Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Wymsey

Also in the News - Part 2

I just can’t get it out of my head how they must be feeling right now. It’s really dragging me down thinking about it. So sodding sad and why was it ever allowed to happen with all the problems that are now coming to light. Just tragic. 

• Like 4

The sub lost contact an hour and three/quarters into its dive which meant it hadn't reached the titanic, apparently the banging wasn't banging but just noise, and considering the veiwing window was only safe to 1800 metres and the story of one of the directors being sacked after a meeting that involved quality/ integrity checks and tests being refused, i get the feeling that something catastrophic has happened on it's descent.

Guest Mee-9

Pussyman Dan summing up everyones ideas on this. 

Leicester is the place. 

Edited by Mee-9

34 minutes ago, yorkie1999 said:

The sub lost contact an hour and three/quarters into its dive which meant it hadn't reached the titanic, apparently the banging wasn't banging but just noise, and considering the veiwing window was only safe to 1800 metres and the story of one of the directors being sacked after a meeting that involved quality/ integrity checks and tests being refused, i get the feeling that something catastrophic has happened on it's descent.

It wouldn't have reached the Titanic at that point but communication issues with this sub are something that's happened in the past: https://www.mirror.co.uk/tv/tv-news/titanic-tourist-says-submarine-lost-30278812

So not necessarily indicative of a critical failure at that point

Edited by The Doctor

32 minutes ago, yorkie1999 said:

Have they confirmed this? Because most media outlets still seem to be focusing heavily on the banging noises. It would also be a surprise if random ocean noise occurred at precise 30 minute intervals...

39 minutes ago, Suzie the Fox said:

I just can’t get it out of my head how they must be feeling right now. It’s really dragging me down thinking about it. So sodding sad and why was it ever allowed to happen with all the problems that are now coming to light. Just tragic. 

Yeah, it's pretty grim when you think about it. Being trapped in a tin can at the bottom of the ocean. They probably know deep down (excuse the pun) that a rescue is unlikely.

• Sad 1

10 minutes ago, stripeyfox said:

Yeah, it's pretty grim when you think about it. Being trapped in a tin can at the bottom of the ocean. They probably know deep down (excuse the pun) that a rescue is unlikely.

Can't believe you're punning at such a time, the depths that some people will sink to. 

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, ClaphamFox said:

Have they confirmed this? Because most media outlets still seem to be focusing heavily on the banging noises. It would also be a surprise if random ocean noise occurred at precise 30 minute intervals...

Guessing they're referring to this:

https://news.sky.com/story/serious-safety-concerns-over-titan-submersible-had-been-met-with-hostility-claims-former-oceangate-employee-12906651

Although as you say, random ocean noise wouldn't be so synchronised, so I'd expect negative in this case means they've been unable to locate from sonobuoys, not it's been confirmed as random ocean noise 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, stripeyfox said:

Yeah, it's pretty grim when you think about it. Being trapped in a tin can at the bottom of the ocean.

Never works out well for tuna, pink salmon or sardines. 

1 hour ago, FoxesDeb said:

While I agree that should it become a recovery operation I would like to see their bodies retrieved, given that the migrant boat went down in Greek waters with potentially upwards of 500 souls, I would rather see them retrieved before these. If the world has the resources to retrieve 5 millionnaires from the result of their decision to take a frivolous risk for their own pleasure, it also has by default the same resources to retrieve the bodies of those who met their fate trying to better their lives and those of their families.

Agree entirely - and I don't think that anyone in their right mind wouldn't.

It's also quite harsh in that the two are unrelated events. 'Frivolous' acts of folly such as this can only attract the wealthy are beyond the means of most of us. You could argue that the money could be better spent, but you'll also find that many of these millionaires are also philanthropic and altruistic. They are also explorers with an inveterate curiosity. When you look at Hamish Harding, you can't really brand him a tourist or a passenger in respect of something like this. What he actually is an individual with the hunger to try new things ad be active, meaningful, contributing participant as he was on the 'One Last Orbit' project. He has also traversed the Challenger Deep at the bottom of the Mariana trench. He was also the first Brit to fly into space on Blue Origin's New Shepherd. Paul-Henry Nargeolet was the pilot and the world's leading expert on the Titanic in the diving world and heads up underwater research for RMS Titanic, Inc, which owns salvaging rights for the wreck.  Stockton Rush is the founder of OceanGate - and actually is liable having ignored the internal and external advisories/concerns over the safety and integrity of the vessel. Really, it is Shahzada Dawood and his son that are the paying 'passengers' and I can''t imagine what their family is enduring right now. The terrible tragedy of the migrant boat in Greek waters is as I say, a separate event whilst this has commercial interests and backing, but as others have commented, the disproportionate coverage in the media is a sad indictment not only of the press, but what appeals to our fascination which is why the story sells and generates more clicks. 

With the resources behind OceanGate however, recovery will be their primary concern though, and in addition to returning the bodies of the deceased to their families, they will also wish to understand what went wrong. 

Incidentally, I don't think that 'tourism' or paying civilians have any place in the depths of the ocean or in space, irrespective of training. There is a tragedy in the making with Blue Origin and Virgin Galactic's ludicrous ballistic roller coaster rides, whilst the dearMoon project is nothing short of horrifying. 

Edited by Line-X
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, OwnGoal said:

If they save them I just know the film will be out next year. As the potential to be harder viewing than both the Thai Cave rescue film and that Netflix movie where the two girls climb that massive phone mast thingy. The anxiety of watching them pair was bad. This will be next level. 

Reminds me somewhat of the old John Mills film Morning Departure. A gritty film without the expected ending. The film was released just after a real life peacetime submarine disaster and is paid tribute to by the producers