Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Wymsey

Also in the News - Part 2

1 hour ago, whoareyaaa said:

Well this is almost certainly complete bollocks. Whatever the shortcomings of the submersible, I'm sure the window was designed for the depth and the fact it had completed previous voyages to the wreck would seem to back this up. 

6 minutes ago, stripeyfox said:

Well this is almost certainly complete bollocks. Whatever the shortcomings of the submersible, I'm sure the window was designed for the depth and the fact it had completed previous voyages to the wreck would seem to back this up. 

It sullies the good name of complete bollocks. Pure good old boys hillbilly moonshine. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Bellend Sebastian said:

My wife just said that they'd all been rescued.  "That's exciting, when did you hear this?"

"This morning".

Someone's not been paying attention again

Us or your wife? :D

59 minutes ago, stripeyfox said:

It's been mentioned on several sources that the window isn't rated for the depth that they were going to.

It's an unregulated industry so anything goes - you just sign a load of disclaimers.

It's actually amazing how crappy the submersible is. It's ballast is just some construction piping strapped to the side. It's controlled by a PS2 controller and the guy running the show thinks safety rules and equipment just get in the way of things. 

The thing has literally been cobbled together with stuff you can buy from the equivalent of pc world and b&q.

The onboard toilet is a jug and cut up plastic milk carton which you use like a funnel.

Edited by Grebfromgrebland

3 minutes ago, Grebfromgrebland said:

It's been mentioned on several sources that the window isn't rated for the depth that they were going to.

It's an unregulated industry so anything goes - you just sign a load of disclaimers.

It's actually amazing how crappy the submersible is. It's ballast is just some construction piping strapped to the side. It's controlled by a PS2 controller and the guy running the show thinks safety rules and equipment just get in the way of things. 

The thing has literally been cobbled together with stuff you can buy from the equivalent of pc world and b&q.

The onboard toilet is a jug and cut up plastic milk carton which you use like a funnel.

You'd have thought, especially after the MH70 incident, it'd be a legal requirement for some kind of tracking device to be installed as standard.

It can't be that hard, or that expensive. It's technology that's in wireless headphones. Although, granted, it'd have to be more powerful for something thousands of metres under the ocean, but still.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, tom27111 said:

You'd have thought, especially after the MH70 incident, it'd be a legal requirement for some kind of tracking device to be installed as standard.

It can't be that hard, or that expensive. It's technology that's in wireless headphones. Although, granted, it'd have to be more powerful for something thousands of metres under the ocean, but still.

GPS doesn't work deep underwater apparently, sonar or something though surely.

Edited by ealingfox
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, UniFox21 said:

What's unnerved me is the number of different extract's of interviews telling us how loud it is in the ocean

What is making the noise?

This is from the BBC live report:

News that noises have been picked up in the hunt for a missing submersible has offered a glimmer of hope that the five men on board are alive.

Frank Owen, from the Submarine Institute of Australia, says he is confident - based on the information available - the sounds are coming from inside the vessel.

"If there was a 30-minute interval, it's very unlikely to be anything but human related," he told the BBC.

Frank says the noises "smack of advice" coming from the fifth man inside - 77-year-old Paul-Henry Nargeolet, a former French navy diver and renowned explorer.

"He would know the protocol for trying to alert searching forces… on the hour and the half-hour, you bang like hell for three minutes," Frank added.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, FoxesDeb said:

While I agree that should it become a recovery operation I would like to see their bodies retrieved, given that the migrant boat went down in Greek waters with potentially upwards of 500 souls, I would rather see them retrieved before these. If the world has the resources to retrieve 5 millionnaires from the result of their decision to take a frivolous risk for their own pleasure, it also has by default the same resources to retrieve the bodies of those who met their fate trying to better their lives and those of their families.

Spot on Deb. Now is not the time to get to into but it’s representative of where we are as a community of people 

1 hour ago, stripeyfox said:

The window was designed for 1800 metres, the depth was 4000 metres, it was controlled by a Logitech games controller and had a caravan light in it, the company didn’t do any crack testing (ndt) on the vessel but relied on pressure sensors, because it was used in international waters there were no controls over its safety. It’s looking more likely a tragic accident caused by over confidence.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, tom27111 said:

News that noises have been picked up in the hunt for a missing submersible has offered a glimmer of hope that the five men on board are alive.

Frank Owen, from the Submarine Institute of Australia, says he is confident - based on the information available - the sounds are coming from inside the vessel.

"If there was a 30-minute interval, it's very unlikely to be anything but human related," he told the BBC.

Frank says the noises "smack of advice" coming from the fifth man inside - 77-year-old Paul-Henry Nargeolet, a former French navy diver and renowned explorer.

"He would know the protocol for trying to alert searching forces… on the hour and the half-hour, you bang like hell for three minutes," Frank added.

With time running short, we can only hope those noises are them and they are found safe and well. 

1 hour ago, foxes_rule1978 said:

With time running short, we can only hope those noises are them and they are found safe and well. 

Just watched a vid from a commentator saying even if they are it will be nigh on impossible to retrieve. This is crazy. Wonder how they got lost

Just now, urban.spaceman said:

Apologies if this seems a bit cynical but I just don't get why the billionaires trapped at the bottom of the ocean can't just pull themselves up by their bootstraps. :dunno:

Yeah, I get you. Whatever happened to self-reliance and adapting to fast-changing situations like any good entrepreneur would?

• Like 2

6 hours ago, tom27111 said:

I'd like to propose a different explanation

Screenshot_20230622-054324.thumb.png.25955be4372641ce77a2e63b63dc2a3d.png

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, yorkie1999 said:

The window was designed for 1800 metres, the depth was 4000 metres, it was controlled by a Logitech games controller and had a caravan light in it, the company didn’t do any crack testing (ndt) on the vessel but relied on pressure sensors, because it was used in international waters there were no controls over its safety. It’s looking more likely a tragic accident caused by over confidence.

The window was only certified to withstand depths up to 1280 metres and the lack of conventional pressure testing on the inch thick carbon fiber hull (it was subject to acoustic testing), was also identified as a huge concern during a 2018 lawsuit involving the former director of marine operations, David Lochridge, who flagged significant potential safety issues with the Titan as it was under development in 2015. In addition to that, the chairman of the Marine Technology Society's Submarine Group wrote a letter to OceanGate saying 38 industry experts had "unanimous concern" about the Titan's lack of adherence to industry standards. Stockton Rush has said in interviews that the commercial submarine industry's regulations stood in the way of progress. There is however a waiver for passengers of the Titan clearly stating that the vessel has not been approved or certified by any regulatory body.

It was an accident waiting to happen, but I don't think that it has suffered any catastrophic structural failure or imploded. Rather, as I suggested, it has likely reached the ocean floor and is entangled, is maybe without power, possibly due to a battery failure or has been unable to release its drop weights. There are contingencies and redundancies in place for a loss of power however, but it could simply be that it's crippled. We simply don't know. They have three and a half hours of oxygen left.  If however it has lost power it's possible that this has had an effect on whatever means of eliminating C02 that the vessel employs. The simplest measure is scrubbers. In view of their plight, succumbing to hypercapnia would perhaps be the most peaceful way to end their lives. 

• Like 2