Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Wymsey

Also in the News - Part 2

2 hours ago, The Doctor said:

https://inews.co.uk/news/world/missing-titanic-sub-structural-concerns-2423409

Can probably get a good guess what happened then, and it's pretty unpleasant 

As worst case scenario outcomes, this would be my preferred in all honesty. Maybe this is a bit morbid but I’d much prefer to be exposed to the kind of pressure a structural failure would present and have it over swiftly, than be cramped with 4 others at the bottom of the ocean waiting to die.

14 minutes ago, Trumpet said:

As worst case scenario outcomes, this would be my preferred in all honesty. Maybe this is a bit morbid but I’d much prefer to be exposed to the kind of pressure a structural failure would present and have it over swiftly, than be cramped with 4 others at the bottom of the ocean waiting to die.

In all seriousness same. The reality is at this point they're unlikely to be found alive, having drifted so far from the original site and with so little reserve oxygen. I'd sooner a quick death than slow asphyxiation 

4 hours ago, SeCrEt FoX said:

My thoughts too. Also would decompression sickness play a factor here? I mean if the only got a limited oxygen surely they need saving ASAP but can't bring them up too quickly because of the risk of the bends. It doesn't look good. They got to be located, somehow attach some sort of lifting device and bring them up. Gonna take a while just to do all that. 

They wouldn't get the bends from surfacing in a submarine like this one.

47 minutes ago, urban.spaceman said:

Had me in the first half I’m not gonna lie. 

I saw part of that BBC interview and he is a scary individual.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Tuna said:

I saw part of that BBC interview and he is a scary individual.

Don't know about anyone else, but he comes across as slightly psychotic personally..

9 hours ago, The Doctor said:

https://inews.co.uk/news/world/missing-titanic-sub-structural-concerns-2423409

Can probably get a good guess what happened then, and it's pretty unpleasant 

More coming out about this now. It turns out that the director of marine operations was sacked in 2018 for raising safety concerns about the carbon fibre hull of the submersible. A depressing picture of corporate arrogance and negligence seems to be emerging…

Whistleblower fired

• Like 1

17 hours ago, ClaphamFox said:

How on earth do you know that? Do you know him personally? Or do you just assume that anybody who doesn’t unquestioningly accept every facet of trans theology must be part of the ‘Christian right’? (Hint: the large majority of people who have concerns about how this stuff, in the UK at least, are neither Christian nor right-wing).

You may have seen this audio clip that has been doing the rounds over the past couple of days. It was recorded at Rye College in East Sussex on Friday and shows a teacher becoming completely deranged because a couple of female students dare to challenge her on trans issues. When parents hear teachers aggressively push a particular viewpoint and trying to shut down discussion with threats, naturally they will have concerns. At the beginning of the clip, they are discussing a pupil in the class who identifies as a cat, but then they go on to discuss gender.

Ive read what he has written over a period of time... he may not be a puritanical christian (Im pretty sure hes admitted to being right wing, but thats fine people can be that as long as they dont want to oppress others as a result) but he writes with, and has the attitudes of one.

I have watched several young beautiful people, die due to comments, opinions and attitudes like his. Beautiful people who did more for a decent caring society in their very short lives than most of those who preach about their hatefilled "love" will ever do.

I have watched as people who harmed no-one, people who didnt care about your politics, your change rooms your sons or daughters, your sports, your race or your GOD! .....beautiful people who just want to live their lives as the people they feel they are the same way you do...who were driven to suicide.

Ive watched their friends and families be destroyed by outright ignorance and evil cloaked in "morals" leading to their painful deaths

But too many cvnts in our world want to tell them who they are... its NONE OF YOUR BUSINESS and YOU are killing them. You dont know that person and you have no right to tell them who they are and how they should live.

Everyone should have the right to be themselves, to use your phrasing the "vast majority" of Trans people want nothing more than to live the best life they can and the "vast majority" of anti trans people who "have concerns about this stuff "are just hatefilled blind bigots.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

9 hours ago, worth_the_wait said:

I would've thought that thinking you go from from Hydrogen, Helium, a few "metals" and some dust to life, by random quantum fluctuation and chemical iterations, is as big a leap of faith, as believing in god!     (Not that I'm necessarily saying god exists, by the way ... just not ruling it out.)

Not particularly, there's at least evidence of a theoretical pathway for the former. Though I get the argument - it does seem incredibly unlikely, but then countless trillions of iterations happening over billions of years give the odds that something unusual will happen, just through chance.

Not sure how much I can go into this so I'll keep it brief anyway - I don't rule out the idea of some supreme entity either, just the organised religious idea of paying homage to it, coupled with the idea that it would actually care in the slightest about our species above others, and not simply just be running the universe with the laws it generated, seeing as there's no evidence for that at all.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ozleicester said:

Ive read what he has written over a period of time... he may not be a puritanical christian (Im pretty sure hes admitted to being right wing, but thats fine people can be that as long as they dont want to oppress others as a result) but he writes with, and has the attitudes of one.

I have watched several young beautiful people, die due to comments, opinions and attitudes like his. Beautiful people who did more for a decent caring society in their very short lives than most of those who preach about their hatefilled "love" will ever do.

I have watched as people who harmed no-one, people who didnt care about your politics, your change rooms your sons or daughters, your sports, your race or your GOD! .....beautiful people who just want to live their lives as the people they feel they are the same way you do...who were driven to suicide.

Ive watched their friends and families be destroyed by outright ignorance and evil cloaked in "morals" leading to their painful deaths

But too many cvnts in our world want to tell them who they are... its NONE OF YOUR BUSINESS and YOU are killing them. You dont know that person and you have no right to tell them who they are and how they should live.

Everyone should have the right to be themselves, to use your phrasing the "vast majority" of Trans people want nothing more than to live the best life they can and the "vast majority" of anti trans people who "have concerns about this stuff "are just hatefilled blind bigots.

It's very sad that you have lost people you care for, and I am sorry for your loss.  However, you do not get to use this to condemn people who disagree with you, or to dismiss the concerns of many people who rightly see that not everyone is the lovely people, that there are many nasty ****ers out there who have and will continue to exploit the situation.  You also don't get to ignore the reality of how the no doubt well intentioned policies are implemented.  We have the right to call out poorly thought-out ideas, unfairness and utter nonsense when we see it.

For the record I reject your assertion that I have the attitudes of the puritanical Christians.  Utter nonsense.  Your attempts to tar everyone you disagree with make you look foolish.  

15 minutes ago, Jon the Hat said:

It's very sad that you have lost people you care for, and I am sorry for your loss.  However, you do not get to use this to condemn people who disagree with you, or to dismiss the concerns of many people who rightly see that not everyone is the lovely people, that there are many nasty ****ers out there who have and will continue to exploit the situation.  You also don't get to ignore the reality of how the no doubt well intentioned policies are implemented.  We have the right to call out poorly thought-out ideas, unfairness and utter nonsense when we see it.

For the record I reject your assertion that I have the attitudes of the puritanical Christians.  Utter nonsense.  Your attempts to tar everyone you disagree with make you look foolish.  

I'm sorry, Jon, but I've heard this said a few times now and the reply is the same: sympathy without backing meaningful action is utterly pointless in the same way folks go on about "thoughts and prayers" every time there's a school shooting Stateside, and such hollow sympathy is no better than no sympathy at all, IMO.

Edit: That being said, anyone on here should probably gather that you're not religious and that's not driving your worldview on this matter, so I can understand the response there.

Edited by leicsmac

6 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

I'm sorry, Jon, but I've heard this said a few times now and the reply is the same: sympathy without backing meaningful action is utterly pointless in the same way folks go on about "thoughts and prayers" every time there's a school shooting Stateside, and such hollow sympathy is no better than no sympathy at all, IMO.

So what then, because something tragic happened no one can talk about anything?  Makes no sense and feels like further attempt to use whataboutery to stop the reasoned debate.

4 minutes ago, Jon the Hat said:

So what then, because something tragic happened no one can talk about anything?  Makes no sense and feels like further attempt to use whataboutery to stop the reasoned debate.

Absolutely not: people can talk about whatever they wish.

However, they can also be called out - accurately - on the points made above. Whether they choose to then further elaborate is up to them. not the person who called them out (provided the challenge was indeed accurate and relevant, not an ad hominem).

Edited by leicsmac
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, leicsmac said:

Absolutely not: people can talk about whatever they wish.

However, they can also be called out - accurately - on the points made above. Whether they choose to then further elaborate is up to them. not the person who called them out.

He literally made zero points, just projected the exact hate filled bile he is accusing me of.

1 minute ago, Jon the Hat said:

He literally made zero points, just projected the exact hate filled bile he is accusing me of.

I'll be honest, I can't defend the (IMO) inaccurate points made - especially about what's driving your motivation on this matter, as per my edit above.

However, I do hope my own points are sound.

1 minute ago, leicsmac said:

I'll be honest, I can't defend the (IMO) inaccurate points made - especially about what's driving your motivation on this matter, as per my edit above.

However, I do hope my own points are sound.

Yes very much so.  I don't think any of us have all the answers here.  

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Jon the Hat said:

Yes very much so.  I don't think any of us have all the answers here.  

That's true, and I think everyone including myself is guilty of at least some element of hollow sympathy.

3 minutes ago, ClaphamFox said:

The BBC live feed is reporting on ‘banging sounds’ being picked up in the area the sub disappeared…

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/world-us-canada-65953941

Hopefully they can find it before time runs out, but the logistics of an actual rescue op before that time is... going to be difficult.

6 hours ago, ClaphamFox said:

More coming out about this now. It turns out that the director of marine operations was sacked in 2018 for raising safety concerns about the carbon fibre hull of the submersible. A depressing picture of corporate arrogance and negligence seems to be emerging…

Whistleblower fired

Doing that and sending it down anyway... Its not nice to say but if it hadn't gone down with a full compliment of passengers you'd be wondering about insurance fraud with this level of intentional negligence 

• Like 1