Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Collymore

Southgate Out!

18 Months to the Euro's leave him in to the end of his contract.

Joachim Low won the world cup in his 4th tournament it'll be Southgate's.

I'm not a massive fan of Southgate, too conservative/cautious BUT the squad/team will be almost exclusively the same, I think the players know even after losing Saturday, there is no one to fear now, we have got a great squad for at least till the next world cup if not longer.  And actually (maybe by luck somehow) he actually arrived at the best starting 11.  He jettisoned Mount (who was bang out of form) and Saka for Sterling, and even Henderson was a decent pick (it generally worked) and much though we all thought Maguire was pants, he was fine in the world cup.  Generally good decision making (surprisingly).

He also knows how to deal with tournament football.

We just need some luck and no Brazilian ref and we'll be fine and very close again next time.

Edited by The boy Linacre
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, Lcfc82 said:

Oh yeah he’s a good manager but the FA will want a yes man. In the same mould as Southgate 

I agree, I think the whole episode will reveal the answer to the question, are England always bridesmaids.

Tuchel could be the difference. I truly believe he could win England a trophy.

Would probably mean more Mount-ball mind lol 

IF he goes (and I'm not convinced he will), the big question will be how much the FA wants an English manager to replace him. Obviously it would prefer an English manager, but how much of a deal breaker would it be? The two obvious choices are Potter and Howe, neither of whom are likely to be available. Appointing a foreign manager would be the only way of obtaining an elite coach, but that might be a bit embarrassing for the FA given how much money it is throwing at developing home-grown coaches at St George's Park. Or would it really go for Tuchel or Pochettino? Would it compromise on a non-English Brit like Cooper or Rodgers? It's complicated, which is why I think the FA will be begging Southgate to stay at least until 2024 so they've got more time to sort it out...

Edited by ClaphamFox

If Southgate says he is conflicted about staying, then its really time to go. In this job, unless you are raring to go then its going to swallow you up. The euro 2024 qualifying group has some potential banana skins in it, including a Ukraine who got very close to WC qualification and a North Macedonia that beat Italy.  He will need to be on top of his game to get through it, and be prepared to mix up his favourites. 

Whilst i like what he has done to get us playing as a team, i do feel its all got a bit too nice lately, and that leads into him picking his favourites over those in form. I still can't get my head around bringing Sterling on against France. However, the good work Southgate did on the team structure should be used as a baseline to who ever comes in next. In terms of this, if we don't go for an English manager then we should be looking at one who has won top honours in the Premier league. For me, the standout would be Tuchel. I just don't think Potter is anywhere near ready.

But this is the FA, so looking forward to a Dyche appointment and us not getting through the 2024 group.

1 hour ago, st albans fox said:

There was a report today that the FA are keen to have a British coach if Southgate leaves ……. Not an English coach ……a British coach…..

how many Welsh, n Irish or Scottish coaches would be in the running ……..

Not many. And I think Rodgers would be sorely tempted if they came calling.

36 minutes ago, ClaphamFox said:

Not many. And I think Rodgers would be sorely tempted if they came calling.

Can’t see them paying his release clause. And I think rodgers would prefer the day to day of club football but oh, the smell of that job would surely be too much to turn down …..he could cover himself in another coating of chocolate and lick it all off again! 

Guest Col city fan
3 hours ago, foxfanazer said:

Keep him in the England job as I have a horrible epiphany that he's gonna be our next boss 

I don’t think Southgate would do a bad job as Leicester manager. In fact, we know how he’d do.

He’d bring through more of the youth, he’d stop the defensive frailties and he’d sign some decent players.

But he’d also bore us to tears with his style of play and I suspect we’d finish safely around lower to mid table each season.

It all depends what people want as football fans really.

One thing you can’t say under Rodgers is that it’s been dull as a City fan! You never know how we’re going to perform from each bloody week!

Guest Col city fan
10 minutes ago, Sharpe's Fox said:

I listened to this earlier today and thought Jordan was absolutely spot on.

He’s an arrogant bar steward sometimes but I generally agree with what he says. This was a prime example 

Danny Mills talks utter crap each week. Too many pundits keep saying he's created "happy camp" happy yes but "unsuccessful" I'm sure during Danny Mills Liverpool days. If  his side had never won the fa cup, league cup, champions league and the uefa cup. He wouldn't have said "ooh bit it was happy camp" who cares its about winning things. Mills would have said "it was good camp but we should have won things"

14 hours ago, Sharpe's Fox said:

I literally can't watch that. I find it depressing that Simon Jordan even works that show to be honest, I don't know if I just get "lucky" when I see these videos but he always seems to talk a massive amount of sense. Seems a very intelligent man. 

Watching him try and debate Mills is like that old adage, never argue with an idiot. He'll bring you down to his level and beat you with experience. 

Edited by Finnegan
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, Col city fan said:

I don’t think Southgate would do a bad job as Leicester manager. In fact, we know how he’d do.

He’d bring through more of the youth, he’d stop the defensive frailties and he’d sign some decent players.

But he’d also bore us to tears with his style of play and I suspect we’d finish safely around lower to mid table each season.

It all depends what people want as football fans really.

One thing you can’t say under Rodgers is that it’s been dull as a City fan! You never know how we’re going to perform from each bloody week!

An English puel! 

25 minutes ago, Leicesterpool said:

Danny Mills talks utter crap each week. Too many pundits keep saying he's created "happy camp" happy yes but "unsuccessful" I'm sure during Danny Mills Liverpool days. If  his side had never won the fa cup, league cup, champions league and the uefa cup. He wouldn't have said "ooh bit it was happy camp" who cares its about winning things. Mills would have said "it was good camp but we should have won things"

Do you mean Danny Mills Man City days, or Danny Murphys Liverpool days? Mills never played for Liverpool.

15 hours ago, Legend_in_blue said:

Considering Yes Man's track record in penalty taking decision making, I am still at a loss as to why he allowed Kane to take the second penalty.  It's weak management yet again.  The bloke just doesn't learn.  It's beyond stupid.

Why on Earth would Kane not take the second penalty?

That's just pure hindsight. He's (by a mile) the best penalty taker England have.

• Like 4

Guest Col city fan
1 hour ago, AKCJ said:

Why on Earth would Kane not take the second penalty?

That's just pure hindsight. He's (by a mile) the best penalty taker England have.

Absolutely right. Who else was ever going to take that second penalty?

It was nerves and stress that caused Kane to blaze it over, as he knew it was game over if he missed.

But that, sadly, has been the history of English international football. At that moment when it ‘really’ matters, mentally we implode.

God knows why. Whichever manager we’ve had, whether they be Mr Nice Guy Southgate, Mr Motivation Keegan, or Mr Silly Venables, the same outcome has arisen.

It’s perplexing and very very frustrating as an England fan.