Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Collymore

Southgate Out!

The question remains is southgate a limited manager? He has not got England over the line despite several attempts. Why?

ok it’s not his fault kane fluffed it but I will say that the way England has started these games and continues to do so is troubling. He’s not learning that this is harmful and will eventually cost us as it did today.

He’s played England the right way from kick off only once and that was against Germany In the euros. Ahh I give up what’s the point…

4 minutes ago, cruzFOX said:

The question remains is southgate a limited manager? He has not got England over the line despite several attempts. Why?

ok it’s not his fault kane fluffed it but I will say that the way England has started these games and continues to do so is troubling. He’s not learning that this is harmful and will eventually cost us as it did today.

He’s played England the right way from kick off only once and that was against Germany In the euros. Ahh I give up what’s the point…

Honestly the performance today showed that he learnt from Italy tbh, the biggest area where I think criticism can be accepted was the subs tbh

• Thanks 1

You don’t really see world class manager doing international jobs anymore until end of their career. It’s most blokes through the FAs system or manager winding down their careers. 

Therefore you have to tailor expectation - there isn’t going to many appealing options for a new England manager 

3 minutes ago, dobbylcfc said:

Southgate isn’t a world class manager is he. Do you see clubs like Barca Real Madrid Bayern psg juve Man City ect knocking on the fa’s door and saying can we talk to Garth about being our manager ect.

International football management and club football management are two completely different things and require very different qualities. Hence we see some top club managers fail at international level and vice versa.

Fabio Capello for example won everything there is to win at club level, but was pretty shite at international level. Deschamps has had a pretty average club management career, yet has won the World Cup and the nations league.

Guest MarshallForEngland
7 minutes ago, StonyFox said:

It's the same old problems with Southgate. Come up against a team we're on a par with who have a better manager, and we come up short. 

He still relies on "favourites" too much. Bringing on mount and sterling who have done nothing for 6 months. Not giving maddison a single minute despite him being in better form than any other attacking midfielder in the squad. 

I also don't think he has the ability to change things during a game. I think the only time he changed formation all tournament was bringing on grealish for stones in the last minute. We saw it against Italy and Croatia when the ride was turning against us. 

Overall compared to previous managers, he has done a good job, but I can't see him ever taking us to that next level, and we have players to do that. He's only won the Toulon tournament with the under 21s, and got Middlesbrough relegated. He's not a winner.

Agree with this 100%, especially about not being able to change things during a game. He appears to have a single plan that he will carry out no matter what is actually happening on the pitch. If the opposition does something differently or better than he anticipated, or if part of our setup isn’t working as intended, he is unable to deviate from the original plan and sort it out. The subs in particular seem pre-determined and not based on how the game is panning out. I’m not saying a manager should be entirely reactive, but he should at least be able to respond in real-time to what’s going on. 

Guest Col city fan

I suspect that Southgate has the age-old managerial problem of simply being too nice. Watching him talk to the media, he’s really pleasant, talks well and is fully supportive of his favourite players. He bangs on about loyalty, players he can rely on, and all that.

The most successful football managers (maybe managers per se) have to have that ruthless streak about them. A point where being nice ends and being a bit of a narsty bar steward starts. 
When we went a goal down last night, I saw him on the touch line giving a ‘supportive clap’ to the lads and thought, would I massively push myself for him? I think I’d know that winning the game or not wouldn’t matter in terms of how Southgate would be with me. He’d still be all supportive even if we lost and even if I played badly.

I know that times have changed, but still the best managers I’ve worked for are those where I’ve wanted to do my best for myself AND for them. I’ve sought their praise and their attention. 
It’s charisma that can often be the final 5% that brings managerial success, or ‘leadership’ success. Didn’t Brian Clough say that?… football managers are all pretty much of a muchness in terms of what they do week-in and week-out. It’s the final 5% that makes the difference.

Southgate comes across as the type of bloke that you’d want to play for because you like him, but there’s no fear factor if you under-perform. There’s no bollocking coming. You’ll be fine with him however you play. 
I don’t get that impression with Guardiola or Klopp or even Arteta to be fair. I think they’d all be liable to really go off on one when they felt like it. Southgate is possibly just too nice.

We need a manager with passion like Klopp someone who is going to scream and point and shout until we are playing with some passion and desire for 90 minutes along with having a bit of tactical idea also, Southgate, Hodgson, Sven, Capello are not those types of managers esp with the talent we have available now.

Stuart Pearce would be a good option.

• Haha 2

Guest Col city fan
3 minutes ago, whoareyaaa said:

We need a manager with passion like Klopp someone who is going to scream and point and shout until we are playing with some passion and desire for 90 minutes along with having a bit of tactical idea also, Southgate, Hodgson, Sven, Capello are not those types of managers esp with the talent we have available now.

Stuart Pearce would be a good option.

Stuart Pearce!?

😂

4 minutes ago, Col city fan said:

Stuart Pearce!?

😂

That's a likely choice, he has been around the youth squads and has the passion that Southgate lacks imo.

from google : He was nicknamed "Psycho" for his unforgiving style of play :D that's exactly what we need.

Edited by whoareyaaa
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, Aus Fox said:

No England manager has done that in the history of English football. I don’t see that changing whoever is in charge.

And so they should with the team they have, ask me this we’re would southgate be if not England??? You would find his level then, no better then a championship manager tbf, certainly not an elite one, he has gotta go England need some  energy and passion and NOT an easy FA yes man 

Edited by Joe90lcfc

Guest Col city fan
5 minutes ago, Super_horns said:

Question is realistically who would come in ..?

The same arguments have already started I see and will now go round and round for the next few months.

The problem, as we all know, starts with the FA. Until that back-slapping monopoly is somehow taken apart, the same thing will happen if Southgate goes. Another yes man will be appointed, we’ll all hope ‘he’s the right man’ and then we’ll know he wasn’t when we crash and burn once more.

We won’t win a thing until the FA is willing to appoint someone who wants to do it ‘their way’ and be given the licence to do so. Even if this means some controversy, some disgruntlement and some bad press. 
But this won’t happen in my lifetime 

9 hours ago, Suzie the Fox said:

You thought tonight was boring? 

no tonight wasnt boring, but most of the games are, it would have been boring if we hadnt been forced to push for an equaliser though. second half we were better but still didnt manage to create anything but a couple of penalties and a wizzing shot from bellingham. we have so much raw talent at our disposal and hes playing so safe with it