Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
KingsX

Spain vs Morocco - Round of 16, 6 December

Spain coach Luis Enrique gave his team a unique assignment following a penalty shootout loss to Italy at last year’s European Championship.

“I told my players they have homework ahead of the World Cup. You need to take at least 1,000 penalties with your club,” Luis Enrique recounted Monday. “We can’t just work on it in our training camp.”

596909659_brightidea.JPG.a1bb16ce752b6a955505d09ce8eccde3.JPG

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Fox in the North said:

Spain have had a mare tonight, but they will be back for sure. They’ve got a promising young group of players. What a result from Morocco though, living the World Cup dream!

Two draws and two wins against Croatia, Spain, Belgium and Canada. Fair play Morocco. Didn't see that one coming.

• Like 1

Morocco's defensive performance was outstanding, but feel it's probably going to have taken it out of them to go another round so think Portugal will end up in the semis now. Some night for them.

Spain got less and less convincing the longer this went on. I fancied them after the first game, not just from that but I thought they played well in the Euros for the most part as well and were pretty unlucky. But they've just not been all that good really. They've gotten worse by the game. Three penalty exits in a row for them as well.

1 minute ago, Matt said:

Well Done Morocco.

Fucking delighted!

There are too many football snobs whereby they believe there is only one way to play the game.

For Spain's 77% possession and 1050 passes that people so passionately want to rub one off over - They had 2 shots on target - This is not the game I fell in love with.

Compared to Morocco's 23% and 3 shots on target.

Sounds familiar.

But on average, the team with the most possession does win. If you look at all games and stats over the globe. Of course this is an amazing result and I love a smash and grab but generally the team with the ball wins. 

20 minutes ago, RumbleFox said:

But on average, the team with the most possession does win. If you look at all games and stats over the globe. Of course this is an amazing result and I love a smash and grab but generally the team with the ball wins. 

Not when we won the PL :P

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, marbles said:

You may enjoy teams that try to win 0-0, but I don’t.

As opposed to 77% possession, 2 shots on target (Less than the opposition) and 1050 passes winning 0-0?

2 hours ago, KingsX said:

74% possession, one shot on goal.

Incredible that it's lauded isn't it. Incredible.

34 minutes ago, RumbleFox said:

Not making this about ourselves but the research I did on our games last season suggests we're better with less possession. I'd argue many other teams are the same, which begs the question, why are teams so obsessed with this particular style. You only have to look at certain comments on this thread alone re; 'Anti-football', as someone quite rightly pointed out, a resilient strong defence is so so important (It makes me laugh when Pep and Klopp claim the opposition 'didn't play how they wanted to play', I'm sorry? Isn't that the idea? Make it hard for the opposition? Do a job?), for the record I don't have a problem with high possession stats per se, I have a problem with high possession stats where a team does absolutely **** all with. 2 shots on target for 77% possession is just a disgrace, pathetic, passing the ball for passing sake doing nothing positive is anti-football.

Personally, there is a threshold, you can have too much possession, usually probably around the 55-60% area, which is a problem we quite often find and is quite often my issue.

For example, there have been 4 'upsets' in this tournament. They have all come where the 'dominant' team had had around/over 70% possession.

Argentina 1-2 Saudi Arabia. 69% possession Argentina.

Germany 1-2 Japan. 74% possession Germany.

Japan 2-1 Spain. 82% possession Spain.

Morocco 0-0 Spain. 77% possession Spain.

Having so much possession - Is it any wonder it's hard to break the opposition down? I mean you're kind of helping them in their aim and that is what I mean where I say you can have too much possession. If you're good enough and they're so 'bad', let them have some of the ball, they're not gonna hurt you, you'll be able to punish them.

Edited by Matt
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, KingsX said:

Inconceivable yet seemingly true.  Enrique put all the burden of their recent history onto frail shoulders.

1452486766_Spainpens.JPG.532907502126e62b79dd9844d3aa6c9e.JPG

Once it gets to a penalty shootout, the burden is firmly on the shoulders of the penalty takers. Enrique didn’t put it there, it’s just how it is. For them to not score once in a penalty shootout, the blame lands solely on the takers.