Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
whoareyaaa

Fans in attendance

4 minutes ago, grobyfox1990 said:

Wrong again, this part of the forum is actually about ‘fans in attendance’ at the football World Cup.

No, not wrong. This thread is about 'fans in attendance,' and it sits within the part of the forum that is about the world cup in Qatar. If I'd meant this thread specifically I would have said so.

7 minutes ago, grobyfox1990 said:

your moral ramblings are reduced to a empty stream of aimless rambles through a rambling megaphone at yourself as fifa and it’s partners collect your money 

😂

15 minutes ago, Manley Farrington-Brown said:

No, not wrong. This thread is about 'fans in attendance,' and it sits within the part of the forum that is about the world cup in Qatar. If I'd meant this thread specifically I would have said so.

😂

Wrong. This ‘part’ of the forum implies the thread you are referring to. If you’d have meant this sub forum specifically you’d have said so 

• Haha 1

Just now, Manley Farrington-Brown said:

My apologies. Of course you know far better than I do what I meant.

I glad we agree on something. Now grab your megaphone, switch the tv on, open up a coke, click on a World Cup related media article on the internet, pay for something using your Visa card and dust off those adidas trainers for a Sunday morning run. You’ve got a World Cup to fund

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

43 minutes ago, CosbehFox said:

but there’s no denial it’s ran like slavery

slavery "a condition of having to work very hard without proper remuneration or appreciation". Do they working hard? No .. controversial i know but  see guest workers on construction sites  in Qatar every day ! Yes they work in hot conditions but the work is done here by flooding the project with more workers than needed rather than each worker working strenuously. Can they leave the country of their own free will? Yes. Can they change jobs without the permission of their sponsor? Yes. Are they paid well no but economics of supply and demand dictates that the greater the supply of labor the lower is the equilibrium wage. This is why doctors are paid more than factory workers. And the low wage they receive by western standards is life changing in their home countries.  I know of guest workers that have spent 20 years in Qatar and their resultant wage has sent their children though the best universities in their own country and abroad or built comfortable homes for the family members that remain in their home country. Do they have poor living conditions? Yes and lets hope this is improved by all the attention from the WC. 

BTW holding hands and kissing in public for opposite sex couples is not problem here (as long as you don't go overboard) . Holding hands for same sex is no problem either as it is a sign of plutonic friendship. Being openly gay is no problem and there are a number of obviously effeminates Asia men on the street and they receive no discrimination i would suspect they are very much in demand given the low number of single females compared to single males in the country.

Anyway i did say before that i would post no more and i mean it this time. As i said before i do not defend Qatar i defend all the illinformed information circulating on the forums. Qatar has its problems as do most countries and by having the world cup here some of this issues have been improved and hopefully more will but the labourers here are far from slaves as is inferred in the British media.

time to concentrate on the footy me thinks!!!

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Manley Farrington-Brown said:

Well, it should be apparent from my posts that most of them are actually discussing apparent holes in other people's arguments rather than directly criticising either Qatar or the decision to hold the world cup there.

But you're right, I don't think the tournament should be there.

Why, you ask? Ok, off the top of my head I can list the dubious ('allegedly,' 'possibly' of course) financial shenanigans in the bidding process, the to-all-intents-and-purposes modern slavery inherent in the migrant worker system, the environmental impact of needing to build all the stadiums from scratch, the fact that it looks like the facilities for fans aren't quite ready even though the tournament is about to start, the high-handed disregard for agreements that were made, and the fact that it is both at the wrong time of year and still too hot.

Did you think the same about Russia in 2018? Very similar issues in that country, and they were also at war at the time.

Also ‘wrong time of the year’ ?!! What on earth does that mean? It’s a WORLD cup not a ‘pick the most convenient time for Europe to play and f4ck everyone else cup’ 

Also how do you square your beliefs with the fact your tax collected goes towards killing innocent people in Yemen? 

Ps, nothing personal lol, read a few of your posts on here and you seem like you like stirring the pot and I’m bored on Sunday morning Teams calls! 

• Like 2

Reading reports this morning that those that have booked in to stay at the fans village accommodation have been served up with rather disappointing facilities with very little air conditioning. Feel for those that have paid £175 per night to effectively stay in a plastic tent in the middle of the desert with only an oscillating fan to keep them cool. 

1 hour ago, grobyfox1990 said:

Did you think the same about Russia in 2018?

Yes. Absolutely.

Also ‘wrong time of the year’ ?!! What on earth does that mean? It’s a WORLD cup not a ‘pick the most convenient time for Europe to play and f4ck everyone else cup’

This was the most facetious item on my list. Although it is true that players, clubs, leagues and associations (and fans, not that anyone cares about them) around the world are used to world cups at the normal time and have established plans and systems for that.

Also how do you square your beliefs with the fact your tax collected goes towards killing innocent people in Yemen?

I can be angry about more than one thing at once and opposed to more than one thing at once.

Ps, nothing personal lol, read a few of your posts on here and you seem like you like stirring the pot and I’m bored on Sunday morning Teams calls! 

No actual pot stirring intended, my focus is usually on sarcastically mocking weak arguments when I see them, but I'll freely admit to not trying very hard to calm a pot if I see it being stirred...!

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, hackenbacker said:

slavery "a condition of having to work very hard without proper remuneration or appreciation". Do they working hard? No .. controversial i know but  see guest workers on construction sites  in Qatar every day ! Yes they work in hot conditions but the work is done here by flooding the project with more workers than needed rather than each worker working strenuously. Can they leave the country of their own free will? Yes. Can they change jobs without the permission of their sponsor? Yes. Are they paid well no but economics of supply and demand dictates that the greater the supply of labor the lower is the equilibrium wage. This is why doctors are paid more than factory workers. And the low wage they receive by western standards is life changing in their home countries.  I know of guest workers that have spent 20 years in Qatar and their resultant wage has sent their children though the best universities in their own country and abroad or built comfortable homes for the family members that remain in their home country. Do they have poor living conditions? Yes and lets hope this is improved by all the attention from the WC. 

BTW holding hands and kissing in public for opposite sex couples is not problem here (as long as you don't go overboard) . Holding hands for same sex is no problem either as it is a sign of plutonic friendship. Being openly gay is no problem and there are a number of obviously effeminates Asia men on the street and they receive no discrimination i would suspect they are very much in demand given the low number of single females compared to single males in the country.

Anyway i did say before that i would post no more and i mean it this time. As i said before i do not defend Qatar i defend all the illinformed information circulating on the forums. Qatar has its problems as do most countries and by having the world cup here some of this issues have been improved and hopefully more will but the labourers here are far from slaves as is inferred in the British media.

time to concentrate on the footy me thinks!!!

**** off.

• Thanks 3

On 17/11/2022 at 16:53, hackenbacker said:

I am going too and there is at least one more on this discussion group but i think he is staying with the England supporter group. if you need any directions etc let me know. If you want to meet let me know too. From the airport get the metro to DECC on the red line that will take you to the City Centre Mall. I live just down the road from it. 

Thanks for this. I’ll PM you!

4 minutes ago, westernpark said:

The poor individual(not you) has been brainwashed.

Or just proud of his nation. I’m not agreeing with him, his thoughts or anything Qatar stands for but I remember  how frustrating it was when I worked in the US and was being lectured about how bad things in the uk are by people who’d never been to the uk. I was called brainwashed a few times when I defended my country too. Well annoying. 

We can respectfully disagree with him but clearly it’s better having a resident discuss his views  on the forum without demeaning him when we don’t have a clue what’s going on there 

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, grobyfox1990 said:

Or just proud of his nation. I’m not agreeing with him, his thoughts or anything Qatar stands for but I remember  how frustrating it was when I worked in the US and was being lectured about how bad things in the uk are by people who’d never been to the uk. I was called brainwashed a few times when I defended my country too. Well annoying. 

We can respectfully disagree with him but clearly it’s better having a resident discuss his views  on the forum without demeaning him when we don’t have a clue what’s going on there 

Good grief, talk about the pot and the kettle from those you interacted with!

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, grobyfox1990 said:

I stand by my comments because their assertions contradicts the work of independent journalists, whom I would trust over someone with bias. However, I do hope they enjoy the World Cup, because some has to. 
Point noted on how frustrating they may find my comment, but I was particularly wound up by his first paragraph. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ian__marshall said:

Reading reports this morning that those that have booked in to stay at the fans village accommodation have been served up with rather disappointing facilities with very little air conditioning. Feel for those that have paid £175 per night to effectively stay in a plastic tent in the middle of the desert with only an oscillating fan to keep them cool. 

It doesn’t look great.  

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/63690765

Just unfinished, brown water from the sinks/showers. Plastic tents making unbearably it hot during the day, no shade in the fan zone. 

Edited by Livid

5 hours ago, westernpark said:

I stand by my comments because their assertions contradicts the work of independent journalists, whom I would trust over someone with bias. However, I do hope they enjoy the World Cup, because some has to. 
Point noted on how frustrating they may find my comment, but I was particularly wound up by his first independent 

Independent journalists... in the famous words of John McEnroe  "you cannot be serious"

5 hours ago, grobyfox1990 said:

Not my nation. I'm australian 

4 hours ago, lcfcfem said:

I am going out as a solo woman from the 28th just for 5 days.  Got tickets for Denmark v Australia  and England v wales matches and will try and get Belgium v Croatia one. I’ve lived in the Middle East and been Qatar a few times so I am used to how things are. Which is really nothing like what the media are saying. However, this is the World Cup, so maybe different. Staying on the cheapest cruise ship on an inside room which worked out cheaper than the premier inn !!!!  Looking forward to it. I will be the middle aged woman with my Leicester England gear and flags so if you see me come say hi. I know no one that’s  going at present, 

Who do you believe? A woman whose lived in the Middle East and has been Qatar or the mainstream media who will peddle whatever narrative that suits their many agendas?

• Like 2