Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Collymore

Southgate Out!

10 minutes ago, Corky said:

You do wonder whether a new face and voice might make a difference now. Nations League relegation means less appealing matches too.

To be fair drawing Finland, Montenegro and Kazakhstan in the Nations League will be great prep for the latter stages of the euros. 

59 minutes ago, Lionator said:

To be fair drawing Finland, Montenegro and Kazakhstan in the Nations League will be great prep for the latter stages of the euros. 

what a pointless tournament, internationals should be few and far between no need for all these games in between world cups and euros.

Qualifiers and Tournament should be enough maybe a few friendly's leading up to the tourney.

24 games against top 10 opponents (I know the rankings aren't great, but generally the better teams are near the top) and he's won 4. I accept games against top teams are less likely the bring positive results but equally its clear if we intend to push on to the next level, something has to change.

33 minutes ago, Legend_in_blue said:

Just seen the news.  Awesome.  Looking forward to seeing us add more world class countries to this already impressive set of wins...

FB_IMG_1671022291343.jpg

Why did this not carry onto 2002? 

Seems bit of a daft thing to use against Southgate considering he only been in charge since 2018 as well? 

1 hour ago, whoareyaaa said:

what a pointless tournament, internationals should be few and far between no need for all these games in between world cups and euros.

Qualifiers and Tournament should be enough maybe a few friendly's leading up to the tourney.

The Nations League is only pointless to the bigger nations who usually always qualify for tournaments. To everyone else, it's far from pointless.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Mark said:

How is it his decision? 🤦🏻‍♂️

He’s under contract until after Euro 24 and the FA want him to stay on. He clearly thought about resigning but decided to stay put instead.

• Like 1

I think the England setup needs a shake up. Hopefully this is something Southgate will initiate himself and we will see him looking beyond his immediate favourites. If we go into the Euro qualifiers with the same mentality and setup, i actually have concerns about getting through the group safely. First two games in March are Italy and Ukraine, and the Ukraine game is a potential banana skin. 

Guest Col city fan

I’m not at all surprised:

The issue is just as much about the nepotistic FA as anything else.

Southgate is up the arris of the FA

We tend to reward losers in the UK nowadays

On the plus side, we’ll qualify for the tournament with no problems.

On the negative side, we’ll see far more of Mason Mount and nothing of Maddison. And we’ll give praise to Southgate and the squad for ‘having a good go’ when we lose next time to a top international side.

It’s the English way 

Shame Southgate's decided to stay on really, not because I think he necessarily needs to go but just because I feel it'd be fair for him to leave with his head held high and respected as England's 2nd best, most successful in a few generations.

Also it's a shame because I was hoping it'd open a door of opportunity for Brendan Rodgers and give him his spot in the limelight that he really deserves.

2 hours ago, Chelmofox said:

I think the England setup needs a shake up. Hopefully this is something Southgate will initiate himself and we will see him looking beyond his immediate favourites. If we go into the Euro qualifiers with the same mentality and setup, i actually have concerns about getting through the group safely. First two games in March are Italy and Ukraine, and the Ukraine game is a potential banana skin. 

Southgate is a terrible manager.

I am in no doubt that we will qualify comfortably though.

It will just be another tournament where we go in as favourites and drift out in the quarters it semis.

1 hour ago, Matt said:

Shame Southgate's decided to stay on really, not because I think he necessarily needs to go but just because I feel it'd be fair for him to leave with his head held high and respected as England's 2nd best, most successful in a few generations.

Also it's a shame because I was hoping it'd open a door of opportunity for Brendan Rodgers and give him his spot in the limelight that he really deserves.

We’d end up with Southgate as his replacement. 

Guest Col city fan

This World Cup final shows really well that the England team haven’t really progressed at all. 
The Argies are making the French look a very very average side. Why? Because they have some good players but TACTICALLY, their manager has so far got it absolutely spot on.

Griezmann has done nothing, Mbappe has been rendered impotent. The French haven’t had a single shot.

What do we do? Praise Southgate and his team for having ‘progressed’. Stated that ‘it’ll be ours next time’ and allowed Southgate to manage the team for another tournament.

What a load of utter bollox. 
I genuinely don’t think I’ll see England win a tournament in my lifetime. 
Progress, my arse.