listening to 99% of players, so much media training.

Maddison is an anomaly to that though. Doesn't say anything wrong, but says so much more than any other player.

11 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

I don’t think Wales have the attacking quality to really punish England, even compared to Hungary. 

However England’s tactics will see them up against it versus whoever they play out of Netherlands/Ecuador/Senegal before a near certain loss to France or Argentina (assuming they win their next game) in the QF. 

Just now, Lionator said:

I don’t think Wales have the attacking quality to really punish England, even compared to Hungary. 

However England’s tactics will see them up against it versus whoever they play out of Netherlands/Ecuador/Senegal before a near certain loss to France or Argentina (assuming they win their next game) in the QF. 

Let @Finneganref it, for a laugh.