Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Mark

Group E: Spain, Costa Rica, Germany, Japan

6 minutes ago, Balj said:

Marcos Senna played with distinction - sure there are others

6 minutes ago, CosbehFox said:

Yes. They have one on the bench today 

1 minute ago, Finnegan said:

There's literally one on the bench now who came on in the last game. 

His brother is playing for Ghana in the tournament. They play together for Bilbao. Williams. 

6 minutes ago, Super_horns said:

Marco Senna ?

Midfielder in the 2012 Euros I think.

Not many though for a European country is it..they are abit like Everton!! They didnt have a black player til years after others!

Anyway, I want Germany to win.

It's not the same without them in the later rounds.

• Like 1

Just now, Raj said:

Not many though for a European country is it..they are abit like Everton!! They didnt have a black player til years after others!

People kinda of forgot Spain were still ruled by a dictator until 1975, so as an European country they a generation or so behind when it comes to migration and immigration 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Raj said:

They don't have the length of immigration as other European countries do so their black players tend to be naturalised after moving there rather than being born there- Senna was born in Rio for example. That will change with time and is changing already.

• Like 3

Just now, CosbehFox said:

People kinda of forgot Spain were still ruled by a dictator until 1975, so as an European country they a generation or so behind when it comes to migration and immigration 

Abit like Scotland and Nicola Sturgeon then!?

Just now, Raj said:

It's actually quite noteworthy that the Williams brothers not only almost both played for Spain but they actually both play for Bilbao who have a sort of semi ethnic (ish) policy of only recruiting Basque players. Previously that meant ethnically Basque, now obviously you can be born in Basque country and play. 

I've just remembered there's another couple in the squad. Balde is a left back, Ansu Fati a forward, both from Barcelona academy. 

There's actually quite an increasing amount of the young players at Barcelona academy that have Spanish nationality but are ethnic minorities so I think there will be more in the next generation. 

But Spain doesn't have as much ethnic diversity as France, the Netherlands, England, Germany, etc. They probably have less than Italy who obviously only recently in this generation have more young black players developing at various top academies with Italian nationality. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

It's actually quite noteworthy that the Williams brothers not only almost both played for Spain but they actually both play for Bilbao who have a sort of semi ethnic (ish) policy of only recruiting Basque players. Previously that meant ethnically Basque, now obviously you can be born in Basque country and play. 

I've just remembered there's another couple in the squad. Balde is a left back, Ansu Fati a forward, both from Barcelona academy. 

There's actually quite an increasing amount of the young players at Barcelona academy that have Spanish nationality but are ethnic minorities so I think there will be more in the next generation. 

But Spain doesn't have as much ethnic diversity as France, the Netherlands, England, Germany, etc. They probably have less than Italy who obviously only recently in this generation have more young black players developing at various top academies with Italian nationality. 

I've just had a random though that is probably wrong, but when Rob Ullathorne left us, didn't he go to Osasuna and aren't they Basque?

Or is the situation that Atlet Bilbao have always positioned themselves differently from other Basque teams in that regard?

And was it even Osasuna he went to?

And are they even in the Basque region?

Lots of questions... and I come to you for the answers.

Just checked if he did play for them and looks like we signed him from them; not the other way round. Totally not how I remember it. How odd!

Edited by The People's Hero
My memory is weird.

13 minutes ago, Super_horns said:

They have had racism issues in Spain - not just at football games either .

That's true of course but their history of colonisation was South America focussed not Africa/India/East and so there are fewer ex colonies to generate black immigration. Hence Senna coming from Brazil. The dictatorship sealed borders even more. The same could be said of many Russo/Scandic/Nordic countries which also have a colonial past but not involving 'black' countries.

Edited by Balj
  • Like 1

Most of Spains immigration come from Latin America I presume. Same surnames,, language and vaguely relatable cultures. Leo Messi kids are full Argentines but are Spanish/Catalan by birth and culture.

Edited by Koke

18 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

I'd say another reason for that is that Spain and Italy didn't have anywhere near as many African colonies under their rule like all those others mentioned. 

Edit - Also mentioned by Balj above. 

Edited by The Bear

17 minutes ago, The People's Hero said:

I've just had a random though that is probably wrong, but when Rob Ullathorne left us, didn't he go to Osasuna and aren't they Basque?

Or is the situation that Atlet Bilbao have always positioned themselves differently from other Basque teams in that regard?

And was it even Osasuna he went to?

And are they even in the Basque region?

Lots of questions... and I come to you for the answers.

Just checked if he did play for them and looks like we signed him from them; not the other way round. Totally not how I remember it. How odd!

Osasuna, Eibar, Alaves and Sociedad don't have the same policy. It's just Athletic. 

4 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

Osasuna, Eibar, Alaves and Sociedad don't have the same policy. It's just Athletic. 

Interesting. The two brothers playing for the same club side but choosing to represent other nations - interesting stuff. Is there any precedent for this?

Just now, The People's Hero said:

Interesting. The two brothers playing for the same club side but choosing to represent other nations - interesting stuff. Is there any precedent for this?

Yeah in the world cup in, I want to say 2010, two brothers played for Germany and, again, Ghana. 

The Boatengs. They were in the same group and actually played each other. 

2 minutes ago, The People's Hero said:

The Boateng's spring to mind

3 minutes ago, The People's Hero said:

The Berishas both played for Norway but were both eligible for Kosovo when they came onto the scene - one of them made the switch, the other stayed with Norway. I think they were at different clubs at that point, mind.

4 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

Yeah in the world cup in, I want to say 2010, two brothers played for Germany and, again, Ghana. 

The Boatengs. They were in the same group and actually played each other. 

Rafinha and Thiago, Xhaka and his brother, pretty sure one of Pogba's brother's played for a different country as well. Think the first two sets may have played together at the same clubs , whether they'd committed to different nations whilst at the same clubs I'm not sure

Edited by Tommy Fresh
  • Like 1