Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Wymsey

Also in the News - Part 2

24 minutes ago, whoareyaaa said:

or the window popped out but that don't explain the noises..

or they got snagged and then just before oxygen ran out they tried to escape 

They can’t try to ‘escape’ - they’re bolted in from the outside (and even if they weren’t, they couldn’t survive outside of the craft at those depths)

1 minute ago, yorkie1999 said:

Sonar.

I know sonar is a form of communication, but it doesn’t offer much more than aiding navigation or potentially being able to send a ping or distress signal (similar to an aircraft transponder/SSR).

When I read that there had been a comms failure, I assumed it meant a duplex system to transfer data or voice comms.

8 minutes ago, Leeds Fox said:

I know sonar is a form of communication, but it doesn’t offer much more than aiding navigation or potentially being able to send a ping or distress signal (similar to an aircraft transponder/SSR).

When I read that there had been a comms failure, I assumed it meant a duplex system to transfer data or voice comms.

I think the comms failure was due to the sub imploding. It also sounds like it didn’t work very well in the past. This reminds me of book I once read once a guy called Donald crowhurst who built a boat for the round the world boat race which was full of things that either didn’t work or were just made up, like a navigation computer that didn’t have any electronics in it, basically a dreamer who convinced people that he knew what he was doing.

Edited by yorkie1999

A rescue was always practically impossible if the craft had become stranded at depth. Of course they had to try and they might have been able to recover it - given enough time.

An instantaneous death for the occupants is probably the kinder way to go.

Very sad for all those concerned.

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, yorkie1999 said:

I think the comms failure was due to the sub imploding. It also sounds like it didn’t work very well in the past. This reminds me of book I once read once a guy called Donald crowhurst who built a boat for the round the world boat race which was full of things that either didn’t work or were just made up, like a navigation computer that didn’t have any electronics in it, basically a dreamer who convinced people that he knew what he was doing.

Yeah, it’s obvious that nothing was going to work with the vessel imploding. I wasn’t looking for information on why it had failed, just what type of system it was and what lines or comms they could’ve had available. All irrelevant now. 

I just wondered if the type of comms system that was used had been specified (in a very boring sense, it interested me due to my line of work).

Sounded like the company were a proper s**t show.

9 minutes ago, bovril said:

Very sad but irony levels off the chart that this group of rich guys probably got killed by corner cutting and their own arrogance while looking for... The Titanic

I think you’ll find that everything we do regarding any form of transport has always been done by corner cutting and then learning from what went wrong and then putting regulations in place to stop it happening again. In a hundred years, people will be diving to the deepest parts of the oceans seeking thrills in complete safety. We only learn through failures and then eliminating them.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, EastAnglianFox said:

If it was an instant implosion then I wonder what those noises were that had been recored 

There's so many sounds recorded in the ocean and it travels so far and keeps its strength unlike the air. I'd imagine the sensitivity and the amount of equipment they had down there it would have been very noisy even on a quiet day. 

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Leeds Fox said:

Yeah, it’s obvious that nothing was going to work with the vessel imploding. I wasn’t looking for information on why it had failed, just what type of system it was and what lines or comms they could’ve had available. All irrelevant now. 

I just wondered if the type of comms system that was used had been specified (in a very boring sense, it interested me due to my line of work).

Sounded like the company were a proper s**t show.

Would have been the ideal shirt sponsors for us last season. 

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, Collymore said:

Surely a cable connected from the surface that would give comms, air and also a tether is a sensible and fairly cost effective choice? Seems a crazy design. 

Whether that’s feasible or not, it would have made no difference to survival of the occupants on this occasion as the catastrophic failure was irrespective of air supply and comms 

it would have saved a lot of money on the rescue op though 

50 minutes ago, yorkie1999 said:

I think you’ll find that everything we do regarding any form of transport has always been done by corner cutting and then learning from what went wrong and then putting regulations in place to stop it happening again. In a hundred years, people will be diving to the deepest parts of the oceans seeking thrills in complete safety. We only learn through failures and then eliminating them.

Sadly, it's human nature to cut corners and not learn from the mistakes of the past. That will never change, particularly where money is involved. People forget pain too easily.