Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Wymsey

Also in the News - Part 2

5 hours ago, iniesta said:

Is the NHS underfunded - or managed badly? They seem to get a lot of money. 

Managed badly.

Too many managers. Even when I sit at a hospital the amount of people wandering about. Not actually sure what they do. 

8 hours ago, Zear0 said:

UK conservatism has traditionally been more left than global conservatives.  It's a bit daft to just cherry pick social policies when economically they're about the most right-wing in the world (see below).

Regarding social policies that are right wing:

• Minimum service level bill (anti-strike bill).  I'd say this is both economical and social as it's a attach on individuals rights.
  • 2 child welfare cap that literally puts children into poverty.
  • Rwanda...
  • Crime and policing bill
  • Health and care act removing the requirement for the NHS to provide care for all (privitisation)

Just because we're not as far right as Italy, Poland or Hungary does not mean we're some left leaning nation.  By practically any measure, this is the most right-wing government in living memory. 

https://www.ft.com/content/d5f1d564-8c08-4711-b11d-9c6c7759f2b8

Chart showing that the Conservatives have become completely unmoored from the British public on economics, and are way out of step even with their own voters

Chart showing that the Tories are now the most economically right-wing major party in the developed world

I would argue that the shift from Truss has been reversed now that Sunak has taken charge making the conservatives a more normal right wing party now.

2 hours ago, urban.spaceman said:

Looks to be from one of the ones the Met decided that there wasn't enough evidence for:

1729.jpg?width=620&quality=45&dpr=2&s=no

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2022/nov/11/shaun-bailey-met-police-tory-lockdown-event

Bailey was also given a life peerage by Johnson last week.

God that looks like the shittest uni halls christmas party you attended as a fresher.

4 hours ago, Fox92 said:

Managed badly.

Too many managers. Even when I sit at a hospital the amount of people wandering about. Not actually sure what they do. 

I’m going to let my wife know that (although she’s been doing two and a half jobs since Covid, with the associated hours) you need to be continually updated as to their responsibilities so you can check they are up to any given task. I’ve explained that you’re the living embodiment of NHS Yelp, so you’re good to go. :thumbup:

• Like 1

23 hours ago, ozleicester said:

I feel sorry for people / events like this which are clearly no risk to children.  Ruined sadly by a small number of events which were clearly not appropriate and got spread around the internet, and then the backlash against those who rightly pointed this out.  Both sides of the debate then go OTT and you get one nation types and Christian nutjobs with placards.

Sunak: “There will be integrity, professionalism and accountability at every level of the government I lead and I will work day in and day out to get the job done.”

Also Sunak: *skips today's vote*

1 hour ago, The Doctor said:

Section 28 is back then, **** safeguarding, we've got a culture war to fight.

Like, let's be quite clear - when kids ask teachers to keep things in confidence from their parents, it's because the kid knows they are at risk of abuse at home if the parents know. Mandating that parents are informed if the kid says anything will increase abuse rates and increase youth homelessness. 

Anti-trans and anti-immigrant stuff is all the Tories have left. They're finished, it's going to get really nasty in the lead up to the next election. Labour just need to focus and let their policies do the talking. After all, selling a better future will be a lot more powerful than just projecting images of nightmares constantly.

• Like 1

Like, let's be quite clear - when kids ask teachers to keep things in confidence from their parents, it's because the kid knows they are at risk of abuse at home if the parents know. Mandating that parents are informed if the kid says anything will increase abuse rates and increase youth homelessness. 

So you are ok with schools affirming something which parents disagree with or are unaware of?  Bloody hell.  You are completely mad.  You think institutions are better placed to make decisions which protect kids?  Hello?  Have you been living under a rock for the last 50 years?

• Sad 1

4 minutes ago, Jon the Hat said:

So you are ok with schools affirming something which parents disagree with or are unaware of?  Bloody hell.  You are completely mad.  You think institutions are better placed to make decisions which protect kids?  Hello?  Have you been living under a rock for the last 50 years?

Just say you don't like the concept of safeguarding and go. I've already explained my problem with this monstrous policy 

• Like 3

It's funny when I first read the government proposal it made sense that schools should get parental permission. They have to get parental permission for everything else. Then I read your comment and realised of course not all parents are like me and some will react badly to their child being trans.

Then you balance those two arguments out and there is no logical solution. You can't ask schools and teachers to maintain one identity of a pupil within the school and a separate identity with the parents of the child. It's not like coming out, there would be no cause for a teacher to discuss the sexual preference of a child. 

If a teacher started calling Tommy Sarah and using female pronouns, but then still have to call them Tommy to their parents and send home their homework with Tommy written on it but give it out to Sarah. Remember to always use the right pronouns depending on company. How would they then prevent the parents finding out from other parents of other kids. How would you allow/enforce uniform change without the parents knowing?

I think a pupil approaching a teacher in confidence about how they might be trans and a teacher helping to arrange someone to talk to is one thing. That should be told to the parents by the pupil on their own terms. However enacting any sort of change on a pupil's identity, names, pronouns, uniforms without parental consent is just creating an impossible situation for teachers.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Captain... said:

I think a pupil approaching a teacher in confidence about how they might be trans and a teacher helping to arrange someone to talk to is one thing. That should be told to the parents by the pupil on their own terms. However enacting any sort of change on a pupil's identity, names, pronouns, uniforms without parental consent is just creating an impossible situation for teachers.

It seems madness to me. By all means provide children with all the information they need, but it's not schools/teachers jobs to "fix" children's personal issues. They are there to teach kids abc's and maths. Better to have laws and facilities to deal with shite parents, of which there are many. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, The Doctor said:

Hopefully, only for the next year-ish.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Innovindil said:

It seems madness to me. By all means provide children with all the information they need, but it's not schools/teachers jobs to "fix" children's personal issues. They are there to teach kids abc's and maths. Better to have laws and facilities to deal with shite parents, of which there are many. 

Teachers aren't there to fix kids personal issues, but they have a duty of care, and that means not informing parents of things the child has told you without the child's consent, particularly where you can reasonably believe that disclosing may put the child at risk (which this does. Youth homelessness rate is higher for LGBT youth than non LGBT youth and that's driven by familial rejection)

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, The Doctor said:

Teachers aren't there to fix kids personal issues, but they have a duty of care, and that means not informing parents of things the child has told you without the child's consent, particularly where you can reasonably believe that disclosing may put the child at risk (which this does. Youth homelessness rate is higher for LGBT youth than non LGBT youth and that's driven by familial rejection)

Unfortunately you're making the mistake that at least some people involved in this matter actually care at all about that and instead simply view it as fair societal cost of maintaining "traditional family values" and parents having near to absolute autonomy on such matters.

• Like 1