Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Wymsey

Also in the News - Part 2

10 hours ago, tom27111 said:

You'd have thought, especially after the MH70 incident, it'd be a legal requirement for some kind of tracking device to be installed as standard.

It can't be that hard, or that expensive. It's technology that's in wireless headphones. Although, granted, it'd have to be more powerful for something thousands of metres under the ocean, but still.

Maybe it's just close to impossible to detect something that low down in the ocean. Which means we have no way of detecting enemy nuclear subs...

Or maybe (shudder to think) there's been an easy escape route all along, and they're milking the story. 

Ace in the Hole (1951 film) - Wikipedia

15 minutes ago, SkidsFox said:

Maybe it's just close to impossible to detect something that low down in the ocean. Which means we have no way of detecting enemy nuclear subs...

Or maybe (shudder to think) there's been an easy escape route all along, and they're milking the story. 

Ace in the Hole (1951 film) - Wikipedia

Wow that's a bleak film.

The last couple of protracted rescue stories have had successful outcomes.

Chilean Miners and Thai boys in a cave.

If this goes south I wonder if the media will reassess how they report these things.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Captain... said:

If this goes south I wonder if the media will reassess how they report these things.

I doubt it given the amount of clicks they have got.  Expect days of how the tragedy unfolded coverage.

• Like 2

The media have, as ever, stoked up something that was never significant (except to a limited number of obsessives) into a furore. This "20 hours of breathable air remaining"  mularkey and the noises potentially coming from the submersible made it seem as if there was a chance of rescue. The coastguard service(s) has to put up a show. It's expensive, but what else would they be doing anyway.

This morning it's not news and, apart from a mention, it never was real news. Several adventurers, with more chutzpah than sense, decide to have a glegg at the Titanic. And it goes wrong - as these things often do. Tell someone that there's a one-in-four chance they'll die on Everest and they'll still go.

But no newscaster really told the probable story of their demise,  because it's just too awful to imagine.

The real report should have been that a submersible had failed to return to the surface. That there was no hope of a rescue. That the least said about it, the better.

Personally, as a way to die adventuring, I can think of nothing worse.

Edited by gerblod
Predictive texting... again
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, gerblod said:

The media have, as ever, stoked up something that was never significant (except to a limited number of obsessives) into a furore. This "20 hours of breathable air remaining"  mularkey and the noises potentially coming from the submersible made it seem as if there was a chance of rescue. The coastguard service(s) has to put up a show. It's expensive, but what else would they be doing anyway.

This morning it's not news and, apart from a mention, it never was real news. Several adventurers, with more chutzpah than sense, decide to have a glegg at the Titanic. And it goes wrong - as these things often do. Tell someone that there's a one-in-four chance they'll die on Everest and they'll still go.

But no newscaster really told the probable story of their demise,  because it's just too awful to imagine.

The real report should have been that a submersible had failed to return to the surface. That there was no hope of a rescue. That the least said about it, the better.

Personally, as a way to die adventuring, I can think of nothing worse.

The race against time rescue mission is an inherently compelling human story - that's why situations like this always get heavy media coverage. You can argue all day long about whether you think it's real news or not, but media organisations tend to favour stories that they know their readers/viewers/listeners will be interested in. We're their customers - we're not children to be lectured on whether we're allowed to find something interesting or not.

1 hour ago, Captain... said:

I think I should mention this, but those movies you watch are just wrong! 

• Haha 2

8 hours ago, KFS said:

Just watched a vid from a commentator saying even if they are it will be nigh on impossible to retrieve. This is crazy. Wonder how they got lost

Seems like it would take hours to retrieve the sub if possible at all. Looking more and more unlikely they will be found alive 

Edited by foxes_rule1978

29 minutes ago, ClaphamFox said:

The race against time rescue mission is an inherently compelling human story - that's why situations like this always get heavy media coverage. You can argue all day long about whether you think it's real news or not, but media organisations tend to favour stories that they know their readers/viewers/listeners will be interested in. We're their customers - we're not children to be lectured on whether we're allowed to find something interesting or not.

Agree to an extent, however you can't avoid it it is top story on most of the news websites and bulletins. It's being shoved down our throats on news feeds etc. It is of interest because it is ongoing and people want the updates which triggers the algorithms that promotes it up the bill creating a feedback loop as we click again because there is a live rolling news feed.

However other more important news gets buried in the algorithms because it is not sexy enough or doesn't have the repeat click value.

I think news should be ranked by importance and relevance not determined by clicks.

We've got the COVID inquiry ongoing and interest rates rising, but the search for this sub is the top story, with Musk and Zuckerberg fighting in a cage trending in the news feeds. 

Because it's not about what we're interested in it's all about what we will click on. There is 0 actual interest in 5 strangers in a submersible and if the story was 5 people die in submersible it would be there and gone within less than 24 hours. It is news companies feeding into our morbid curiosity by pumping out live feeds and countless updates telling us nothing new just to drive traffic to their sites.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Captain... said:

Agree to an extent, however you can't avoid it it is top story on most of the news websites and bulletins. It's being shoved down our throats on news feeds etc. It is of interest because it is ongoing and people want the updates which triggers the algorithms that promotes it up the bill creating a feedback loop as we click again because there is a live rolling news feed.

However other more important news gets buried in the algorithms because it is not sexy enough or doesn't have the repeat click value.

I think news should be ranked by importance and relevance not determined by clicks.

We've got the COVID inquiry ongoing and interest rates rising, but the search for this sub is the top story, with Musk and Zuckerberg fighting in a cage trending in the news feeds. 

Because it's not about what we're interested in it's all about what we will click on. There is 0 actual interest in 5 strangers in a submersible and if the story was 5 people die in submersible it would be there and gone within less than 24 hours. It is news companies feeding into our morbid curiosity by pumping out live feeds and countless updates telling us nothing new just to drive traffic to their sites.

This is all true, but I don't think the prioritisation of human interest stories over important stories is particularly new. I'm just about old enough to remember when Mark Thatcher went missing in the Sahara during the Paris-Daka rally in the early 1980s. The media were completely obsessed with the story - it was the headline story every night - even though there were plenty of other things going that had a much greater impact on people's lives. There are probably similar examples going back into the 1970s and 1960s, too. It's not just happened because of the internet.

2 hours ago, Captain... said:

The attempted rescue last year of Rayan, the 5yo Moroccan boy who fell down a well, didn't have a successful outcome.

• Sad 1

On the general topic above, I really don't like the idea of news information being a "commodity" subject to the whims of a laissez faire market anyway, because when you do go down that road, then when people just want to be told what they want to hear and satisfy their own confirmation bias rather than what is really true, misinformation and lies become a commodity too.

And that can (and does) result in a whole host of problems.

Edited by leicsmac

1 minute ago, st albans fox said:

The most likely outcome is that the sub will never be found ….. 

Yep. Unless it's gotten tangled in the wreck of the Titanic which is certainly possible, or imploded, it'll be drifting somewhere down there. Took us 70+ years to find the original Titanic despite being a huge ship with a lot of debris around it, this thing is a drawing pin in comparison 

6 minutes ago, The Doctor said:

Yep. Unless it's gotten tangled in the wreck of the Titanic which is certainly possible, or imploded, it'll be drifting somewhere down there. Took us 70+ years to find the original Titanic despite being a huge ship with a lot of debris around it, this thing is a drawing pin in comparison 

I’d be astounded if they haven’t dealt with that possibility already by sending a sub down to the wreckage at the earliest opportunity (which they don’t seem to have done).  The French rov arrived last night and wasn’t immediately deployed down to the wreckage - my guess is that the break of comms when it occurred leads them to think that the titan never got anywhere near the titanic 

Edited by st albans fox

8 minutes ago, SouthStandUpperTier said:

What's the betting that in the distant future some opportunist chancers will offer expensive sub-tours to go and look for the missing sub-tour? A cruel Inception-style twist of irony.

You mean something like rich people will pay to go down on a sub to veiw rich people in a sub that went down to veiw rich people in a ship 

20 minutes ago, SouthStandUpperTier said:

What's the betting that in the distant future some opportunist chancers will offer expensive sub-tours to go and look for the missing sub-tour? A cruel Inception-style twist of irony.

Pretty much certain. 200 years on the Titanic will still be killing rich folk somehow

Honestly feels like we should be leaving it alone outside of research vessels, like gawking at a mass grave

• Like 3