Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Mark

Group C: Argentina, Saudi Arabia, Mexico, Poland

2 minutes ago, SouthStandUpperTier said:

I'd maybe rank that 3rd behind USA/England in 1950 and North Korea/Italy in 1966 for World Cup shock results.

Senegal v France 2002? Especially when you consider the French squad at the time and the fact they were defending Champions.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Pliskin said:

They are, and that’s no joke. Argentina are genuine bollocks. Two old farts up front and can’t defend. 

100%. My mind has boggled for weeks at people who were seriously listing Argentina as tournament favourites. Horrendous.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Nobbyburton said:

I mean they were 35 unbeaten before that, so it's not totally ridiculous. That was definitely a shocker. 

Yes a shock they lost to KSA, however I think that run has painted a false image of them. Looking at the team on paper, it’s very ordinary. The standard of opposition they’ve faced hasn’t been great, I know you can only beat what’s in front of you, but I’d fancy most decent European teams to comfortably beat Argentina.

1 minute ago, Pliskin said:

I think that run has painted a false image of them.

How often does that kind of run happen in international football though? 

They bear Brazil on their way to the Copa America in that run so all of it can't be taken with a pinch of salt. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Pliskin said:

Yes a shock they lost to KSA, however I think that run has painted a false image of them. Looking at the team on paper, it’s very ordinary. The standard of opposition they’ve faced hasn’t been great, I know you can only beat what’s in front of you, but I’d fancy most decent European teams to comfortably beat Argentina.

I dunno, they beat Brazil, Italy, Uruguay, Chile, Colombia on that run. Hardly a bad standard. I get what people are saying, on paper a lot of players don't stand out, but it's hardly ridiculous to suggest they were/are up there with the favourites when they have been on a run like that.

To be honest, they could have been 3 up by half time if they could time their runs better and we wouldn't even be discussing them as not up to it. 

Edited by Nobbyburton
  • Like 1

Just now, StanSP said:

How often does that kind of run happen in international football though? 

They bear Brazil on their way to the Copa America in that run so all of it can't be taken with a pinch of salt. 

Not all of the time admittedly, however, I don’t even think Brazil are good. Football in that part of the world is in a funny place at the moment. It has been for some time. I’d say they’re probably the best of a bad bunch. But you’ve got to admit, if you’re relying on an ageing pair of Messi and Di Maria then you’re in a spot of bother, no matter their pedigree. 

In the context of their qualification route they’ve been good, but compared to some of the European teams, they’re no where near the level required to win the World Cup. 

I would not be at all surprised if they don’t even get out of the group. 

6 minutes ago, Nobbyburton said:

I dunno, they beat Brazil, Italy, Uruguay, Chile, Colombia on that run. Hardly a bad standard. I get what people are saying, on paper a lot of players don't stand out, but it's hardly ridiculous to suggest they were/are up there with the favourites when they have been on a run like that.

To be honest, they could have been 3 up by half time if they could time their runs better and we wouldn't even be discussing them as not up to it. 

Italy, Columbia and Chile aren’t here! 

Uruguay aren’t anything to shout home about, and I don’t think Brazil are any good either. 

Put it this way, Argentina are nowhere near as good as England in my opinion, so you can gauge it from that. 

Argentina should have won today, not even from the chances created, but KSA left so much space for them to exploit, and they didn’t. It was a really bizarre performance, as if they had no idea what they were doing, just try and find Messi and hope for the best. Can’t expect to do well at the world stage if you’re not getting the basics of the game right. 

They’re also very poor defensively! 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, David Hankey said:

Who said Argentina were favourites?

The pundits. I'll be honest though, I was expecting Iran to be more competitive against us but their manager got it all wrong with his approach. I think the gap between the traditional "favourites" and the other teams isn't that big as some people believe. 

Any videos with reactions from Argentina after the defeat? The whole country there must be in total shock. 

Going to be really interesting now as Saudi Arabia could possibly qualify with four points. I would be worried if I was Argentina, Mexico and Poland will be no pushovers, and are pretty evenly matched teams. 

They have it all to do. There always seems to be one/two nations which are tipped heavily, and go crashing out. Obviously it’s so early, but could it be them?

I always think Poland consistently produce really athletic footballers. Quick, powerful and bundles of energy. I work with a few polish lads and even they are all physically impressive. They certainly won’t be push overs, and they’ve got one of the games best ever finishes, granted he needs to score at a World Cup first……..