Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Mark

Group B: England, Iran, USA, Wales

9 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

I don't think you know what irony is and you completely ignored my question about Moore. 

What's arrogant about saying they want to win? I want us to win, that doesn't mean I think we will. 

I'll absolutely love it if Wales win later. I'll be insufferable on here. Christ, if by some miracle we actually knocked you out I think Mark would have to ban me for everyone's sakes because I'd never let you forget it. 

None of that is arrogance. Arrogance would be, for example, acting like you were beneath us and saying something like "find me any Wales player that even gives a shit about England." You know, something like that. 

It sounds like you need therapy more than anything mate. Wow lol 

Surely this thread has proven that Welsh people don't like certain things about the English and English people don't like certain things about Welsh people?

Not sure why both sides of this argument are trying to act like they don't understand why one side of the border is annoyed at the other.

Personally do find the whole Michael Sheen stuff utterly weird given I'm about as Welsh as half of that team. The idea that nobody does passion like the Welsh stuff is a bit odd as well given some of the scenes we've seen in the stands at this tournament. 

Also get why the Welsh wouldn't like that English people are 'upset' that we have to "share the limelight".

9 minutes ago, AKCJ said:

The idea that nobody does passion like the Welsh stuff is a bit odd as well given some of the scenes we've seen in the stands at this tournament. 

One thing I'd say in defence of this is that, tbf, it's not really us doing it. 

I mean the FAW might post the odd tweet praising the Wales fans but what team's social media doesn't do that? Even the Michael Sheen bit, I mean League Of Their Own is a show made by English people at an English television studio and despite being presented as adhoc was clearly a scripted segment, no doubt written by an English comic writer. 

All the waxing lyrical is the broadcasters and tabloids (with their largely English producers and editors) looking to standard clichés to make their content. The Irish fans are good fun, the African fans are colourful, the South American fans are crazy, the Welsh like singing. It's not exactly groundbreaking stuff is it, it's just easy column inches or broadcast minutes.

We lap it up, of course we do. I'll joke on here all the time about us winning at the singing but there's a difference between that as a bit of banter and ACTUALLY believing that we're the only fans in the world who like to sing. 

Edited by Finnegan

1 minute ago, Finnegan said:

One thing I'd say in defence of this is that, tbf, it's not really us doing it. 

I mean the FAW might post the odd tweet praising the Wales fans but what team's social media doesn't do that? Even the Michael Sheen bit, I mean League Of Their Own is a show made by English people at an English television studio and despite being presented as adhoc was clearly a scripted segment, no doubt written by an English comic writer. 

All the waxing lyrical is the broadcasters and tabloids (with their largely English producers and editors) looking to standard clichés to make their content. The Irish fans are good fun, the African fans are colourful, the South American fans are crazy, the Welsh like singing. It's not exactly groundbreaking stuff is it, it's just easy column inches or broadcast minutes.

We lap it up, of course we do. I'll joke on here all the time about us winning at the singing but there's a difference between that as a bit of banter and ACTUALLY believing that we're the only fans in the world who like to sing. 

Nobody is saying that Wales fans are the ones saying it. Most of us probably don't know a Welsh person.

This is just another classic case of football fans from Club A, acting like football fans from Club B are somehow complete ****ing oddballs, despite being an almost identical demographic. 

You have to be a proper nob to act like this isn't just a friendly rivalry.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Nobbyburton said:

This is just another classic case of football fans from Club A, acting like football fans from Club B are somehow complete ****ing oddballs, despite being an almost identical demographic. 

You have to be a proper nob to act like this isn't just a friendly rivalry.

It’s Forest-Leicester on our own forum lol 

Just now, KFS said:

It’s Forest-Leicester on our own forum lol 

More like Notts County - Leicester :D

Seriously, most Welsh people I know albeit in Cardiff don't really hate the English.  They hate Swansea far more and Bristol too. More city rivalry than country.  I do believe it is different in the Valleys though who have a far more Nationalistic outlook.

21 minutes ago, Zaphod Beeblebrox said:

Seriously, most Welsh people I know albeit in Cardiff don't really hate the English.  They hate Swansea far more and Bristol too. More city rivalry than country.  I do believe it is different in the Valleys though who have a far more Nationalistic outlook.

The only place in the UK I've felt vulnerable for being English was in a pub in the Welsh valleys. And I once openly supported England in a World Cup game in a Glasgow pub and have also drunk in a Catholic pub just off the Falls Road, not far from the Bobby Sands memorial...

Edited by ClaphamFox

27 minutes ago, ClaphamFox said:

The only place in the UK I've felt vulnerable for being English was in a pub in the Welsh valleys. And I once openly supported England in a World Cup game in a Glasgow pub and have also drunk in a Catholic pub just off the Falls Road, not far from the Bobby Sands memorial...

DlJ0_VfX0AIn0Bk.jpg

• Haha 4

50 minutes ago, Zaphod Beeblebrox said:

Yet they'll happily travel to every away game and sing about us.

1 hour ago, Zaphod Beeblebrox said:

Hahaha the Welsh absolutely love fighting amongst ourselves. It's a tradition going back thousands of years. It's why we were so easy to invade. 

I went to uni with a Celtic fan from Glasgow and he was baffled by my stories of Swansea and Cardiff fans kicking the shit out of each other at Wales games. He said even the Old Firm lot don't bother when Scotland play, like nobody is stupid enough to turn up in a Celtic or Rangers shirt, everyone's just Scotland and you don't ask questions (I suppose it helps that a lot of the Old Firm trouble is from NI but still.)

Like I've seen Wales fans fighting the English a little when they come to Cardiff but the vast majority of the trouble I've seen at our home games used to be Jacks turning up to the Millennium Stadium in their Swansea shirts and picking fights lol

The culture of that has changed a bit though over the last ten or so years. There's more mainstream support for the national team, its become a bit more unified and has grown a more clear identity. 

But yeah I do think the perceived "hate" of the English is a bit more of a fantasy than a fact. Especially in Cardiff, I mean Cardiff is absolutely chock with English people that live there now, especially a lot of students and young professionals. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Fox92 said:

Yet they'll happily travel to every away game and sing about us.

Are you talking about Swansea and Cardiff? Because literally every ground they go to they're met with "Ingurlund!", GSTQ and sheepshagger chants so what are you really expecting? 

6 minutes ago, Daggers said:

We all know that laughing at Wales supporters on Foxestalk will be Ingurland's highlight of the tournament.

artworks-000384609492-ffxuso-t500x500.jpeg

The highlight of Leicester's season will probably be the 4-0 against Forest. Not sure what your point is.

11 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

Are you talking about Swansea and Cardiff? Because literally every ground they go to they're met with "Ingurlund!", GSTQ and sheepshagger chants so what are you really expecting? 

What do you expect, they go to every English ground and sing about how much they hate them. :thumbup:

• Haha 1