Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Wymsey

Also in the News - Part 2

1 hour ago, leicsmac said:

On the general topic above, I really don't like the idea of news information being a "commodity" subject to the whims of a laissez faire market anyway, because when you do go down that road, then when people just want to be told what they want to hear and satisfy their own confirmation bias rather than what is really true, misinformation and lies become a commodity too.

And that can (and does) result in a whole host of problems.

Agreed - Truth matters so much. Humanity is determined to believe in the concept “if it is true for you then fine” or “live your truth” 

I wish they taught Epistemology at an early age in schools, so that people were more critical and had a firm foundation from where to think about things. 

2 hours ago, ClaphamFox said:

I'm just about old enough to remember when Mark Thatcher went missing in the Sahara during the Paris-Daka rally in the early 1980s. 

Unfortunately, he was found alive and well six days later.

The media was also obsessed with his role in the attempted illegal coup in Equatorial Guinea - rightly so though, given that it transpired his involvement actually had his Mother's endorsement. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Benguin said:

Agreed - Truth matters so much. Humanity is determined to believe in the concept “if it is true for you then fine” or “live your truth” 

I wish they taught Epistemology at an early age in schools, so that people were more critical and had a firm foundation from where to think about things. 

Yeah, I would agree. As well as learning facts, you need to learn how those facts are arrived at.

I will say however that my thinking on this is very utilitarian - the truth in many matters, IMO, simply prevents more harm to people over the long term, and the subjective talking shop where no one is invalidated but no one is right isn't the best survival strategy when it comes to a lot of situations.

1 hour ago, The Doctor said:

Pretty much certain. 200 years on the Titanic will still be killing rich folk somehow

Honestly feels like we should be leaving it alone outside of research vessels, like gawking at a mass grave

agree with this. It does seem a bit macabre to allow people to view the wreck. We've all seen the film, and further scans of the wreck are available so I'm not sure what else can be gained from going to see it.

The wreck is deteriorating quickly and there may be nothing much left in less than 50 years

Analysis by Henrietta Mann and Bhavleen Kaur, both of Dalhousie University in Halifax, Nova Scotia, in conjunction with other scientists and researchers of the University of Seville in Spain, has determined that the wreck of the Titanic will not exist by 2037 and that preservation of the Titanic is impossible. "Unfortunately, because Titanic is 2.3 miles (3.7 km) down, it is very difficult or impossible to preserve. It is film which will preserve it for history now," says Mann. "It has already lasted for 100 years, but eventually there will be nothing left but a rust stain on the bottom of the Atlantic... I think Titanic has maybe 15 or 20 years left. I don't think it will have too much longer than that."[114] Other scientists estimated that the Titanic would last no longer than 14 years, as of 2017.[115]

46 minutes ago, stripeyfox said:

agree with this. It does seem a bit macabre to allow people to view the wreck. We've all seen the film, and further scans of the wreck are available so I'm not sure what else can be gained from going to see it.

The wreck is deteriorating quickly and there may be nothing much left in less than 50 years

Analysis by Henrietta Mann and Bhavleen Kaur, both of Dalhousie University in Halifax, Nova Scotia, in conjunction with other scientists and researchers of the University of Seville in Spain, has determined that the wreck of the Titanic will not exist by 2037 and that preservation of the Titanic is impossible. "Unfortunately, because Titanic is 2.3 miles (3.7 km) down, it is very difficult or impossible to preserve. It is film which will preserve it for history now," says Mann. "It has already lasted for 100 years, but eventually there will be nothing left but a rust stain on the bottom of the Atlantic... I think Titanic has maybe 15 or 20 years left. I don't think it will have too much longer than that."[114] Other scientists estimated that the Titanic would last no longer than 14 years, as of 2017.[115]

I’m sure that they know better than me but viewing the videos of the wreck from last year, there would need to be quite an acceleration in deterioration over the next decade compared with the previous 100 years for this to be the case 

1 hour ago, leicsmac said:

Yeah, I would agree. As well as learning facts, you need to learn how those facts are arrived at.

I will say however that my thinking on this is very utilitarian - the truth in many matters, IMO, simply prevents more harm to people over the long term, and the subjective talking shop where no one is invalidated but no one is right isn't the best survival strategy when it comes to a lot of situations.

I absolutely think people can have relatively happy lives through this approach but how much more glorious, spirited, unified can it be if we build our house (society) on rock (objectivity) rather than sand (subjectivity). 

Anyway fake news, misinformation, echo chambers and truth based on feelings sucks imo. It’s a shame we all, myself included, lap it all up by paying the media to feed it to us. 

• Like 3

20230622_144559.thumb.jpg.85ccb592365afab937a604d21d8a6862.jpg

Well, the dumb takes have arrived from the screaming at woke brigade.

Genuinely is a word that's been made meaningless if people are gonna call a CEO declaring health and safety to be an inconvenience that stands in the way of innovation woke

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, The Doctor said:

20230622_144559.thumb.jpg.85ccb592365afab937a604d21d8a6862.jpg

Well, the dumb takes have arrived from the screaming at woke brigade.

Genuinely is a word that's been made meaningless if people are gonna call a CEO declaring health and safety to be an inconvenience that stands in the way of innovation woke

:dunno: They're culture warrior dinosaurs that can see the second sun of change in the sky but know deep down there's nothing they can do to stop its arrival bar bring down the civilisation they supposedly cherish so much, so they lash out. Pitiable, really.

That being said, that's not to say a lot of damage can't be done by them nor they won't do everything they can to keep control and keep the change from happening (the events of January 6th 2021 as well as loading the US Supreme Court show that clearly), so they do still need to be taken seriously.

13 minutes ago, ian__marshall said:

Apparently a debris field has been found by an ROV near the Titanic. Hopefully it'll offer some clues as to the location of the submersible. 

I'd assume it was the submersible they've found, or wreckage of it. 

Guess we'll hear more at 8pm with the press conference 

50 minutes ago, UniFox21 said:

I'd assume it was the submersible they've found, or wreckage of it. 

Guess we'll hear more at 8pm with the press conference 

Guy on sky news confirms part of the debris includes the landing frame and rear cover of the submersible.

32 minutes ago, UniFox21 said:

You'd assume from that, that the submersible was dragged in a current into something 

or the window popped out but that don't explain the noises..

or they got snagged and then just before oxygen ran out they tried to escape 

Edited by whoareyaaa

I know they lost coms on the descent - does anyone know what depth they were at when that happened. ?

I was under the impression that it was around 3000m depth. Seems strange that debris would be found near the titanic wreck if that was the case ??? (I’m assuming that they would abandon the dive on loss of comms) 

7 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

I know they lost coms on the descent - does anyone know what depth they were at when that happened. ?

I was under the impression that it was around 3000m depth. Seems strange that debris would be found near the titanic wreck if that was the case ??? (I’m assuming that they would abandon the dive on loss of comms) 

Apparently lost comms was such a common occurrence they just cracked on in the past. "deviation from the norm" is a classic engineering safety principle where adjust to deterioration in standards. 

2 minutes ago, Zear0 said:

Apparently lost comms was such a common occurrence they just cracked on in the past. "deviation from the norm" is a classic engineering safety principle where adjust to deterioration in standards. 

I wonder what comms system they used. I’m sure radios wouldn’t work underwater, especially not at the intended depth. 

2 minutes ago, Zear0 said:

I thought there were two means of communicating, both of which should be powered separately from the on board power source ?