Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Mark

Group E: Spain, Costa Rica, Germany, Japan

10 minutes ago, foxes_rule1978 said:

Well it is a shocking result that has put them out after a great win over Germany even a draw would have been useful. You obviously have taken what I was saying literally as opposed to just thinking what a great chance they blew that night 

It's definitely a big opportunity lost but I think to make out it's "shocking" is a bit naive. 

Football isn't binary, it's not just the team with the best ratings on their players wins, there's more variety and complexity to it than that. 

In many ways Germany were a much easier opponent for Japan when you factor in context, styles of play, the types of game. Germany allowed Japan to completely play to their strengths, Costa Rica took all of those strengths away. And even then, Japan required a LOT of luck against Germany. 

Sure its disappointing but its not really surprising. 

Edited by Finnegan
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

It's definitely a big opportunity lost but I think to make out it's "shocking" is a bit naive. 

Football isn't binary, it's not just the team with the best ratings on their players wins, there's more variety and complexity to it than that. 

In many ways Germany were a much easier opponent for Japan when you factor in context, styles of play, the types of game. Germany allowed Japan to completely play to their strengths, Costa Rica took all of those strengths away. And even then, Japan required a LOT of luck against Germany. 

I absolutely agree with all of this, I’m just annoyed because it opened up a huge door for Germany to go through. 

3 minutes ago, foxes_rule1978 said:

Well I just felt it was a huge opportunity lost for them, they are the better team and it was a bad result 

It was.

But we see it time and again when two defensive sides meet, that they cannot break eachother down. Costa Rica had one effort on target, one small mistake by Japan, and boom.punished. You should acknowledge that it was a very fortuitous win for Costa Rica, just like Belgium against Canada.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

On another day Germany would’ve won that game 3-0. They just couldn’t finish them off, the goalkeeper made some ridiculous saves. One of the Japanese goals also doesn’t go in on 9/10 occasions. 

This German side is much better than the one at the Euro’s and come Euro 2024 they’ll be back towards the elite.

17 minutes ago, foxes_rule1978 said:

I absolutely agree with all of this, I’m just annoyed because it opened up a huge door for Germany to go through. 

Don't understand why you'd dislike the Germans. Have they been offensive in any way?

3 minutes ago, shen said:

Don't understand why you'd dislike the Germans. Have they been offensive in any way?

Lol 😂 I don’t hate the Germans, I’ll just prefer them to not go through like all the big teams. Any chance to get rid of them is good. Plus I’m no fan of Rudiger anyway. Don’t see what is problematic with that 

Edited by foxes_rule1978

12 minutes ago, foxes_rule1978 said:

Lol 😂 I don’t hate the Germans, I’ll just prefer them to not go through like all the big teams. Any chance to get rid of them is good. Plus I’m no fan of Rudiger anyway. Don’t see what is problematic with that 

Oh nothing problematic, just curious. Rüdiger is dislikable for sure.

I'm a fan of underdogs too, but ultimately I feel a 'watered down' knockout phase typically leads to poor quality or meh entertainment.

• Like 1